My "8 foot" Star Destroyer Build

I finally got out of my head and started gluing some parts.
Still have a lot to go on (obviously) and I have a lot of the parts ID'd already. There are a few I'm having trouble with so I'll be asking for some help.
As you can see, I have cast a large number of the parts. I got really interested in doing that for awhile, but it is now getting tedious so I am starting to just pay the $$$ and grab parts from the kits ;)

Facia_Glue1.jpgFacia_Glue2.jpgMisc1.jpg

Hoping someone could help with a part ID.
Can't seem to figure this one out - perhaps I have been staring at sprues too long.
The part is used twice on both left and right sides of the bridge fascia.
Thanks for any help you could give!

BridgeLong2.jpgBridgeLong1.jpg

Im not at home to check my kits, but they look like part of the edge section of a carrier deck stripped off rather than individual parts?

Good luck with the build. You are off to a great start.

Nick

Im not at home to check my kits, but they look like part of the edge section of a carrier deck stripped off rather than individual parts?

Good luck with the build. You are off to a great start.

Nick

Thanks Nick - that is kinda my thought too, but I have noting that seems to match in my current inventory. If you could check your kits, that would be great!

On the plus side, I got 29 new parts put on:
Facia_Glue3.jpg

On the down side, I realized my sides are about 2.3mm short on top and about 1mm short on the bottom - the height is ok, but that throws off a lot of angles.
Grrr,,,thought I had that all worked out. Gonna have to be careful pulling the thing apart without dropping parts.

One step up, four steps back....sigh!

Sorry, I just managed to state the obvious! - one kit that might be worth a look is the Airfix USS Forrestal. Its an old kit and is quite big. Its got long straight deck side sections which may be worth a look if you haven't already? I think it looks a match for some of the front superstructure areas too with ridged details.

Frustrating over the dims. Looks like you were pretty close though. These things are sent to try us!

Nick

You always wonder....if one of the ILM model makers from the 70s and 80s came here today and saw how you guys id the parts and all, would they go back to their time and say, lets make this thing really crazy with detail and give them even more of a challenge.
haha
Looking good so far.

You always wonder....if one of the ILM model makers from the 70s and 80s came here today and saw how you guys id the parts and all, would they go back to their time and say, lets make this thing really crazy with detail and give them even more of a challenge.
haha
Looking good so far.

Ya, right? They would probably say 'those guys gotta get out more' :lol

Sorry, I just managed to state the obvious! - one kit that might be worth a look is the Airfix USS Forrestal. Its an old kit and is quite big. Its got long straight deck side sections which may be worth a look if you haven't already? I think it looks a match for some of the front superstructure areas too with ridged details.

Frustrating over the dims. Looks like you were pretty close though. These things are sent to try us!

Nick

Thanks for the idea, Nick. You wouldn't happen to have a scan of the deck, would you?
A lot of the 'edge' pieces on the superstructure come from, among other things, the Revell Midway/Roosevelt/Coral Sea kits. I think I have finally gotten a good cast of that deck to make those parts - at between $50 - to $150 on ebay for those kits, I'd hate to have to buy 20 of them just for the deck parts!

Another thing I need to try to cast is the under-deck piece from the old Shinano kit. There is a ton of that on the super. If anyone has successfully cast that bad boy, I'd be more than happy to buy a few castings from you!
ShinanounderDeck1.jpg

Here are some quick shots of the Airfix 1/600 USS Forrestal. I don't think its actually a match for anything unfortunately, but here they are anyway.

Airfix_USS_Forrestal1.jpg

Airfix_USS_Forrestal2.jpg

Airfix_USS_Forrestal3.jpg

Airfix_USS_Forrestal4.jpg

Thanks for the scans Nick.
Looks like that model won't work. I'm still looking....anyone else have any ideas?

Well, I basically had to build a 'dry dock' to work on remaking the bridge sides, top, bottom, and back...lol. Hopefully I got it right this time!
Drydock1.jpgDrydock2.jpg
Sorry for the crappy pic quality.

I was able to ID a few more parts, but I still need help with this:
BridgeLong1.jpgBridgeLong2.jpg

I know they were ID'd back in September '09 after looking for months with the help of several people, but it was never revealed in the thread....
Who can help me crack this one?

haha
Looking good so far.

Greg Jein already did, sorta. He told me years ago that he'd never use Leopolds or Morser parts because they were too easy to spot. So he went with railroad parts and crazy Japanese SciFi kits for his greeblies......

Gene

And once you talk to these guys, you realize THEY didn't care about slavish devotion to 100% ID/accuracy and you relax a little on your own personal builds.

Nothing like getting a look that says "you are crazy" from the guy that built the original model to put things in perspective. :lol

That is the benefit of being the creator - you don't have to worry about ID accuracy because you are the one making the rules. Same thing with music. People go crazy trying to emulate every nuance of a musicians performance - calling them gods and masters, when in reality, the final product is a result of how they happen to do things (and in some cases a fair amount of 'medicinal help').

In either case, the attempt at accurate emulation is a show of respect for the artist that created the original - at least that is how I look at it.

Another reason for doing things like this - at least for me - is that the model building art is a dying one. Having worked in a post house, I saw firsthand how CG easily replaces the physical. It is much less expensive, and much more fluid. I talk to younger people like my nephews who grew up with the 'new' Star Wars (I, II, III) and they strangely know that all that stuff is made in a computer. Showing them this SD build, they had no idea that things like this were once done in a physical form. To that end, I think it is important to preserve that, and maybe even leave a road-map to how these things were made. That is why I think this forum is very important. The information, and the people who know about it are becoming less and less. This is evident in the loss of forum members that were able to answer tough ID questions. We now have to recreate the wheel again.
Those threads of old were magical to read - all the collaboration and back and forth resulting in a great exchange of information as well as fabulous finished products. I would like to see that happen again (certainly as it would benefit me in this build - :lol)!

I wonder how long it took ILM to build most of their models. Being on a tight schedule, and being their job, I'm sure they got things done pretty quickly. But anyone know any time frames of the actual build time?
My guess, a month or two.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back