The Future of Star Wars?

Star Wars is a big universe, much like Marvel's (Disney) Avengers, they have big plans. We've only seen stage 1 so far.

Theme parks will follow. Classic Disney Princesses and Mike Mouse still sell too. Disney is in for the long haul here!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Star Wars is a big universe, much like Marvel's (Disney) Avengers, they have big plans. We've only seen stage 1 so far.

Theme parks will follow. Classic Disney Princesses and Mike Mouse still sell too. Disney is in for the long haul here!

I agree, they will want to blow SW up to the size of the Marvel universe on all fronts. But I think Marvel is over-saturated too.

I take Spice almost literally from Frank Hebert's DUNE. Dune really is a bible for most modern Science Fiction, highly recommend.

In short, its a mind-expanding drug and a little more. This is why Jabba is such a ruthless and powerful crimelord. A lot of good story in the Anthology films could center around this.

Yeah, I knew about the Dune reference, but I never really associated SW Spice with Dune Spice. In Dune the spice is a major factor in the story. In SW it's just mentioned in ANH as kind of a throw away item and never really spoken of again throughout the series. If SW spice was as powerful as Dune spice I think it would play a more major factor in the story. I mean, if it could do the things it does in Dune, why aren't the Jedi or the Sith all over this stuff?

what lies ahead for the star wars industry.

DISNEY DILUTION.

TOYS...TOYS.....and more TOYS....more stupid toys than even George Lucas could imagine once he realised his own creation was a toy cash cow.

Make no mistake Disney will destroy Stars Wars to the point of X-Men, Avengers...blah, blah, blah.

Rinse and Repeat.

The Junior Han Solo Movie.
The Boba Fett Movie
The Young C3PO Saga
The Leia Chronicles
The Hutt Legacy

And so on and so forth.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where marvel's worn out it's welcome or been diluted at this point. If anything, it's had it's customer base vastly expanded. Plus, they do movies 2-3 times a year as opposed to SW being once a year - at least so far.

Seems to me they don't seem to be over-reaching at all. In fact, they seem to be following marvel's pace with a small amount of extra steam. They bought star wars to make movies. So, they flat out said they were making 7-9 (which were musts in my book) and talked about anthology movies. The anthology movie became Rogue 1. I think if R1 bombs atrociously, there may be no more anthology movies. If 7-9 fail by 9, there will be no 10-12 or anything else for a good while. Marvel didn't commit to the real long term publicly until post Avengers - i.e. post a massively huge hit. Iron Man and Capt. America were big hits, too, but the avengers success was beyond their wildest dreams. They then book out really long range.

At this point the only 100% committed SW movies are 7-9 and R1. More than that is based on their success and appeal. You can't ask for much more than that. One of the reasons for breaks in SW was that it was run by 1 guy who, after 10 years solely devoted to it, needed a break. It's not one guy any longer, it's a team. Freshness can still be there. And quite honestly, going long term is more in line with original vision of being like the serials in old theaters. They didn't do 3 installments of flash gordon and the leave it alone long term. It was an ongoing story. Doing them in trilogies allows them to keep going but also have defined start and end points.

The fact that they may make more toys than the north pole doesn't mean anything to the movies themselves. If they had made truckloads of Godfather toys, it still doesn't change the fact they were two oscar winning movies.

I agree, they will want to blow SW up to the size of the Marvel universe on all fronts. But I think Marvel is over-saturated too.

i fully agree. disney now rushes to pump out these films, not really caring on the story just to sell more product.

this is my fear from star wars. with pumping out a film each year... i sure hope they dont screw this up the way they have gone with marvel

