It's extremely difficult to draw a line, where you want the film and its effects to end up. Do you want to push it to where the effects of the 70's looks more real, or the way it looked at the first screening on May 25th 1977. Or perhaps push the material to the very edge and make it really shiny, like it was shot, composited last week, and not 40 years ago. Like when they re-composite an effect shot, and we lose the black matte lines. Maybe add in fake matte lines after the fact. A trillion small options that all have a small impact on the whole.
Well, the difference is that the contrast between light and dark on the original plate isn't as visible as in the restored piece. Space is BLACK in Mverta's version, where it is grainy and greyish black in the original. Maybe lowering the contrast and perhaps brightening things a bit, so the black isn't so dominant will remove the sharp edges. I don't know how else to describe it. But sure, I'm not that knowledgeable about such things, so maybe I'm just all sorts of wrong.

They need to offer a seamless branching technology version where you can drill down scene-by-scene what version you want to compose and then have it play the film on Bluray based on user preference. Everyone wins! It could be the Ultimate Generations Edition.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They need to offer a seamless branching technology version where you can drill down scene-by-scene what version you want to compose and then have it play the film on Bluray based on user preference. Everyone wins! It could be the Ultimate Generations Edition.

Been saying this for YEARS.

They could give us 100 different ways to watch it but 95 percent of the public would all want it about the same way: Improved print/color quality, lots of (subtle) technical SFX improvements, and no artistic changes. Another 3-4 percent would want an original cut with just the color/print fixes. Maybe 1-2% would play around with it much beyond that.

We are always making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Disney just needs to offer one package. Two discs. One disc for the 95%, the other disc for the 3-4%.

That last 1-2% (us) probably wouldn't even exist separately from the 3-4% if it wasn't for all the bad versions of SW we've been dealing with. How many people talk about wanting to customize their version of a Terminator movie so individually?

Yes. It's so obvious, but still it hasn't happened!

...We are always making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Disney just needs to offer one package. Two discs. One disc for the 95%, the other disc for the 3-4%...
I'll make it even simpler. Restore the movie to the way it was when it was originally released in 1977, and leave it at that. It was a product of the era in which it was made, and it should be preserved as such. If it was good enough in 1977 to become the phenomenon it has become, it's good enough.

Of course, until someone in an official position at Disney and/or Lucasfilm announces it's going to happen, this is all just mental masturbation--it makes us feel good for a moment or two, but ultimately accomplishes nothing.

I'll make it even simpler. Restore the movie to the way it was when it was originally released in 1977, and leave it at that. It was a product of the era in which it was made, and it should be preserved as such. If it was good enough in 1977 to become the phenomenon it has become, it's good enough.

Of course, until someone in an official position at Disney and/or Lucasfilm announces it's going to happen, this is all just mental masturbation--it makes us feel good for a moment or two, but ultimately accomplishes nothing.

Not as easy as it sounds, seeing as how there were different versions being screened already on day 1: May 25th 1977 ;) different prints, different sound mixes etc

Not as easy as it sounds, seeing as how there were different versions being screened already on day 1: May 25th 1977 ;) different prints, different sound mixes etc

Do it like was done for Blade Runner - offer an all-inclusive more expensive special version and then offer the newest version as a standalone offering. If it can be done for that movie, and so many others, then it can be done for Star Wars.

Do it like was done for Blade Runner - offer an all-inclusive more expensive special version and then offer the newest version as a standalone offering. If it can be done for that movie, and so many others, then it can be done for Star Wars.

Definitely :) I have the 5 version HD-DVD edition. Only watched three though :p

Hadn't seen this here:

Gareth Edwards:

On day one, we were in Lucasfilm in San Francisco with Industrial Light and Magic and John Knoll, our supervisor, he said that they’ve got a brand new 4K restoration print of A New Hope – it had literally just been finished. He suggested we sit and watch it. Obviously, I was up for that. Me, the writer, lots of the story people and John all sat down, we all had our little notepads, we were all ready for this. I’ll add that I’ve seen A New Hope hundreds of times. So I was sat there, ready to take notes and really delve under the surface of the film. You have the Fox fanfare, then scrolling text with ‘A long time ago…’, and then the main music begins. Next thing we knew it had ended, and we looked around to one another and just thought – ****, we didn’t take any notes. You can’t watch it without getting carried away. It’s really hard to get into an analytical filmmaker headspace with this film. It just turns you into a child.

From here: http://lwlies.com/interviews/gareth-edwards-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/

But where does it say that the 4K restoration was of the unalterered movie?

IIRC the resolution of 35mm film equates to at least 5k or more.
I have seen written before around this forum that a theatrical print (a nth-generation copy for distribution to be shown in theatres), should retain quality comparable to 2K on the horizontal. But being anamorphic, the vertical resolution should be closer to that of non-anamorphic 4K. (2048 * 2.34 * 3/4 = 3594.2)

Fair enough. But surely those differences were nowhere near as drastic as the differences between those theatrical versions and Lucas' not-so-Special Editions with the added scenes and completely redone effects sequences. So pick one of the theatrical versions, restore it, and release that on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Fair enough. But surely those differences were nowhere near as drastic as the differences between those theatrical versions and Lucas' not-so-Special Editions with the added scenes and completely redone effects sequences. So pick one of the theatrical versions, restore it, and release that on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Enter the Legacy edition, which hopefully will get the greenlight and get a release. And maybe, just maybe, Mike Verta gets hired to do the same with Empire and Jedi.

Time and time again companies show that they suck at restoration.

But where does it say that the 4K restoration was of the unalterered movie?

Well, given that the additional material is (as far as we know) locked in at 1080p resolution, it seems improbable that they'd have it at 4K. I'd think it'd look a little worse at 4K, although it's possible they just used upscaling software to handle it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back