The Martian (Post-release)

Re: The Martian

What, you're not counting Red Planet and Mission to Mars? :lol

I'll stick with Mona the Monkey's film as the best Mars film so far. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Show me the blue sunset Sir Scott! Make me believe in you again.
Mars_Sunset_sm.jpg

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY Matt Daaaaamon???:sick

I know, I know, not happy about that but we gotta soldier on this time.
Could have been worse. Could have been...... gulp......Tom Cruise.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I don't assume they're going to somehow be able to change the color of the sky where they're filming, so presumably... yes, that'll be done in post.

A little photoshop might have been nice to give us a taste but it's very early.

Oh you had to mention Tom Cruise didn't you!!! I'm not a fan of either....:wacko Ewan McGregor, Mark Walburg,Brad Pitt, SOMEONE ELSE!!! lol

Matt Damon in Ridley Scott's The Martian : People.com

From the article:

Jessica Chastain, another Interstellar alum clearly still bitten by the space bug, is set to join the cast as mission commander. Kristin Wiig is also in the mix, playing a NASA spokeswoman, and Jeff Daniels will take on the role of mission control.

"Through Interstellar and watching the fun that Annie [Hathaway] and Matt [Damon] had playing astronauts, I thought I really want to do that," Chastain tells PEOPLE. "It was about two weeks later, Ridley called me and asked me if I would play an astronaut in his next film, The Martian – I jumped at the chance of course."

To research her role, Chastain spent time at the famed Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, where she met and learned from the people behind the Curiosity Rover. She even got to spend some time on the red planet, via virtual reality:

"I got to see all the maps of Mars, and participate in an 3D virtual reality perspective," she says. "It was incredible, as soon as I put the glasses on, I felt like I was really there on Mars. Whether I looked left or right, it felt like I was there with actual images all around me. It was a fantastic way to imagine what it would be like to be on that planet."

More cast photos

18065874931_065b987d94_o.jpg

18038492216_88cbddef15_o.jpg

17444465563_02213f78f9_o.jpg

Matt Damon in The Martian First look at Ridley Scott's next movie | EW.com

Click to enlarge

17442473854_9a0274ac5e_c.jpg

18065071425_b7c75e081a_c.jpg

18038572106_92be977a03_c.jpg

17878843659_ff95038fd2_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Prometheus was awful...

matt damon in interstellar was awful...

not going to spend any money seeing this.

This is just a guess, but maybe there won't be that much color correction. The sky at least looks pretty decent in the images, if compared to photographs taken by Curiosity.

Really, really poorly written book that was nevertheless impossible to put down. The worst thing about it was definitely the narrator's "voice." His sense of humor was just awful. Like, Ned Flanders in space awful. But the fun of reading how the narrator got through such a hopeless survival situation outweighed the weird, off-putting tone of the writing. I hope they ratchet down the "humor" a bit for the movie.

Really, really poorly written book that was nevertheless impossible to put down

Agreed, aside from the impossible to put down part :lol

Hated the book, loathe Matt Damon and the production design looks straight to DVD. Looks like a winner!

Prometheus was awful...

matt damon in interstellar was awful...

not going to spend any money seeing this.

I agree and have to add this : A lonely astronaut lost on a desert planet + a rover, really ? Already saw that film, it was released in 2009, it's called MOON, it's a great film directed by Duncan Jones and art-directed by Gavin Rothery...

MOON had a different storyline, though.
I haven't read the novel yet, so I can't really comment on its quality, but the story itself seems interesting enough, at least for me. As for Matt Damon, I think he's a decent actor, and if the script is any good, Ridley Scott should be able to pull off a watchable film.

I'll definitively go and see it.
And maybe be angry at it later, if at all.

Last edited:

The trailer is not even out and people have already decided what the whole movie looks like based on few images. Reminds of the naysayers from the opening pages of the Gravity thread.

Moon is brilliant but the character in the movie Moon was not exactly lost/stranded; also it was not on a planet. But I guess all lonely astronaut movies are pretty much the same since the last century.

I understand what you mean Vivek but, well, I'm still suffering from a post-Prometheus traumatic syndrome... This to say SRS lost me along the way. I still love his first films a lot but, come on...

(and look at this spacesuit, it looks so Prometheus. It's not designed at all, just stylized to make it look different from his previous SciFi film... Where are the awesome ideas that made his first films unique ???)

That suit (and the ones in Prometheus) are based on the biosuit concept; please correct me if I've got this wrong. If the design concept is valid, I can see why they picked this instead of a more bulky suit.
As for "Prometheus", I think SRS got enthralled by the "ancient aliens" idea so much that he became blind to the flawed script. That movie technically does everything right, in my opinion, except for the most crucial thing, the storytelling.

For me, it all comes down to what screenwriter Drew Goddard has made out of the novel. BTW, I've started reading it, and I'm beginning to see its flaws.

That suit (and the ones in Prometheus) are based on the biosuit concept; please correct me if I've got this wrong. If the design concept is valid, I can see why they picked this instead of a more bulky suit.

Correct. The author tried to stick with technologies that are either in use currently or in development to maintain realism in the novel.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back