This last decade has felt like a bit of a golden age to me with so many great movies being made.If I take into account just how much the general quality of television series has also improved then the reason my shelves are collapsing under the weight of Blurays and DVDs is pretty clear.
The movies and series we are getting are generally improving.
As a keen follower of film production since I became a reader of Cinefex back in the 80's it seems to be the case that that most of the major film studios have finally twigged that the best people to creatively influence what goes to directly into the films they fund are actually people who are fans of the genre. People who primarily understand,enjoy and want to make those kind of movies that were as compelling to them as they are to the paying BO public.
In alot of cases those people would say their landmark films are most often the original trilogy of SW films, or "Alien" or "Bladerunner". Same as us.
With SW Its got to have been very difficult to know where to pitch the tone and era of these standalone films. The original movie is nearly forty years old so what made those films such a huge hit with the first generations of SW fans may not be true of everyone born after they were originally released. Its like Coca cola. Messing with a product that has huge popularity and brand recognition is a highly dangerous thing.Get it badly wrong ie New Coke and it can cause untold damage. Leave it totally alone and unchanged and the line gradually risks stagnation.
So "Rogue One" kind of represents another kind of experiment for LF and Disney.
If it is very well recieved then its highly likely that more of the next set of standalones will be written in that time period because it will have struck the truest and strongest cord again with the fandom. If they get heavily critisized for just playing it safe again by redoing all the same old stuff, ie Stormtroopers, Death Star, Darth Vader , deserts planets ................. I can hear it all now.
If it does middling box office then perhaps they'll think about trying other kinds of stories with newer characters and time periods . To be honest they can do that later anyway as the mythology for Episodes 7,8 and 9 evolves. But its a definite brand test. To see if the tone of that first SW film four decades ago can be replicated and even improved upon so successfully that it passes that crucially taste test with the fans so that we'll just go mad for it again.
I personally think alot of SW fans will enjoy a movie that CAN stand by itself, rather than have to wait a couple of years for the next one to unfold. Lucasfilm and Disney also know that TFA for all its strengths also had a few problems that were mostly forgiven by a public desparate for any reasonably good SW movie, but due to the speed and pressure that they were under to get it out there that it could also have been much better. But it did its job, people liked alot of it if not all of it and for a new generation many of the new characters were well liked and hits .
Given all that I have seen in trailers, clips and so forth I think "Rogue One" is going to be a huge hit. I also think that Lucasfilm can "relax" enough after Xmas to start to think where they can go with alot of the standalone stories.
Like others here I'm not certain about the Han Solo film because their choice of Han seems debatable , given the couple of films I've now seen him in. But I can think of dozens of other types of stories they could set in the SW universe with other characters that could be just as compelling .
And just as importantly I think there are dozens of writers, directors, artists, actors ,film makers etc who are just as keen as we are to recapture the magic of the original "A New Hope" in their own SW movies and put it on screen under the carefully guidance and watchful eye of Lucasfilm.
Lets be honest It was simply too big a task for one man to manage and I am grateful to George Lucas for having stepped aside and let it evolve under the care and stewardship of newish blood.
Keep rolling them out , one new SW film a year is an unbelievable oasis of luxury to the deserts we were left with years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

i fully agree. disney now rushes to pump out these films, not really caring on the story just to sell more product.

this is my fear from star wars. with pumping out a film each year... i sure hope they dont screw this up the way they have gone with marvel

You think they screwed up MARVEL???????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Sir ,you have remarkably high standards that the gods alone can only satisfy.

I see what you mean but how can you objectively say Disney has screwed up Marvel? I can uderstand if you personally didn't like a couple of their films or artistic directions but from a financial, customer base and even critical standpoint, Disney's Marvel Cinematic universe has exceeded expectations.

One difference is that Marvel started in comic books, and fans can separate the Cinema from pulp history, they can be separate things. With Star Wars, it's Cinema first.

Star wars will always be there, aggressively pummeling the culture in its face over and over again. It'll be neverending, but I think fans will ultimately drop in and out of the fandom, which is fine. It's a very big world, like the Marvel world. It'll pick up new fans along the way, and everyone will have different memories associated with the franchise. So regardless what the individual thinks or feels, it's a beast that is very much alive and won't stop. Disney certainly hasn't screwed up with anything. They've been managing things quite well so far. People just like to bitch and moan about everything these days.

I just dont like where they have gone with a lot of their films. civil war i think has to be the best marvel movie out there. i just cant get into the rest of them. i think age of ultron was a joke, one of the worse movies they made. again this is just my personal preference, i was super super hyped of AoA but left disappointed. i love iron man 1, and i even like iron man 3, when many of my friends hate it. both thor films, hulk which i have to be careful because some films like fantastic four which is owned by disney, yet they lease the franchise to fox? is that how it works? fantastic four was horrible as well... why would disney let other companys use their characters only to product a crap film? .. because disney still owns the rights and with more toys they make more money.

another marvel movie i like, when many of my friends didnt was ant man.

so i guess you all can say i have weird taste lol. i just think they rush things to pump these movies out to sell more toys. i still go to the theater to see most of the marvel films (ill skip dr strange because i was never a fan of him, and honest stopped reading books today because of all these alter universes now, i just dont feel it) unlike fox, where i have given up totally in the Xmen series. days of future past i thought was awesome, apocalypses, had such a great opportunity which only got flushed down the toilet. i won't even waste the time and money to go see a Xmen film anymore...

sorry for the negativity guys :(

JJ has nothing to do with 8 and 9 beyond an Executive Producer role. If you don't like TFA thats fine but to not see 8 or 9 based on that makes no sense.

