The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Kevin Gossett

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
With the huge success of the movie opening weekend and the bevy of Star-Lords kicking around here, I figured it was time this got thrown together. I would like to use this thread to pool our resources to decode one of the most detailed costumes I've seen around!

Knowing that just about every piece is custom, we can at least try to figure out fabrics, hardware, colors, etc. to help in putting together some pretty great, accurate costumes.

So let's start with what we know: custom, custom, custom. Marvel has been moving in this direction for quite some time, and it certainly isn't making our lives easier!

Here's a quick video showcasing some of the pieces with commentary from the property master and costume designer:

If you have seen the film, you know there are three distinct looks the Quill has: the trench seen on Morag, the short jacket used throughout the film, and the third act uniform utilized during the final battle.

Trench:

guardians-of-the-galaxy-star-lord-run-marvel.jpg

chris-pratt-on-star-lord-being-a-kid-at-heart-in-guardians-of-the-galaxy.jpg

10491099_10152200944187344_4369905804607968926_n.jpg

Short Jacket:

star-lord-guardians-jacket.jpg

1406910558573_01-chris-pratt-peter-quill.jpg

starlord1.jpg

starlord4.jpg

starlord5.jpg

Arclight Display photos courtesy of Willie/alienscollection.com

​Third Act Uniform:

guardians-of-the-galaxy-chris-pratt-star-lord-flight1.jpg

fe6846cecda983499f4d65a24821f22d.jpg

As you can see, all three jackets have very distinct differences outside of their color. Construction, fabrication, and details are all over the place! For my own costume, I'm first focusing on the short jacket. Just like the majority of Star-Lords out there, I purchased the replica (found on many different sites, I picked mine up on ebay)

My plan is to use the jacket as a base and rework some of the details to bring it just a little bit closer to accurate.

Lucky for us, the trench costume and the short jacket costume are pretty much the same with a few exceptions (other than the jacket). The shirt, belt/holsters, pants, and boots are all used for both looks. The trench costume has the addition of gloves. Quill also carries with him a sling bag worn cross-body with both of these costumes.

Star-Lord_and_Gamora.jpg

This is the best image I have found to show detail of the jacket, sling bag, pants, and boots.

Next, let's take a look at the shirt.

As best I can tell, it is similar to a pique knit in a steel blue/grey color. It has a custom wide ribbed collar, and some mesh-like panels on the abdomen.

starlord2.jpg

Many people have gone with a basic long sleeve Hanes T-shirt in a close enough color. I was able to find a short sleeve pique knit tee that looks pretty close in color. I would like to add the collar detail and mesh panels, but I don't think I'm likely to find fabric in the right color to add those details.

On to the pants. OH the pants! These things are a beast. So many details and multiple fabrics.

Referencing the same image above that shows the back of the pants, it looks as though the exterior panels are made from a waxed cotton/canvas and the interior panels are possibly a cotton twill or nylon/cordura. There is the same type of zipper, which appears to be nonfunctional, that is used on the short jacket. On the front of the pants there are two panels at the top with a faint ticking stripe stitched in, an extended flap closure, more panels, straps, and snaps. You'll also find the rocket controls mounted to the outside of the knee. At the knee there is also what looks to be some pleated horizontal panels. On the hips are leather padding, similar to motorcycle pants body armor. This is where the quad blasters sit while holstered (more on that later)

2014-07-31-14.56.55.png

I am waiting on some fabric samples of some waxed cotton canvas to see how I like the color, and I'm also waiting on some black cordura to arrive. My plan is to make these completely from scratch. Should be fun! (even my wife who sews often doesn't think she can do it--I got this! :lol)

Moving down to the boots. We have already determined that the soles come from a pair of Skecher's Diameter shoes, though which exact model I'm not sure. It would appear they added the soles to black knee high boots, and then added custom brown leather spats over the front.

0126536.jpg

starlord3.jpg

Again, referencing the image above of the back of Quill, you can see all the detail of the back of the boots and spats, how they are connected, and where the rockets sit.

Speaking of rockets, let's talk accessories!

Helmet, quad blasters, Walkman, belt/buckle...

star-lord-helmet-guns-walkman-guardians-galaxy-comic-con-13-610x405.jpg

There's already been several replicas that have been produced (or are in the works). There have also been some C&Ds issued over these too, so I won't go into much detail on the helmet.

For the quad blasters, there are a few options out there. The Nerf blasters are excellent for a budget build, and that is the direction most people go. They are affordable, easily obtainable (for the time being), and easily modified.

GOTG-STAR-LORD-QUAD-BLASTER-A7910-Closed.jpg

There is a 3D print file courtesy of Helagak available here on the forums, which I in turn mastered and molded to produce casts.

20140804_004643_zpsygd5m8dq.jpg

pre-weathering*

Lastly, there have been several people here who have created their own using various methods: MDF, foam, etc.

@MorbidCharlie has done the best job so far at creating the belt--take a look at his build thread! I'm hoping a bit more reference will come out on that so we can get a clearer look at some of the intricacies. The buckle has been reproduced by many people using Sculpey to create the shape and ridges, then distressed and painted/weathered. I commissioned a 3D model of the buckle, and I am considering doing a run of cold cast buckles. I'll start up an interest thread in the coming weeks for that.

Finally, here is a quick video that @MattMunson shot at the Arclight Theater in Sherman Oaks along with @E-Wan

E-Wan mentioned to me earlier today he would be returning to take loads more photos of the screen-used costume on display. I'll definitely add more reference here as I can!

