RIP John Glenn

There were just saying something about him on the news this morning, but I didn't catch what. Have they said what time he died? The news couldn't have known this morning right?

I remember in 1998 when he was about to launch in the space shuttle. I was sitting in math class and knew the shuttle would be launching only a few minutes before the bell rang for the end of the day. My teacher wouldn't let us out early to see it, even though we weren't even doing anything. I didn't like that teacher.

The man lived to be 95. It's the passing of an icon, certainly, but not exactly a tragedy. I'm not going to count him in my 2016 sucks file.

Kirk Douglas is over a hundred, has come back from a stroke, and is still going. The numbers don't really matter. Having lived a full life doesn't really matter. I don't know that anyone is ever "ready to go".

I got to meet him years ago, when I worked at a camera store in McLean VA. He had been chosen to be Grand Marshall of the Rose Bowl parade, and on their way to the airport he and his wife came into my store to buy a camcorder. They were obviously in a hurry so they had no time to chat, so I just helped with the camera and they left. I saw him on TV in the parade car, video taping the event, pretty cool. I still have the camcorder box, which he didn't take with him :lol

A few years earlier they went to the jewelry counter in the exchange at Quantico where my mom worked at the time, and she sold them some jewelry.

It's hard to see a childhood hero pass on, especially one that you've met. God speed, John Glenn :(

I didn't even know he was sick until last night when it was said he was in the hospital and that his family said it didn't look good. We're running out of astronauts who actually did things to make a difference in space, these guys are the last of the non-bureaucrats of nasa.

Kirk Douglas is over a hundred, has come back from a stroke, and is still going. The numbers don't really matter. Having lived a full life doesn't really matter. I don't know that anyone is ever "ready to go".

When Kirk Douglas passes on the public reaction will be "Whoa, he was still alive?"

I remember he appeared onstage with Michael at some award show. It was at least 5 years ago and the feeling in the air was already like that.

One of the elite for sure, loved how he went back up in space again, they don't make them like him anymore......

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back