I do not find the new characters interesting at all, I simply don't care about them. and did not care for what they did to the original characters fates after ROTJ either,
I found it to be repugnant. JJ Wars poisoned the water for me on this trilogy. Film is about stirring emotions after all and TFA stirred revulsion for me on multiple levels not to mention creative bankruptcy telling ANH all over again, it makes total sense for me I don't want to see more of that. And that is OK. People have different tastes, I hate beer and football too, they are popular but not for me. So go to a game and have a brew anyways? LOL
Nope.

Last edited:
so i guess you all can say i have weird taste lol. i just think they rush things to pump these movies out to sell more toys. i still go to the theater to see most of the marvel films (ill skip dr strange because i was never a fan of him, and honest stopped reading books today because of all these alter universes now, i just dont feel it) unlike fox, where i have given up totally in the Xmen series. days of future past i thought was awesome, apocalypses, had such a great opportunity which only got flushed down the toilet. i won't even waste the time and money to go see a Xmen film anymore...

You are confused on the different Marvel movie rights and studios. Prior to Disney buying Marvel, the separate movie rights were already scattered in the industry.

FOX owns the MOVIE rights to X-men and FF only. And yes, Fox has made a mess of things.

Likewise Sony has been up and down with Spiderman. Sony owns Spidey movie rights. Disney and Sony have started a new co-partnership with the Spidey franchise, recast Spidey, rebooted him (again) and wedged him into the Avengers franchise as seen in Civil War. I like where this is going, finally.

Disney has enough cash from box office receipts that I think they will wrestle more movie rights (FF) and individual characters back under their cinematic control. Disney probably doesn't even want X-men with the exception of Wolverine.

I should add, try Dr. Strange. Fantastic imaginative fun. I enjoyed the movie more than any version of him in the comic book!

Last edited:
Iron Man 2 had serious creative problems, which pulled the rug out from under what could have been a good story with good characters. Iron Man 3 should have been two films. Edward Norton is a good actor, but no Bruce Banner -- but they fixed that. Those are my only real criticisms of the MCU. So far, every Marvel film I walk out o after the end credits, I agonize that I have to wait so long til the next one. That, to me, indicates a distinct lack of "oversaturation".

With Star Wars... *thinks* The pace of the films is okay, I like Rebels well enough, I like the Marvel comics a lot... Where Star Wars is falling down for me is the novels and the games and models and toys. I want Hasbro to focus on "regular" and Black series in 3" and 3 3/4" scales, rather than the larger scales. Keep the good old 3 3/4" line in Black Series for the high detail stuff, for those of us who have been collecting Star Wars figures in that scale since 1978. And do the smaller scale for more playablity. That was the same scale as Kenner's M.A.S.K. toy line, and equates to 1:24 scale, so you can have the vehicles be more proportionate, to themselves and to the figures. When Kenner was doing M.A.S.K. in the mid-'80s, they toyed (ha) with the idea of rescaling their Star Wars figures to the same scale, so it's not unthinkable:

vader-mask-mockup.jpg

Given Fine Molds' awesome model kit offerings, I was shocked and dismayed they lost their license. I was wanting to see ever more SW kits from them -- I wanted to do more ships in 1:72, rather than the all-over-the-place scales of the Revell kits (which are also pre-painted and snap-together, so I don't really consider them model kits in the first place). I'm thrilled that we finally have a James Luceno book in the new canon, I'm as iffy as ever on Tim Zahn, but I'd really like to see Matt Stover show up again. And I would dearly love a return of flight-sim games -- Clone Wars to TFA era. I adore the old games from X-Wing on up.

