Suicide Squad (Post-release)

Bad Reviews compilation on Collider

[DELETED THE FAKE ARTICLE LINK... I got suckered by the Will Smith hates Jared Leto thing. Sorry]

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it feels like all of the hype about Leto with this movie is more of a marketing gimmick. They keep pushing all of his antics into the news so people will see the movie just to see just how crazy his Joker is. I'm not biting. This movie has looked bad from the first trailer. I'll wait until it's part of an in-flight movie or hits Netflix, but not a day sooner.

Last edited:

I like this short article about how Will Smith feels about Jared Leto. I feel like if one of the bigger name actors is openly expressing his opinion of his cast mate like this, the odds of a sequel, or at least of the two being paired in another DCU movie are slim. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it feels like all of the hype about Leto with this movie is more of a marketing gimmick. They keep pushing all of his antics into the news so people will see the movie just to see just how crazy his Joker is. I'm not biting. This movie has looked bad from the first trailer. I'll wait until it's part of an in-flight movie or hits Netflix, but not a day sooner.

Yeah that stuff seems really weird to me, how he sent Joel Kinnamen used condoms? Its like the studio knows that people know that Heath Ledger locked himself in a room to prepare for joker and watched some weird stuff, but they are taking this to next level weird. Its so corporate, its like a focus group of executives are trying to be like "you should see this movie, its so wacky and weird, I mean, joker had a damaged tattoo on his forehead. Is that CRAZY?!?! Totally go see the movie". Its so odd.

Just read that article you posted Father thats hilarious. Thats exactly how I think I would feel about him. Knock that **** off man.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to see it tomorrow, but I find it hard to believe it's as bad as the current critics make it sound. Perhaps it is, but reading them all, it sounds like some either wanted an R rated Deadpool like movie, or, well, a Guardians of the Galaxy copy. It kinda feels like critics are not receptive at all to any CBM that's not coming from Marvel... I'm not buying into these "paid critics" non-sense, but I'm starting to wonder if they're not getting formatted to the Marvel formula and just reject everything else, except for Deadpool that is sort of a parody of comic book movies...Or I'm just imagining things. I'll make my mind tomorrow.
One thing I do know, @NeilT, is that if this movie is indeed failing, it's not because of the costumes or any gender swap... :rolleyes

The impression that I'm getting through all the reviews is pretty consistent.
Whilst elements of it are an improvement on BvS the overall dark and miserable tone of that film continues to permeate into this one, despite some good one liners and better character moments, so that the overall presentation feels somewhat disjointed and the resulting story is very uneven.
That said ,the first act of character introductions is widely appreciated by nearly everyone, but after that it all goes predictably formulaic with a VERY standard plotline, repetitive and uninspiring mass brawls and a highly unimpressive villain with a somewhat flat ending and oddly fitting cameos. And the Joker is used here tangentially , rather than being essentailly central to the plot ,which is a shame (and nothing like the trailers hint at), as most reviewers think he is quite the impressive madman.
This all says ,at least to me, that those reshoots that happened after the success of 'Deadpool' have been roughly shoehorned into the movie and, after the disasterous reviews of BvS ,the editting has tried to force the film in another direction, with very mixed results.
As pointed out by Solo4114, the change in tone of the trailers, particularly the introduction of the fun element and thumping music scores shows how just aware WB and DC was that they potentially had another disaster on their hands, and they have tried to fix that, but the bulk of the story simply wouldn't allow it,so they have gone back to the simpler less complex moments at the beginning to make it snap a little better and it has helped, but it only helps to show the weakness in other areas later on.
The difficulty is we've had this epic marketing campaign, similar to that of 'Deadpool' ,that has slanted the movie towards being something that it obviously isn't ie 'Deadpool'. And thats going to raise a few hackles. I didn't think it would be anything like DP or GOTG but I had hoped it would have the strength in its direction and writing to be its own beast and be a bit more inventive, given the anti hero cast and the strength of some of the best villains in DC . I see soon anyway.

I think Wonder Woman will be a good stand-alone movie. I think audiences are ready... if for no other reason than utter desperation to see a good DC "flagship character" movie after being fed so many turds lately.

This is a bummer so see, because I wanted to really be wrong about my gut feeling that this one wouldn't do well.

If there is any film to turn around the rough spot DC has been in trying to make a home run I felt it was Suicide Squad. I didn't like a lot of what I saw in the trailers, but I was open to seeing it and having my mind changed, but these reviews coming in that seems to be pinning it in a much worse spot than Ghostbusters was getting makes me very worried.