So let's have at it... What can you add?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx Kev.. Some great info there.. So ... when are you building me one?? :p I'm thinking I might have to get something together for an Star-Lord..

I was able to find a short sleeve pique knit tee that looks pretty close in color. I would like to add the collar detail and mesh panels, but I don't think I'm likely to find fabric in the right color to add those details.

Well that is an awful tease! What brand is the short sleeve shirt?

For the gloves was thinking about coyote Blackhawk SOLAG's re-dyed red.

For those of you wondering about the Walkman. It is a Sony Walkman TPS-L2, but more specifically, not the early model that only said stereo on the front, but the the later ones that said Sony Walkman. Prices for these range from $200-$400. A slightly cheaper option is to go with a 3rd gen walkman, the Sony WM-3 which is nearly identical, except it is an all black case, prices range from $50-$200. And the third option(s) are the Sony TCM-100 and TCM-600. Both are similar to the original, except coloring, and added buttons (these ones record) and a few other variances prices vary greatly with these, but I have seen some beat up ones for $40. Until I find a TPS-L2 for cheap, I am just going to go with a handmade case for my iPhone that will resemble one of these (to be made).

This site shows a lot of great angles of the TPS-L2 for those of you who will just make a prop piece. http://www.minimallyminimal.com/blog/sony-walkman-tps-l2

There was also a blue costume he wore at the very end. That almost leads into the comics a bit where he wears matching blue uniforms with his team. It looks very similar to the last costume, but a navy blue. Wish there were more pictures of that one as well.

I can't wait for the DVD/digital release of this!

Thanks for the shout out. I'm running into some real issues trying to replicate the shoes/boots and last night was ready to throw in the towel on the whole project. I've cooled down now. :p

One thing I wanted to mention (if you're going for screen accuracy) are the side vents on the quad-blasters. I've not seen anyone mention these or seen them on any of the models. On the top of the quad blaster there is a screen/vent in the shape of an oval. I found this by looking at the NERF toy and there is a small indented oval on the top where the vent is supposed to be. It's hard to see in most of the images, but you can see it here faintly:
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140709204325/disney/images/a/a6/Star-Lord_with_Quadblasters.jpg

One thing I wanted to mention (if you're going for screen accuracy) are the side vents on the quad-blasters. I've not seen anyone mention these or seen them on any of the models. On the top of the quad blaster there is a screen/vent in the shape of an oval. I found this by looking at the NERF toy and there is a small indented oval on the top where the vent is supposed to be. It's hard to see in most of the images, but you can see it here faintly:
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140709204325/disney/images/a/a6/Star-Lord_with_Quadblasters.jpg

Much easier to see here...

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 2.37.20 PM.png

I have amassed quite the collection of shots on these little buggers as I build up to making my own replicas.

I also have a guess that the "nose" of the gun, over those exposed heatsinks actually moves back and forth with each shot...but don't know how fast it does that. That might be a discovery that has to wait until the Bluray comes out.

-Nick

Adding to my library of The Art Of... books, I've got this on preorder:

51seu9xSVzL.jpg

Hopefully there is some great reference in there (and given the history of the series, there should be!)

Here are a few pictures of what I have so far.

The jacket:

20140806_104052_zpseuwguevz.jpg

First order of business here is to remove the awful slide buckles and leather straps on the forearms. I'm going to try to replace those with the oval grommets and canvas/nylon straps shown on the actual jacket

The shirt, which I picked up at TJ Maxx of all places (a discount clothing store) for only $8:

20140806_103905_zpsuk6tyekm.jpg

And a close-up of the knit texture. It photographs more grey than blue, but in person it has more of a blue tone to it.

20140806_103916_zpsz1jb6sdb.jpg

And my Walkman (complete with Awesome Mix Vol. 1 of course!). It's not a TPS-L2, but it will do for now. The blue color I chose is too bright, so I'm still on the lookout for a better color to paint with:

20140806_104244_zpscrzkvk4b.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

There was also a blue costume he wore at the very end. That almost leads into the comics a bit where he wears matching blue uniforms with his team. It looks very similar to the last costume, but a navy blue. Wish there were more pictures of that one as well.

I can't wait for the DVD/digital release of this!

At the end of the film, the whole team had blue uniforms on.

Maybe I missed something, but these were the uniforms they wore at the end...

guardians-galaxy-walking.jpg

If that is the scene you're referring to, you can see Quill is in his main costume (short jacket)

ScreenShot2014-08-06at111250AM_zps9f651fef.png

ScreenShot2014-08-06at111306AM_zpsa0cd71c9.png

"..something good, something bad, a bit of both.."

His pants do look pretty blue there though. I remember thinking the same thing in the theater. Could just be the lighting or my eyes playing tricks on me, but they definitely look different.

The more I dive into this project the more I see that there are so many different outfits that look almost the same for starlord within this one movie... once GotG2 comes out there is gonna be another half dozen outfits too, hahaha.

The Walkman wm-3 is a better alternative. Its the same body and has minimum differences compared to the differences of the 600

Same uniforms, but they were blue. Every member looked exactly the same, but they were blue. This was when they were each parting ways with the Nova Corpsman John C. Reilly (actor).

Yep, Quill wore his signature jacket, but they all had the blue uniforms on, even had a size for Rocket. :)

Yep, Quill wore his signature jacket, but they all had the blue uniforms on, even had a size for Rocket. :)

Yes, I knew I wasn't going crazy. I definitely remembered Rocket's because I am trying to figure out what uniform to make my Rocket Racoon display in (Orange, red, blue).

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back