star trek enterprise - fifteen years later

KrangPrime

Master Member
has the series held up?

At the time, I thought the pilot was amazing. but as the show went on, I found it rather boring for some reason.
Maybe I was on star trek overload after DS9 and Voyager. The former having rejoined it in season 6, the latter having stuck with it from episode one till the end.

I also gave alot of flack to rick berman and branon braga. Braga stuck to his old foibles and relied on time travel stories. granted, good time travel stories, but an over used plot device is an over used plot device. The Temporal Cold War should never have happened. IT would have been far more interesting to jump ahead a full century and do da show in the 26th century of star fleet and the Enterprise H.

Berman just seemed like a heavy hander. not really concerned with star trek, but cementing his own place in star trek lore. he was also the guy who told the music director 'Don't make the music so interesting, it over shadows everything else'...who thinks that way?

Has Enterprise aged well?

T'Pol has not aged well. There was only one reason Boobs of Vulcan was there...and that was because Boobs of Borg worked 'so well' to 'revitalize' voyager and bring in a whole new male audience. Hence the stupid Decontamination scenes. She did a credible enough job portraying a vulcan, but I can't get past the fake D Cup. Heh, I was watching the extras, and the actress said her acting in her audition experience was terrible, yet she was called back instantly and had no idea why. I about LOL'ed.

Hoshi and Malcom, I think where the most interesting characters. Malcom was given a little more to do, but Hoshi thankfully wasn't forgotten. I think it's an interesting idea that before the universal translator, ships had people who could pick up languages almost instantly to help program the translator. the fact that she was also the only one smart enough to be afraid of space travel made her interesting.

Travis could have been fun, but he kind of disappearedinto the background IIRC. he should have been the alien expert, being born in space and traveling all around far longer than the other crew members.

conner and Flox where fun too...but flox was a little too gross in some areas of the show (cutting toe nails for instance)....and trip was kind of a by the numbers character.

All in all, I think it aged rather well. it was the last thing that felt like star trek. Although I think they made a mistake by making the vulcans adversarial. and realized halfway through when they added a romulan agent into the mix. If you are doing a TOS throwback show, the human/vulcan relationship was part of the core of that. They also messed up by introducing the klingons so early. THe Klingons should have been a series finale ender. save them for last. either as a whole season arc of mystery, or as one episode
planned around them.

And lets not forget the final kick in the ass for this show. that Final episode. Who's ever idea that was...to have troi and riker take center stage, and cut off Archers big moment speech...and to have the series of ENTERPRISE and with a shot of characters from a show that finished it's run 20 years ago... was a shot in the face.

at least they where all smart enough to admit it now that that was a mistake. Braga has too many yes men surrounding him, I think if that was his idea.

I liked the idea of the "temporal cold war" (maybe more than the execution.) I really like the explanation one of the show's creators gave, that "future guy" was actually Archer. That could have made things a lot more interesting.

I liked the Xindi plot arc, especially after we learned that they weren't the villains, that they were being manipulated.

The augment arc was pretty good, but for some reason I never got too invested in the Vulcan one.

Still not considering ENT as a true Trek series. Half baked, meddled mess. My friend Doug Drexler was pressed into turning the great Akira into this abomination, which could easily replaced with any(!) know canonical ship from history of pre TOS Trek and called it anything but Enterprise. Season 1-3 can be thrown into the garbage bin as you said with the TCW. It had so many wasted potentials, but turned into "We're not emulating what came before, but we sneak the tech nevertheless in" series, god I can rant on end: the transporter, the Phase Pistol, even the color code on the uniforms and the cheap cop out using the universal translator. I will say it again and again, Manny Coto came too late to stear a broken ship to it's right course.

Also, I feel sorry for Jolene, because she's a real Trekker and was used for TnA, Mayweather… you could place a scarecrow on the bridge and no one would notice the difference, yet it would have more characterization and screen time, I pretty much forgot the whole crew, they're so bland, I don't even remember them properly. Scott Bakula, the poor guy! A very good actor wasted on a poor written captain. Tragically I remember someone on a german ST board, who wasn't fond of ENT either, had a signature that stated: "Captain Stupido and his inept crew are stumbling through space… again!"

Yet, the last couple of days, I thought, how important it is, for such uncertain and turmoiled and troubled time, to have a true inspiring Star Trek Series. True in the sense of following the philosophical and humanistic view of Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek. Balancing Action with intellectual challenging social moral topics; screenplays that really "boldy go, where no one has gone before…". I'd even go so far to cast a IRL gay couple actors/actresses and would show, that except the same gender, they are an ordinary couple: bickering, laughing and crying together. But I guess, the American society isn't still ready. I'd like to pick hot controversial topics like religious fanatics, terrorists, social outcasts. The executives must start screaming in my face: "We CAN'T DO THIS!!!" to show them, we can and will, to show that Trek is a sophisticated program not just for entertainment.

Well, I should start my wown thread about this… Don't want to hijack your thread. But when I start writeing about such a passionate topic, I can't stop.

I thought the pilot was ok but stopped watching after the 4th or 5th show. (TOS / TNG fan here...no Voyager or DS9 for me)

I LOVE the 2 episodes about the Mirror Universe though (especially the alternate show intro...brilliant!)

The very last scene in the series finale with all the ships and different captains doing the voice over was pretty neat.

The series was good Sci-Fi, but not Star Trek. I liked Archer and crew, not the Akiraprise. I thought that trying to rewrite TOS history was the biggest mistake, then the full season temporal cold war. Lost chance to really shine in the Trek Lore. I do enjoy watching the series, except the war season.

i still can't get over "Dear, Doctor". I just can't. They're supposed to be the good guys and they're patting themselves on the back for believing that letting a whole species die out was the best thing that they could do.