Critics aren't my basepoint decision for deciding whether to see a film or not, but there's just so many reviews out right now of which none sound good at all, that it sounds like it really missed the mark with a lot of potential.

This looks like a pretty critical misstep on DC's part and is going to hurt the franchise.

Wonder Woman is the only upcoming DC film that looks promising at all right now. That's a big mess to fix with these other films coming next year.

out of all the trailers, wonder woman is the only one i am going to go see at the theater.

I think I'll skip justice league and will DEF skip SS.

I've seen it done far better in the animated verse.

So can we start discussing that maybe it's not the directors(Snyder or Ayer) who are producing bad movies but Warner Bros who are meddling with these movies in post. BvS not getting the 3 hour cut released in theaters and Suicide Squad having major cuts from test screenings that made the movie alot more of mess.

So can we start discussing that maybe it's not the directors(Snyder or Ayer) who are producing bad movies but Warner Bros who are meddling with these movies in post. BvS not getting the 3 hour cut released in theaters and Suicide Squad having major cuts from test screenings that made the movie alot more of mess.

Based on what CutThumb is suggesting above, which I agree with, then the additions to this film are some of the stronger elements. It is true studio meddling can sink a good film, but that's usually the exception, not the rule. It's usually the Sreenwritters who sell a weak story and director who can't fix it in time.

I like this short article about how Will Smith feels about Jared Leto. I feel like if one of the bigger name actors is openly expressing his opinion of his cast mate like this, the odds of a sequel, or at least of the two being paired in another DCU movie are slim..

That article is an obvious joke. Maybe Smith really doesn't like Jared Leto, but that article and the supposed interviews it cites are totally fake.

I don't know,....I still don't think the audience is ready.....I know it's a while since CatWoman & Electra

J

That wasn't because they were women. That was because their movies were ****.

BTW: a movie that would actually work: Catwoman story told from her perspective as an anti-hero with Batman presented as the villain, from her point of view.

Yes, I read on i09 this was put out by a satire web site and is completely fictitious.

My bad... I didn't think I needed to fact check something like that. It certainly sounded like it could be true considering everything hyping Leto's "in character" pranks throughout the production.

I don't know,....I still don't think the audience is ready.....I know it's a while since CatWoman & Electra

J

That wasn't because they were women. That was because their movies were ****.

BTW: a movie that would actually work: Catwoman story told from her perspective as an anti-hero with Batman presented as the villain, from her point of view.

I'd say there are more successful action/scifi/superhero movies with female leads lately than unsuccessful. Hunger Games, Fury Road (It may have had Max's name on the title, but Charlize Theron's Furiosa was the main character in that movie), Alice in Wonderland (it sucked, but it still is in the top 50 domestic gross films), and Gravity to name a few.

If the movie is well made, audiences will turn out, and don't underestimate the fact that there are a LOT of women out there like me who have been clamoring for a female lead superhero story for YEARS now.

I like this short article about how Will Smith feels about Jared Leto. I feel like if one of the bigger name actors is openly expressing his opinion of his cast mate like this, the odds of a sequel, or at least of the two being paired in another DCU movie are slim. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it feels like all of the hype about Leto with this movie is more of a marketing gimmick. They keep pushing all of his antics into the news so people will see the movie just to see just how crazy his Joker is. I'm not biting. This movie has looked bad from the first trailer. I'll wait until it's part of an in-flight movie or hits Netflix, but not a day sooner.

I don't think I can take anyone seriously if they actually think that Will Smith v Jared Leto article is real...theres a section at the end saying that his press agent says "Ahhh" for 25 minutes.

It might not be the best film, but most of my trusted reviewers have expressed enjoyment, so I think I'll be enjoying it. Am sure it has issues however, which sounds like a shame - Ayers other films have been fairly tight.

I'd say there are more successful action/scifi/superhero movies with female leads lately than unsuccessful. Hunger Games, Fury Road (It may have had Max's name on the title, but Charlize Theron's Furiosa was the main character in that movie), Alice in Wonderland (it sucked, but it still is in the top 50 domestic gross films), and Gravity to name a few.

If the movie is well made, audiences will turn out, and don't underestimate the fact that there are a LOT of women out there like me who have been clamoring for a female lead superhero story for YEARS now.

Oh yes,...I forgot about Hunger Games & the other examples,....I just automatically remembered Superhero films,...I really do hope that DC gets it's act together from now on,.....The Suicide Squad was already in production when they had a change in direction,....so with the new films currently in production, they should be able to make them more palatable.

I'm looking forward to the next Batman & Superman flix

J

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back