Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but after really letting those prequels set in and comparing to how Luke learned to become a Jedi, I feel like there will be a big change of times in how the Force, Jedi and the way the Dark Side is perceived.

One thing I noticed after the prequels is that the Jedi seem to be a pretty extremist group of black and white rules. It's like everything they do is text book. You simply do things one way and not another. They have one methodology of thinking and follow a strict code.

So years later Luke comes in and he doesn't come from that sort of upbringing. And certainly he wasn't trained the way Padawans have gone through their teachings.

I think in that sort of way, Luke is probably the last labeled "Jedi" and that Luke DOESN'T want to train Rey in that sort of mindset. That there is a huge gray area to consider and that may not be along the lines of the Jedi belief system. And so, while Luke will train her elements of the Jedi, she will not be called Jedi by the end of her training.

That's just my theory revolving around conflicting rules and beliefs of the Jedi code.

I fully agree. Luke was never a Jedi. Neither was Kanan or Ezra.

If Ashoka is alive after rebels, she was probably the last living jedi

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The thing that never made sense to me about the rule of 2 was how Yoda even knew about it - if the Sith were "extinct for a millenia" and the rule of 2 came about after/because of that, which Sith spilled the beans on membership rules to the Jedi?

Gray Jedi.jpg

The thing that never made sense to me about the rule of 2 was how Yoda even knew about it - if the Sith were "extinct for a millenia" and the rule of 2 came about after/because of that, which Sith spilled the beans on membership rules to the Jedi?

In season six of The Clone Wars: The Lost Missions, Yoda had a vision of Darth Bane (voiced by Mark Hamill) and learned of the rule of two.

In season six of The Clone Wars: The Lost Missions, Yoda had a vision of Darth Bane (voiced by Mark Hamill) and learned of the rule of two.

I'd buy it, but Yoda's statement was made in The Phantom Menace, which took place before the Clone Wars. I just chalk it up to bad retcon, much like other inconsistencies.

So years later Luke comes in and he doesn't come from that sort of upbringing. And certainly he wasn't trained the way Padawans have gone through their teachings.
You mean he was never told he couldn't love, so he thought "BONZAI" and went straight for kissin' his sister! ;)

I think in that sort of way, Luke is probably the last labeled "Jedi" and that Luke DOESN'T want to train Rey in that sort of mindset. That there is a huge gray area to consider and that may not be along the lines of the Jedi belief system. And so, while Luke will train her elements of the Jedi, she will not be called Jedi by the end of her training. That's just my theory revolving around conflicting rules and beliefs of the Jedi code.

Yeah, but, Luke wasn't trained the way the "Prequel Padawan" were trained. He went from "what's the Force" to "You must face Vader" in the blink of an eye. Luke certainly got the abridged version of "How to be a Jedi Knight". Like, he didn't even get the "How to be a Jedi Knight for Dummies" book, but rather a few pages out of the "Cliff's Notes". All Luke ended up with in the movies was: how to use a lightsaber, how to feel the force, how to concentrate through the Force, how to see a possible future, how to grab things with the Force, how to influence the weak minded, and how to Force Jump. He didn't get Force Push, nor Force Block, nor Force Lightning, hasn't yet been told how to come back as a Force Ghost, etc. So, though I see where you're coming from and it's a neat idea to think about, I don't think he specifically is going to deny the title of Jedi Knight to Rey. He can't, simply because the way he was trained to be a Jedi in the movies is how he (presumably, we haven't seen anything yet on how his Jedi Academy was set up and run, which may be addressed in Episode VIII) will train others like Leia, Ben (Solo), maybe Rey. Now if they go into detail about how Luke found a Jedi Holocron that outlines how to set up THE Jedi Academy, explain how he's had discussions at length with Obi-Wan's ghost and Anakin's ghost about why love and other positive emotions should or should not be allowed in the training of a Jedi, etc., that may give more precedence to your idea, without it however he only has what we've seen him be taught in Episode IV, V and VI.

Maybe they read a Sith Holocron?

Are there midichlorian smoothies? Gotta bulk up!
No, but I hear there's a black-market MidichloROIDian shot that you get Force jacked on! Force Rage in a syringe!!! It was a little birdy (Convorees) that told me, but you didn't hear it from me.:angel

Mara Jade was "The Emperor's Hand". If not for her encounter with Luke and Luuke, and had the Emperor or Vader survived ROTJ, she may well have become the next Sith in that line. She also had Luke's ESB saber. Which, along with Anakin using it to kill the youngones, could be part of why that lightsaber conjures up a spooky first encounter with itself for Rey. I think the poor thing has been quite shaken through the misuse it has had to endure.

