Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

I can't wait for proper discussions to see what people think. Gareth said at the premiere that he really wanted the fans feedback and he was quite pleased with the audience reactions.

"...for the original generation of “Star Wars” fans who weren’t sure what to make of episodes one, two, and three, “Rogue One” is the prequel they’ve always wanted."

That's what I wanted to hear :)

Last edited by a moderator:
the herald review is pretty much what i expect this to be. but i at leat hope there is more meat to it than there was in TFA's.

if not, i fear for disney star wars to not be able to expand past nostalgia.

Personally, I just thought the Trade Federation sounded dumb with an accent period. And I did get an Asian vibe at that time when first hearing the voice. Also Binks with some Rasta Jamaican accent was too much. It's the exaggeration of a stereotype that gets you in trouble. Wtf, they all have to sound like that? Just because Jango actor is NZ Maori (?), I don't think all Mandos are. His character just was.

I was annoyed with the "Niemoidians". Why they didn't just make them Duros with better effects, I don't know. I loved those guys in the Cantina. I loved the sound of their language. I would have preferred they were speaking a developed form of that, with subtitles. Ditto the Gungans. Boss Nass and Jar-Jar were horrible caricatures, but the rest of them were a good solid alien race. I would have preferred they were speaking their language (that we caught snippets of) with subtitles. I had no problem with the subtitles as a kid who was under 10 still by the time all the OT were out.

As for the Mandalorians... Jon Favreau played Pre Vizsla in Clone Wars. He and his Death Watch in the early episodes sounded pretty much alike when speaking English, so we can presume that to be a/the Concordian accent. Rako Hardeen (or at least Obi-Wan's portrayal of him) sounded much the same. He was called the "marksman of Concord Dawn", though, which was -- in the EU -- where Jango was from. So there's a chance he's from Concordia and fled to Concord Dawn, and that Jango's represents the actual Concord Dawn accent... Or it's possible that Jango picked up his accent elsewhere... Having now met Fenn Rau out by Concord Dawn, and him sounding mostly the same as the other animated warrior Mandos again, it lends more credence to the latter. *shrug* What doesn't make sense is all the clones (including Boba) having that same accent. Accents aren't genetic. Meanwhile, the New Mandalorians, on Mandalore itself, mostly had the familiar vaguely British/Mid-Atlantic accent the larger galactic society seems to have. Which is also Gar Saxon's accent.

--Jonah

Wow, that makes me more excited to go!!!! WHOOOOOHOOOO!!! I got tickets & going with amazing ppl :lol

Just got back from a special pre-screening. Simply out of words to describe it. New and old fans alike would love it. You'd be amazed with what you see. Great cast, great story and amazing cinematography give it a very epic feel, even more so than TFA. 5 out of 5 for me.

There's that good ol' NeilT optimism!

Lets see.. TFA = A New hope Part 3.

Rebels = Nostalgia overload, not much depth.

i think i've got a pretty good argument.

show me something worth hoping over, then i'll get excited..

The Clone Wars, on the other hand, renewed my faith in star wars.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back