Ant Man - convince me it's not totally lame

If Marvel were truly scraping the barrel then they might have trotted out characters like ROM the Space Knight, Moon Knight, Stingray, Torpedo, Captain Ultra, and list goes on.

How about Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Jessica Jones? Because they're all getting their own movie in the next 4 years.

Really done with this whole "comic book superhero updated to be modern and edgy" thing, personally.

How about Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Jessica Jones?
Really done with this whole "comic book superhero updated to be modern and real and edgy" thing.

I don't see what is explicitly "modern,real, and edgy" about any of those characters save for JJ maybe. Do you mean superhero movies as a whole?

Yeah, just in general.
gotcha, are you just not a fan or would you rather have golden/silver age characterization? (not trying to be snarky, genuinely curious)
I like certain characters when they are "gritty enough" but not soooo grounded in reality. I am not a huge fan of the Nolan Bat trilogy, it just got to be too real and I wanted a little bit of comics in my comic movie, but I will say that in general I prefer Batman to be a little more real and not the infallible Batgod but not as far as Nolan took it. I'm hoping that the inclusion of Flash and GL in the DCCU will poke some holes in the "dark, gritty" blanket that has been over DC properties for a while.

It sounds totally stupid on its face.

So does a talking racoon with a space machine gun.

They've earned enough faith to give it a go, imo.

I agree there. That sounded totally ridiculous, but somehow a talking racoon still seems more plausible than a person the size of an ant. :lol It just seems like a really useless power. What are you going to do with ants? Raid picnics and give people with allergies anaphylactic shock?

gotcha, are you just not a fan or would you rather have golden/silver age characterization? (not trying to be snarky, genuinely curious)
I like certain characters when they are "gritty enough" but not soooo grounded in reality. I am not a huge fan of the Nolan Bat trilogy, it just got to be too real and I wanted a little bit of comics in my comic movie, but I will say that in general I prefer Batman to be a little more real and not the infallible Batgod but not as far as Nolan took it. I'm hoping that the inclusion of Flash and GL in the DCCU will poke some holes in the "dark, gritty" blanket that has been over DC properties for a while.

Part of it is just weariness. We've had so many Thor, Iron Man, Batman, Avengers, Spider-Man, The Hulk, Superman, etc. movies in the last 7-some-odd years that i'm just over it, not to mention all the TV Shows like Arrow and Flash. Now they're announcing all these origin stories for yet more characters plotted out on a release schedule stretching into 2020, it feels like they're just cashing in on a trend. Hey, maybe i'm pissing off all the Ant Man and Jessica Jones fans, i'm not trying to. I'm just over it.

The only thing that would make me watch another Marvel movie (aside from GOTG 2) would be Howard The Duck done right.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, but I'm looking forward to Ant Man. I think it looks really fun. And Riceball, I'd watch a ROM movie. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of it is just weariness. We've had so many Thor, Iron Man, Batman, Avengers, Spider-Man, The Hulk, Superman, etc. movies in the last 7-some-odd years that i'm just over it, not to mention all the TV Shows like Arrow and Flash. Now they're announcing all these origin stories for yet more characters plotted out on a release schedule stretching into 2020, it feels like they're just cashing in on a trend. Hey, maybe i'm pissing off all the Ant Man and Jessica Jones fans, i'm not trying to. I'm just over it.

That's where I'm coming from. I'm just sick of the comic superhero genre across the board, no matter how they vary it.

The standard-issue response to this is "Then you don't have to go see the movies. Problem solved. Some of us do want to see them." I get that. In normal circumstances I agree.

But the sheer volume of comic movies lately, the sequels, the compilations, the gigantic size of the budgets each time . . . this has consumed the industry. It's too much. We only see what they have made. We don't see what other interesting movies might have gotten done instead.

There are so many interesting movies being made, people are just not watching them but will continue to complain about the lack of interesting movies.

The 3 to 5 comic book movies in a year is a small percentage to the nearly dozens of movies being made in US alone, nearing to at least 70+ movies. But yes they do get highlighted in the media more than the regular movies these days.