Archer: We've encountered an alien species who are asking for help in finding a cure for their illness.
Phlox: I developed a cure!
Archer: That's great! When can we distribute it?
Phlox: We shouldn't. Turns out they're evolving to die. We should let it happen.
Archer: You're right. We didn't come out here to play god.
Phlox: I have gained a newly found respect for you Jonathan Archer.​

Idiots! You had the cure! You had this so-called 'play god' powers to decide whether a whole species will live or die! You're already playing god at that point and you've chosen death!

Jeyl: and that's one of many reasons, why I don't consider ENT to be Star Trek. It choses the easy way out, instead of doing what's right.

Last edited by a moderator:
like destroying a ship of aliens trying to take over their personalities because their ship was deteriorating...rather than offering to help to repair it ;)

watching the blu ray extras on season two... the hour and a half cast round table so far is rather interesting..

I don't agree with all the points so far...but I do think having season one take place entirely on earth would have been REALLY interesting, and set us up for that first foray into space, and would have enabled them to build on the vulcans more.

but still think braga is surrounded by yes men and a little hero worship being the guy in charge. he doesn't come off as unlikable so much as over confindent and confrontational.

On set Jolene was "one of the guys". On more than one occasion she joined in on burping and farting contests as well as "thats what she said" type humor. Hard to believe its been 15 years now, sheesh.

Your storys were the only thing I enjoyed from that Series! :lol

On set Jolene was "one of the guys". On more than one occasion she joined in on burping and farting contests as well as "thats what she said" type humor. Hard to believe its been 15 years now, sheesh.

The series was good Sci-Fi, but not Star Trek. I liked Archer and crew, not the Akiraprise. I thought that trying to rewrite TOS history was the biggest mistake, then the full season temporal cold war. Lost chance to really shine in the Trek Lore. I do enjoy watching the series, except the war season.

Yeah, actually, it was good sci-fi and good Star Trek. I liked Archer and crew, and the ship. I consider ENTERPRISE the second best series behind TOS. TNG is a distant third. And the other two just stink.

Last edited:
Sorry, but...
I can't look at these **** without laughing...

t_pol_by_mpcato234-d6qe50p.jpg

They're just ridiculous.

I think the only real two episodes that worked throughout the whole series was the "In The Mirror, Darkly" two-parter. It kinda made me wish they had just done a Mirror Universe TV series instead.

Too many problems. Most have been mentioned.

It's a shame too, because much like Voyager, it had nothing but potential. I loved the cast.

But they forgot that, other than ToS, Trek needs a chance to find itself for a season or two before letting it get mired in the one long story. DS9 allowed the actors and team to find the characters, and build them for a while before asking the audience to go down such a winding path with them. Even TNG needed a season or two to discover itself.

With Enterprise it felt like they barely had time to learn each other's names before the whole show plunged down the rabbit hole of a long term time travel mess.

I remember just not being interested enough to be willing to follow as a viewer.

It's a shame, because as I said: I still think it was a great cast. Good production team too. Nothing but potential.

If you believe braga, the network wanted a sequel, not a prequel, so he added in the time travel stuff so they could get both.

It also seems the cast wanted to give everyone a break before delving into ANOTHER series.

Jolene was the most quiet during tht interview. I guess she took alot of ribbing and probably didn't come away from the experience with a good view.

I also found it interesting that most UPN affiliates didn't even air the series...their top rated name getter. instead they showed the dreaded football.

for me, at the time, I was just on ST burnout. I followed voyager from season one on and was mostly dissapointed, especially when boobs of nine was invited on board. the whole show focus shifted toward her, probably because she was banging braga nightly and all the other characters long got forgotten.
Personally, if I was in charge of Voyager, I Would have made it a generational show. every season skipped ten years and the ship would look drastically
different as it took on new crew and new supplies. but if you believe the roundtable discussion, the network probably wouldn't have gone for that.

With Enterprise, I would have kept the series on earth for a season and launched the ship as a finale episode, as braga suggested. then I would have went on a discovery of new aliens with no throwbacks. I would have saved the throwbacks for the final season as they got closer to kirks time.

that photo of jolene has to be photoshoped. and she wonders why she got the job ;o).

Just wish they would of have said "Screw It" and kept going and at least tried to make up for the not so good final seasons. If they just would of tried a little longer to make it up maybe ( Just Maybe ) it would of made it a few more seasons… Who knows ????

Hated the way the ended it and was talking about the reality of the situation of the last episode with a group of friends

First Off, Why in the world ( or universe) after 10 years Travis Mayweather was STILL only Ensign…. Why ????

Why did no one gain ranks ????

Also, What the heck happened to the relationship between Trip and T'Pol. They broke up and he transferred to the Columbia ( and later transferred back because of her ) and then in the last episode they Hate ( Well sorta hate ) each other.

I mean I know a lot of people are going to PM me saying how much the series sucked and what not, but for those of us who liked it they sorta screwed the fans over in the end

Voyager was even worse.

consering there wasn't much difference being stuck in the delta quadrant over the alpha quadrant..

the season 7 opener should have started with them getting home, and then another 20 episodes with character wrap up.
Instead, we got ANOTHER time travel episode that undid any of the home coming we actually saw.

that's why I find it kind of odd that braga is blaming all the time travel stuff in enterprise on the network. He ALWAYS goes to time travel stuff. it's his MO.

I never cared for Enterprise, but I didn't care for anything past TOS. I tolerated TNG, only because a girlfriend's father was a total fanatic and it ran constantly at her house, but otherwise, I couldn't care less about it if it didn't star the original cast.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back