Back to the future - a grail item found !!!

Also found this

image_zpsyzr9lsdc.jpg

Well I don't think it counts as a prop, it's more like a stunt back up board I guess? x)I mean it's a board that technically doesn't exist in the movie, not like the Valterra boards... Which is why I said I wouldn't be after one of these! But it's still cool to own I suppose, loving getting rare items myself :p

I agree with Emma. It's cool to own one, but since it's not seen on screen, it's not important. I'd rather like to know the brand of the actual skateboard that was used as a base (the naked board) for some of the photo Hoverboards. Look at the round recesses at the edges of the board on the following picture:

Back-To-Future-2-Hoverboard-7.jpg

It was so cool if someone could find that actual skateboard. :)

I do not agree with you when u say it's not important - and in the secrets of back to the future featurette they say plywood was laid all over the town square and Michael ride a skateboard in many of the scenes -and the screen shot above , taken during filming , shows him riding that very skateboard ( the Nash ) - now I do concur with you that the board was never seen on screen - but beg to differ when you say it's not important - by that logic the flying rig was unimportant then As
Well ?? And the cameras that shot the scenes ? And the director and the crew ? And their equipment ? And the .... and the ......

Last edited:
The hover board pictured seems to me to be a cut down and re shaped Valterra deck - looks cut to be more narrow and the nose profile changed- also appears to have had another top deck added to add thickness and allow the side profiles to be shaped more -

I have an extra valterra deck - may try this someday - might be a cool project. Can you post more info and pics of these boards ?

Last edited:
I do not agree with you when u say it's not important - and in the secrets of back to the future featurette they say plywood was laid all over the town square and Michael ride a skateboard in many of the scenes -and the screen shot above , taken during filming , shows him riding that very skateboard ( the Nash ) - now I do concur with you that the board was never seen on screen - but beg to differ when you say it's not important - by that logic the flying rig was unimportant then As
Well ?? And the cameras that shot the scenes ? And the director and the crew ? And their equipment ? And the .... and the ......

Would you buy that flying rig if it was for sale though? Or the plywood? :lol

But I've said it before and I'll say it again; If it makes you happy to own this, then that's all that matters! :)

Most likely couldn't afford that flying rig. LOL

And owning this board will enhance my bttf collection , in my opinion

When I say "not important", I mean it from a prop collector's point of view. Of course, all those things were important for making the movie, but as a collector of props or replica props I wouldn't say it's important for my collection. Every collection is different: If the board is important or even a "grail item" for you, add it to your collection! ;)

Thank you for the replies. I have been in this hobby since the mid-1990s, and been part of many different prop groups over my time in this hobby. During that time I have been told by many people that the obscure things that I look for are not good enough, not important, or in accurate replicas.
( this is what drove me away from the 501st , and I was a founding member of my garrison )
When I hear this type of thing it triggered something in me that is a defensive response, please know it was not intended in a hostile way but sometimes i guess it could come across like that , I am aware.

I have added the board to my collection, as well as many other items that I feel are prop worthy the items. Some items are not screen used but things used behind the scenes to make the movies. I find owning and displaying these items along with the screen used items gives me a sense of completeness in my collection.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back