Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

I believe Dharma quit selling the natural colored hemp jersey. I got the white and dyed it with Taupe RIT. I'm not sure if others did the same, but it's quite thin so I doubled it up. http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/55-Hemp-45-Cotton-Jersey-61.html

Here's the current link for the UK crinkle viscose: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131829657205. 3 meters was plenty for me, at 5'5".

As for my progress... I just finished modding my Signals satchel! Minus the Alice clip. My fingers are killing me. :cry Sooo glad it's done, though. All I have left is putting together the staff kit and weathering! And making the backpack, too, eventually...

http://i.imgur.com/6uj2H8kl.jpg

Thanks so much, for the fabric links...fabrics ordered...Your bag looks amazing!!!!

For the off white I have scraps of an old sheet and cheesecloth coffee dyed. The sheet has a nice mottled look to it, but I think that the cheesecloth looks better overall.

There are some good pictures on Kendra's post, Page 78 of this thread, where she was adapting her gloves. I used them to help me make my gloves, they're great. Hope this helps and of course many thanks to Kendra.

Oh, wow, that will help. Thanks DidiUK and Kendra!

Oh, wow, that will help. Thanks DidiUK and Kendra!

You are welcome ! :) I used a 0.7/1mm brown nubuck leather for the back of the gloves.
DSC04713.JPG

Last edited:
Does anyone have any good leads on cotton crepe bandages for the arm wraps? I accidentally ruined the Boots ones Kristen sent me - went a little too crazy with the spray paint. :cry I've found some on Amazon that look similar, but I was really hoping to have this costume done this weekend, so something I can possibly find locally would be nice.

could you perhaps turn them inside out and do the other side, or had you done both sides to start with?

I did both sides... :facepalm I thought they looked great when I sprayed them in the garage, but when I held them up to the rest of the outfit - way too dark. I'd be fine if they were a tad bit too dark, but they're darker than the tabard wraps... when they should be just slightly darker than the shirt.

When I weathered my first headwrap I overdid it with the spray paint too. I washed/dried it and it did remove some of it and lightened it all up a bit You might try that.

When I weathered my first headwrap I overdid it with the spray paint too. I washed/dried it and it did remove some of it and lightened it all up a bit You might try that.

Yup, I tried that. Didn't really affect the color much, but it did affect the texture. Now I'm kind of scared to weather the rest of the stuff... but, on the bright side, at least the thing I ruined isn't something I spent hours making. It's just hard to find. :p

Fortunately a friend gave me her bandages, since she's not working on the costume yet, and I ordered more from the link Goldhawk supplied - thank you!!

Weathering round 2 went better. I used watered down acrylics and very light sprays of spray paint. Mostly taupe, but a little dark brown and dark grey as well.

E5PcyHCl.jpg

Oh, and here's a photo of the full ensemble, prior to weathering:

I4eSUW9l.jpg

Aaaand just the shirt:

vcD9gNgl.jpg

At this point, everything is basically done, minus sewing the arm wraps to compression sleeves and finishing the staff (which is currently primed and ready for paint). At some point I'll make the backpack but I'm not really worried about it right now. My goal is to have this completed (or as much as possible) by Sunday, as I'm going on vacation for a week and a half, and then have a Christmas parade immediately following that on the 3rd!

I love how the shirt turned out! I can't wait to see everything together and weathered! It looks great!

As far as dying the shirt, it's taupe, right? I got a scare with my headwrap fabric as the taupe didn't turn out right the first time, and at first I thought it was too grey the second time. I'm going to stick with the color I have now, because it's very close to some of the shots of the display costume I was using, but I really don't want to mess the shirt up. AAALLLL those hours of two mock-ups, multiple re-cuts of the mock-ups, six versions of the Henley slit, two of which were with the final fabric, and about ten different ribbed sleeves translates to something I really want to dye right the first time! (Especially since I scared myself with the headwrap fabric! I even did a test piece too!)

EDIT:
Just went back a couple of pages; yep, light taupe. I guess I'll just be reaaallly careful.

Last edited:
I love how the shirt turned out! I can't wait to see everything together and weathered! It looks great!

As far as dying the shirt, it's taupe, right? I got a scare with my headwrap fabric as the taupe didn't turn out right the first time, and at first I thought it was too grey the second time. I'm going to stick with the color I have now, because it's very close to some of the shots of the display costume I was using, but I really don't want to mess the shirt up. AAALLLL those hours of two mock-ups, multiple re-cuts of the mock-ups, six versions of the Henley slit, two of which were with the final fabric, and about ten different ribbed sleeves translates to something I really want to dye right the first time! (Especially since I scared myself with the headwrap fabric! I even did a test piece too!)

EDIT:
Just went back a couple of pages; yep, light taupe. I guess I'll just be reaaallly careful.

I used a minimal amount of taupe Rit dye with a splash of gray. Died it for a few minutes, rinsed it out, dried a piece of it with a hair dryer to see the color. I did this 5 times because I was scared of over dying lol. It doesn't matter how many test swatches I dye, I never get it the same color that I'm going for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDIT:

I wish I could give precise amounts and times, but I pretty much just winged it, haha. I boiled a few pots of water, dumped them into a small tote, and added a very small amount of Taupe. Left the fabric in there for maybe a couple minutes (continuously stirring and checking it), then immediately rinsed it in the sink, before throwing it into the wash. I dyed the fabric before sewing, because I was too worried about ruining my finished shirt.

The headwrap fabric didn't turn out much darker than its original color, but I sprayed it with dark taupe and dark brown spray paints to weather it and that darkened it quite a bit.

Per Kristen's advice, I'm going to skip sewing the arm wraps to sleeves and just wrap them each time. Which means... I'm done!!! :D :D :D Mostly, anyway. I still need to finish the staff, but I don't think that'll take too much longer - just needs weathering and strap attachment!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back