As far as a more general future...? I'm hoping, after Episode IX and all the anthology films coming out, they take a few years to sort stuff out, and take us back to the KOTOR era, three millennia or so before the movies, and do a properly episodic tellin of the Saga going forward, ultimately getting to and rebooting the PT and OT, expanding them out to the number of films originally intended by George, and carrying forward post-Endor to show the Battle of Jakku, the new Jedi, the problems in forming a New Republic, and eventually get to the rise of the First Order. I know, as with Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, many are loathe to contemplate any other actors in those roles... Yet, it's the only way to address short-sightedness, mistakes, or omissions the extant offerings have.

--Jonah

Last edited:
You are confused on the different Marvel movie rights and studios. Prior to Disney buying Marvel, the separate movie rights were already scattered in the industry.

FOX owns the MOVIE rights to X-men and FF only. And yes, Fox has made a mess of things.

Likewise Sony has been up and down with Spiderman. Sony owns Spidey movie rights. Disney and Sony have started a new co-partnership with the Spidey franchise, recast Spidey, rebooted him (again) and wedged him into the Avengers franchise as seen in Civil War. I like where this is going, finally.

Disney has enough cash from box office receipts that I think they will wrestle more movie rights (FF) and individual characters back under their cinematic control. Disney probably doesn't even want X-men with the exception of Wolverine.

I should add, try Dr. Strange. Fantastic imaginative fun. I enjoyed the movie more than any version of him in the comic book!

yes, i get so confused over the ownerships and rights of each franchise.:wacko you brought up spiderman. spiderman is my all time favorite super hero. Sam raimi i think did a AMAZING! job with spiderman 1 + 2. those are classics in my eyes. tobey maguire will always go down in history for me as "peter parker"

what i fear will happen to star wars is what song did with spiderman. raimi brought out these 2 killer spiderman movies! and then when raimi presented the ideas for spiderman 3, sony wanted more bad guys, sony wanted venom! raimi fought with them over having too many villains and sticking to the golden age of spiderman. sony wanted more toys, more cups, more towels, more pencil erases.

raimi had to write these characters in, and the film was trash... if they only allowed him to keep that 1 villain, which was sandman. the movie would have done better, the franchise would have continued and spidy4 would have happened. inside we got a garbage amazing spiderman 1, which i cant even believe they tried a sequel... which was a laughing stock

if my memory serves me correct, raimi wasn't signed on for spidy 4? i wonder what he thinks of the franchise now

i tell ya what, in civil war they introduced spiderman. I LOVED IT! i think that kid portrayed parker awesome!! my favorite part was "dude you got a robot arm?! cool" the line went something like that, when the small frame spiderman catches buckys hard left punch lol loved it!!

i am preying homecoming is awesome! im super excited for it

i just fear disney will get wrapped up in producing product, and stop caring about story... like age of ultron... im very protective of some stuff. like I've said, i have a HUGE collection of xmen books, from 1993 all the way up to... i think its 04. once grant morrison left and went to DC, i gave up collecting then and only grabbed books on occasion. so after seeing how good they did with X1, and then BLEW me away with X2, only to be let down with X3. then let down with every wolverine movie ( and im not a wolvie fan at all), then the franchise came back to life with the reboot with first class, which i loved, then followed it up with days of future past! loved it! only to leave the theater in disgust after seeing apocalypse ...

im going to have to check out Dr strange when it comes out.

My wish, when I heard Disney bought Star Wars, was that there would be one new Star Wars film every three years. I thought: do Ep VII in '15, Ep VIII in '18, and Ep IX in '21. Then, beginning in '24, I would've begun doing standalone films--also, one every 3 years. These films deserve that kind of serious investment of time to get great scripts (not retreads of ANH), un-rushed casting, un-rushed principle, and un-rushed post. 'However, I know they spent $4B on the franchise and such a slow pace would never fly with the Powers-That-Be at Disney. So, what I was realistically hoping for was one film every 2 years. They're taking an awful risk in rushing these films out so quickly. I can only pray the quality will be there. So far, they're off to a miserable start.

The Wook

i just fear disney will get wrapped up in producing product, and stop caring about story... like age of ultron... im very protective of some stuff. like I've said, i have a HUGE collection of xmen books, from 1993 all the way up to... i think its 04. once grant morrison left and went to DC, i gave up collecting then and only grabbed books on occasion. so after seeing how good they did with X1, and then BLEW me away with X2, only to be let down with X3. then let down with every wolverine movie ( and im not a wolvie fan at all), then the franchise came back to life with the reboot with first class, which i loved, then followed it up with days of future past! loved it! only to leave the theater in disgust after seeing apocalypse ...

im going to have to check out Dr strange when it comes out.