Exactly! That's were my confusion lies. I've read a lot of Star Wars books, but never came across Bane and his "Rule of Two". It's almost impossible to catch up with it all and with Disney at the reigns, none of it matters. What really makes no sense is the Jedi using lightsabers in battle. Think about The Clone Wars...why would you have a sword to fight a bunch of robots when a blaster would be more efficient? A sword is a weapon best used against other swords. Sword against sword, 'mano a mano', knights and chivalry and all that... why would there be fields of lightsaber wielding Jedi and only 2 lightsaber wielding Sith? Not very sporting.

Problem is that's all old EU which is out.

=============

I won't argue it endlessly - i'll leave it at it would be easy to argue it endlessly. There flat out isn't enough official information on it.

Pretty sure all we've ever been presented in any format is that the Sith are a group and they use the dark side of the force. They haven't given much other meaning to being 'sith'. Why is this guy sith and that guy a dark force user? There's never really been a distinction.

The rule of 2 is toast, frankly. During the Clone Wars itself, you have Palpatine, Dooku, Ventress, and Maul and i haven't seen half of them yet. probably more. ALL were trained as sith. Regardless of 'rank' that's a bare minimum of 4 people doing sith things with sith training all at the same time....

16716314_10154962802472243_5258831585975464133_o.jpg

Interesting photo shared by Rian Johnson...he confirmed that yes, the FO Stormtrooper design has indeed been tweaked.

Looks like the 'frowns' are thinner. Don't notice any other differences, but I like the new design.

I'm really hoping that Finn is a cyborg in this next one. I want to see some cool augmented back brace or something.

I fully agree. Luke was never a Jedi. Neither was Kanan or Ezra.

If Ashoka is alive after rebels, she was probably the last living jedi

Luke is a Jedi because Yoda said he was. Just because he didn't follow the traditional route, which we know isn't 100% the best way in retrospect, doesn't mean he's not a Jedi if the Jedi Grandmaster (is that a thing?) gives you that title. He's says "When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be." I would argue that Kanan, going through his own trials (just pick one, surviving Order 66, fighting Inquisitors, etc.) is now a Jedi.

Yeah that SSD design sounds like the team who designed stuff in TFA... "Let's take something that should be awesome and just make it a boring giant triangle!" Hopefully they got the rumor wrong.

Cod piece and possibly the ankle pieces look a bit different but it's hard to tell. I definitely dig the new look though. Probably not anything that is supposed to be "in Universe" noticible, I'd guess just comfort and fit improvement.

Interesting photo shared by Rian Johnson...he confirmed that yes, the FO Stormtrooper design has indeed been tweaked.

Looks like the 'frowns' are thinner. Don't notice any other differences, but I like the new design.

i wonder why they didnt stick with the same armor? i really like the new changes, but from a expensive point of view, i figure its cheaper to keep the same design. not having to go through tooling all over again

i wonder why they didnt stick with the same armor? i really like the new changes, but from a expensive point of view, i figure its cheaper to keep the same design. not having to go through tooling all over again

I thought the same thing when I saw the photo. I understand small changes to the body armor for increased comfort for actors, but a minor tweak to all of the helmets seems like a silly use of effort. HOWEVER, considering how most props and costumes had subtle, if not much more noticeable differences from film to film in the OT, I'm really glad they tweaked things. In my opinion, even if it was an unnecessary expense, it keeps it in line with what makes Star Wars so awesome.

Besides, what fun would it be if our TFA FO TK helmets were accurate for all 3 movies? :lol

What doesn't make sense to me about that is the timeline being right where 7 leaves us. Starkiller Base just got blown up and you're telling me mere moments after the Stormtroopers have armor upgrades in the midst of needing to rebuild infrastructure?

What doesn't make sense to me about that is the timeline being right where 7 leaves us. Starkiller Base just got blown up and you're telling me mere moments after the Stormtroopers have armor upgrades in the midst of needing to rebuild infrastructure?
How about different units were issued revisions made at different suppliers? I don't know, make up your own explanation. Not that big of a deal. The OT had variations too.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back