Weekly Mythbusters Discussion Thread

...I really didn't 'get' the other Myth. So, a fan writes in and says his father would tie dynamite to an arrow, shoot it at a tree, and the explosion would split the tree ?

First, this is not a Myth. It's a story...

Most of the myths they've covered aren't really myths at all, just what ifs/could it happen?/viral video type stuff. That's fine with me as long as the show is fun, and it always is.

I'm still waiting for them to put a dead pig in a vacuum chamber to test the decompression/exploding body thing from Outland. I really want to see that pig blow up :lol

Every once in a while they have a myth that fulfills everything the story says except in amount. Usually the distance something travels. Given that the people who saw the original event probably aren't measuring things and just guesstimating, it irks me when they call an otherwise confirmed myth busted just for that reason.

This weeks episode was full of AWESOME and WIN !! Everything in this episode was an A++

This was one of the episodes I could watch over and over and not get tired of. Lots of good stuff.

On the Adam and Jamie Myth:
I almost always enjoy when they test things from historical past, such as the arrow machine gun or the Watcha (the Watcha is probably my favorite episode), the Ming Dynasty rocket chair or the rocket powered glider. I like these Myths because they are based in historical fact and can be backed up with actual historical documents, but also because of the time periods there are usually no actual devices left, only accounts, text, legend and myths.

With the invention of gunpowder and fireworks this Myth seemed perfectly logical to me. I really enjoyed the small scale tests and there was also a first smaller scale test that was not aired but you can view it on the Aftershow.

I always like it when Adam and Jamie take different approaches to a design or build and then they go with the better design to proceed full scale. It looked like massive fun testing the small scale torpedoes, playing with rockets is always a good day.

Okay, how SUPER AWESOME was the hydo-forming ?! That was stellar seeing Jamie use water and pressure to form those torpedo bodies.

Out at the lake I was giddy watching them test the torpedoes. I could watch those things fly out of control and take flight all day long. That was too neat. I really enjoy when I can tell that Jamie is genuinely having a good time and he was lit with excitement at the testing. Seeing the final torpedo launch perfectly, shoot straight and hit the target and explode on impact was the perfect payoff. I only with they had a few more and could have launched a few more once they dialed in the perfect launch. Great Myth.

On the Kari, Grant and Tori Myth:
Again, I love seeing them test real-world events. I enjoyed the testing and seeing the trailer on fire shooting out corks and exploding wine bottles was fantastic. I was smiling the entire time this episode.

My only complaint was that I think they should have called it 'Plausible' instead of 'Busted'. They were testing 3 things: would heat/fire launch the corks, would the corks go 100 feet, and did the trailer on fire make the machine-gun sound. They Busted the myth because they could not get a cork to go 100 feet either in testing or out on the bomb range. In the set-up to the story they did not show that corks had actually gone 100 feet or that it was confirmed in real life, they showed highlighted areas of the newspaper article and the 100 feet part was in quotes. Without a tape measure it's hard for some people to judge distances and out at the actual scene people might have said '100 feet' because the corks went a good distance and they thought it was 100 feet. Plus it could have been really windy that day and the corks could have gone further. I would have gone with 'Plausible'.

And the wine-bottle-machine-gun was SWEET !!

I'm a little surprised we don't have more people here in the discussion.

It always seemed like almost everyone here on the RPF was a fan of the show.

I'm with you on that one. I was shocked when I came here after the Bourne episode and no one mentioned the massive prop stash that Adam dumped out on the table at the beginning. There was a huge thread on that a year or two ago where Adam and a host of others went over screen caps and hunted down or recreated all of that. The first thing that poped into my head when I saw it on the TV was "holy crap, I remember that thread!".

New episode tonight 5/11/2001

Episode Detail: Blow Your Own Sail - MythBusters
Hollywood sound effects are compared against reality; Kari, Grant and Tory try to determine if one could propel a sailboat with a fan.

Kari, Grant & Tory:
Okay, Blow your own sail...... I was blown away !

Going in I fully expected the Newton Laws of action/reaction to cause the boat to not move at all no matter the variable of wind or sail size.

Small scale test = awesome.

Jet powered skateboard test = way awesome

Full scale test = double super awesome.

You can blow your own sail. Of course with the power and size needed you would go faster just using that wind to push the boat, but it is possible. That was way too neat.

Adam & Jamie:
I think their segment about Hollywood sound effect compared to real life sounds was geared toward the casual joe viewer and not a super movie-buff who watches behind-the-scene documentaries on movies. You'd be surprised how many people don't realize how much sound is added to tv and movies.

Most everything they tested/showed I was already aware of, but the method was still fun and interesting to watch. I was really interested in the gun silencer stuff, because I don't know that much about them and you always see them in spy/action movies. It was cool to see Jamie pull one apart and show the baffles inside, I always assumed it was more like a batting material or something inside, not wave-canceling baffles.

Overall a solid A episode, mostly for the sail-blowing stuff.

Just giving this an early week bump, in case anyone who saw last weeks show and meant to post but forgot might see this and maybe comment.

I mean, I can't possibly be on so many peoples Ignore list that no one can see this Thread....

How were the hairs implanted follicle by follicle into the mask specifically what tools and techniques were used by SPFX to do the hairs i would love to practice such a technique to add hair to a mask or costume using such a method as depicted on the mission impossible episode

Thank you

Though this could use a necro-bump seeing as the second half of the new season of the show will be returning in one week. The season continues/finishes starting July 18th.

Everything ends. Honestly, it's been a while since the show was consistently good. Sure, they still tell some interesting stories and do some interesting experiments, but it's been hit and miss for at least a couple of seasons. There was a time where the entire family would gather around the TV every week to watch Mythbusters. That hasn't been true for a long time now.

I had a feeling that this would happen sooner or later but its still sad to hear.. There are very few shows that I can say I've been a fan of since the first episode, but Mythbusters is definitely one!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!
I totaly agree! I don't have cable/satalite, so I haven't seen a current episode in a while, but what a thoroughly entertaining show. I'll just have to start at the beginning and rewatch all the episodes. asavage I will miss watching Mythbusters, but I know I'll see you on Tested.com and whatever else you decide to do. Thank you! See you at Comic Con.

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked Adam on Twitter if we'll finally get a Blu-Ray box set of the entire show run after it wraps, I hope he answers because I'd love to have all the episodes.

I have most all the 'collections', but each one only has about 70% of the seasons episodes and online the 'seasons' are still always crazy expensive.

This show is more than entertainment, it really has inspired, enlightened, and protected its viewers for over a decade. I know a large part of the reason why I enjoy engineering history and preservation is from these guys. Their episodes have literally saved peoples lives ("Underwater Car Escape"), not to mention the countless people who have and will go on to do good for humanity as engineers and scientists because of this show. Its departure leaves a very big void in television for meaningful and inspiring programming.

@asavage, I hope we get to see more of your creativity and inspiration in the public eye for years to come.

-Max

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back