Don't watch comic book movies, go and watch other genre, mid-budget and indie movies in the theater. If someone has not watched even 10 movies theatrically in a year (that's less than 1 movie a month), then they don't even care enough about cinema anyways. No matter how genuine the reason is; whatever maybe that reason for not going to the theater is just another excuse and serves as a propellent to complain later on about no good movies, while they will continue to never watch any significant number of movies in that year to begin with.

It's like someone listening to music from only couple of bands in a year or listening to a one genre of music, then complaining there isn't enough good music out there.

If someone has not watched even 10 movies theatrically in a year (that's less than 1 movie a month), then they don't even care enough about cinema anyways.
Personally I don't have $75 a month to spend on movies (that's what it costs to take 3 people 80 miles round trip to see a 1st run film) and I'm likely not the only person who finds that to be a chunk of change to lay out for 2 hours of non-live entertainment. A movie has to intrigue me enough to make me want to see it in the theater.

Well...why send your whole family to watch a film? Some of the best ones are really not meant for the whole family anyways...

What would intrigue you? More than half the RPF telling you to go watch something should be as good a reason as any.

Mad Max was awesome, but it isn't gonna win an Oscar for the acting...

^ Yah, I go to the theater maybe once or twice a year.
It has to be something I really need to see on the big screen.
Otherwise I'm content to wait a couple months for it to show up in my local Redbox.
(Ant-Man is a Redbox rental for me - I couldn't care less about it, but who knows, maybe it'll be fun)

There are so many interesting movies being made, people are just not watching them but will continue to complain about the lack of interesting movies.

The 3 to 5 comic book movies in a year is a small percentage to the nearly dozens of movies being made in US alone, nearing to at least 70+ movies. But yes they do get highlighted in the media more than the regular movies these days.

Don't watch comic book movies, go and watch other genre, mid-budget and indie movies in the theater. If someone has not watched even 10 movies theatrically in a year (that's less than 1 movie a month), then they don't even care enough about cinema anyways. No matter how genuine the reason is; whatever maybe that reason for not going to the theater is just another excuse and serves as a propellent to complain later on about no good movies, while they will continue to never watch any significant number of movies in that year to begin with.

It's like someone listening to music from only couple of bands in a year or listening to a one genre of music, then complaining there isn't enough good music out there.

Agreed wholeheartedly. So far, this summer, I've actually seen only one superhero movie and that Avengers: AoU, all of the rest of the movies I've seen so far have been non-comic/super hero movies like Tomorrowland, San Andreas, Jurassic World, & Inside Out. The only other superhero movies due out this year, to the best of my knowledge, are Ant-Man & Fantastic Four, and that's it. Yeah, 3 superhero movies this year is really crowding the market with movies like Max, the Minions movie, The Martian, The Peanuts movie, and dreck like Pixels. Here's a site that I just found listing the movies that have come out or are due to come out this year, although I didn't look through all 14 pages, the few that I did look through were oddly not filled with super hero/comic book movies. http://www.movieinsider.com/movies/popular/2015/?page_offset=28

I later on realized I should have added the word current.

"If someone has not watched even 10 movies theatrically in a year (that's less than 1 movie a month), then they don't even care enough about current cinema anyways.

People are obviously still watching number of movies at home, revisiting more classics and perhaps few recent ones. But since they haven't watched a number of movies released during that particular current year and that trend then continues for every year, then their criticism of modern movies doesn't hold much backing since their scope of comparing movies is down to single digits.

We have over 100 years of cinema to look back and enjoy. And what most are doing is revisiting films which have already stood the test of time. There are lot of stinkers and mediocre movies made through the decades and most will not be coming across them on a regular basis nor will they choose to revisit them.

One can continue to skip modern movies all together or be very very choosey, but if they proclaim and criticize that there are not enough good movies being made these days they are just deluding themselves.

Personally I don't have $75 a month to spend on movies (that's what it costs to take 3 people 80 miles round trip to see a 1st run film) and I'm likely not the only person who finds that to be a chunk of change to lay out for 2 hours of non-live entertainment. A movie has to intrigue me enough to make me want to see it in the theater.

I never see anything in the theater, I haven't stepped foot in a theater for more than a decade and never will again. I can wait for the BR, buy it for $20 and watch it any time I want with whoever I want.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back