Dr. Strange has been out for a while. I love it. I'd definitely urge you to not lump what Fox and Sony do with their licensed properties in with what Marvel is doing directly. Fox has been all over the place with their stuff. A dozen films -- X-Men and FF -- and I only consider five above mediocre. Sony did angst-y Peter Parker okay, but I never considered that true to the core of the character. The first Andrew Garfield Spider-Man I felt they hit it out of the park. Before dropping the ball on the second. So far I'm liking Tom Holland, and I have more faith now that Sony is having to work with Marvel on it. The MCU so far consists of fourteen films. Ten of those I consider amazing, two okay, and two problematic. That is a good record, especially compared to Fox's, who have done three I consider amazing and two okay.

This from the point of view of someone who has been collecting X-Men books since 1979 and finally gave up on them in the late '90s when everything was too all over the place.

--Jonah

i honest fear the han solo movie. i really hope they dont throw 30 thousand things into 1 flick. the rumor is we hear he wins the falcon in the film? which i thought was cool, but now wish he already has the falcon in the film. and i hope he's already teamed up with chewie.

another rumor im hearing is he wins the kessel run as well.. also boba fett will be in it along with lando

- han meets chewie
- they become great friends
- han wins falcon from lando
- han pisses off boba fett
- han wins kessel run

too coincidental for me, i hope they lay low with all the solo folklore... i hope all these rumors aren't true and we get a fresh new story. give us something we didnt know about han.

last i hear was it was going to be a western which i think would be real cool! han and chewie in the west, and the town baddie boba fett...

My wish, when I heard Disney bought Star Wars, was that there would be one new Star Wars film every three years. I thought: do Ep VII in '15, Ep VIII in '18, and Ep IX in '21. Then, beginning in '24, I would've begun doing standalone films--also, one every 3 years. These films deserve that kind of serious investment of time to get great scripts (not retreads of ANH), un-rushed casting, un-rushed principle, and un-rushed post. 'However, I know they spent $4B on the franchise and such a slow pace would never fly with the Powers-That-Be at Disney. So, what I was realistically hoping for was one film every 2 years. They're taking an awful risk in rushing these films out so quickly. I can only pray the quality will be there. So far, they're off to a miserable start.

The Wook

I liked TFA too much to agree with the 'miserable start' part but I agree with the general sentiment. It doesn't matter how many fresh people they throw at SW movies, you can't make the public feel fresh about it perpetually. It needs breaks. Disney probably won't give it enough.

SpiderMan is the textbook example (horror story?) of banging out too much without a break. What could they possibly do with SM now that would feel fresh? Nothing. The public is tired of it.

The problem is that the box-office earnings of too many stale movies can outweigh the earnings of a few occasional really good ones. The movie studios aren't in this to make great art. If mediocre overexposure makes more money than occasional masterpieces then they don't see a problem. Mediocre overexposure it is.

I liked TFA too much to agree with the 'miserable start' part but I agree with the general sentiment. It doesn't matter how many fresh people they throw at SW movies, you can't make the public feel fresh about it perpetually. It needs breaks. Disney probably won't give it enough.

SpiderMan is the textbook example (horror story?) of banging out too much without a break. What could they possibly do with SM now that would feel fresh? Nothing. The public is tired of it.

The problem is that the box-office earnings of too many stale movies can outweigh the earnings of a few occasional really good ones. The movie studios aren't in this to make great art. If mediocre overexposure makes more money than occasional masterpieces then they don't see a problem. Mediocre overexposure it is.

maximum carnage saga baby!!!! dying to see that!

Don't forget the cartoons like Rebels and Clone Wars. Love watching them with my kids and i don't take them as seriously as the films, a good compromise.

I took Clone Wars a lot more seriously than I did the prequels.

I think a lot of the furure will depend on how Rogue One does. It looks more like a movie aimed at adults. The worst thing they could do is follow Paramounts example and how they milked Star Trek for quick cash with the stories getting dumber and dumber until the new three that were bland scifi action movies.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back