Re-imagining the 11th Dr. Sonic screwdriver..

Thank you.

With respect to the electronics, it isn't that I am confident, rather that I will try, usually the simplest option first and if it doesn't work I will seek an answer to the problem. It is how I learnt to machine metal, design the components and build the sonic screwdriver. Funnily enough though, after trying it, I quite enjoy working with surface mount components!

Two possible changes. One forced upon me and the other a choice. The aluminium support needs to be modified. I thought this would end up being the case when I made it. The holes for the guide rods are out of place, a product of problems with the mill when it was made. I widened them, with the intention of making brass inserts, but to compensate for the offset meant that the wall of the sleeve was too thin and would buckle, as indeed it did. There are three possible solutions to this problem. One would be to fill the two holes, I am thinking of doing this with white metal or Chemical metal, then re-boring them. The second choice is to make a new ring and mount the arms from the original support to it. Third is to completely remake the support column from solid aluminium bar. Each choice has it's pros and cons, in the mean time I have started with the second choice.

On the other hand. The battery monitor circuit. I am thinking of mounting this under the white part of the sonic's handle rather than the black waisted part. The plastic is quite thin therefore translucent and the LEDs would glow through the plastic when activated. I think this would look quite cool. Like bowties and Fezes really.

See you soon.

Hi all.

Yet another quick update. Things are still moving forward, but most are boring machining and adjustment tasks. I am still working on the aluminium head support. This is the second one, the first didn't turn out so well, with one of the holes not parallel. Probably due to the fact that mid way through making it, I changed my mind about the design. Unfortunately this was just after cutting a series of slots in the ring for some brass keys to retain the arms. The second is currently being made, on the mill. This is taking quite some time due to changes in the layout of the ring and some additional features to be added. After that, the original support part will be disassembled and fitted to the new ring. The dimensions are quite critical to retain the emitter head.

There will be some pictures soon of the new parts, and with a little luck a short video of the ring and support arms on the drive mechanism. Then, maybe a new feature to be added, that was not in the original plan. All may be explained soon.

One day, soon this will be done.

See you all soon.

More pics of your workshop as well.

By your command.

A picture of my entire workshop, well, the machine shop. I do almost all of the metalwork in here. Very small parts are made on the Peatol/Taig lathe which is fairly portable.

There is a work area where the electronics tomfoolery takes place. Up in the attic. There is an old oscilloscope, a power supply. An oldish DiHydrogen Oxide gas torch, soldering iron and various other tools. Also up there, stashed away are two real robots, Cybots and the magazines, and other robots, nearly all of the Star Trek magazines, a modest collection of ...

Science fiction books, bet you thought I was going to say something else. And a gathering of old models waiting to be built.

And here is a picture of the metal shop. It really is that small. If Ihiccup I impale myself on one of the handles on the Lathe. :)

Attachments

• 20130507_194428.jpg
    20130507_194428.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
Good day to all.

Time for a longer update I think. Also the traveler has returned from his sojourn in the more fashionable right spiral arm of the galaxy with more tales of the ridiculous, the incredible and the downright ludicrous to tell. So onward dear friends, with the further travails that have pursued the construction of this sonic screwdriver.

So where to begin. A couple of months ago I wanted to start moving forward on the extending mechanism. Part of this was the electronics and motor. Part was the support column. I knew I had a problem with the support column, the guide holes and the threaded holes had been drilled out of position. In order to rectify this a couple of ideas were considered. The first was to plug the holes and re drill them. Well I tried this, but the results were not encouraging. So I decided on a more drastic plan.

The first part was to make a new support ring. Originally this was to be the same arrangement as the original with the arms at 45 degrees to the the guide holes. So I embarked upon the machining of this part. Part of the way through the process of fabrication the part, I changed the layout. Now the guide holes were to be located behind the support arms. Unfortunately the holes were to be drilled after the locating pins were machined. This wouldn't be a problem with the original design. However with the redesign, the slots allowed the drill to wander, resulting in the holes not being straight. Although the holes were in the right place on one side of the part, on the other they were so out of place they were no better than the original.

Version 2. Creating a new blank, bored to just over 15mm diameter. Just enough to clear the centre tube.

20130510_172005.jpg

Does it look familiar.

tennant sonic.jpg

With this part fabricated, on to an act of vandalism. The original support column was sawn up, releasing the 4 arms.

Oh no, what have I done!

20130510_175513.jpg

A jig was set up on the mill to machine each of the arms. Several operations were needed. In fact 4 operations for each arm. Also the dimensions were fairly critical, as the support arms held the head of the sonic, and the dimensions were already set. So over this weekend the arms were re-machined and test fitted to the new support ring.

Construction of the new support structure.

20130511_100559.jpg

20130511_133642.jpg

After all of the arms had been completed. There was some adjustment needed for fit. After this work was done the assembly was temporarily secured using superglue including the head. There is still some work that needs to be done. The guides are still sticking and there are some paces where it jams. When assembled finally, it will be secured with epoxy for a more permanent fixture.

The Final Test assembly.

20130512_225028.jpg

Well I told you he was back., If you have got this far, you were warned.

"I've just got back from Squornshellous Beta" he said, "I was setting up a mattress cleaning franchise when this bloke Dent turned up and asked me if I knew where he could get a good cup of tea"

If the answer is 42, then someone somewhere really messed up.

tennant sonic.jpg20130510_171816.jpg20130510_175513.jpg20130511_100546.jpg20130511_100559.jpg20130511_133642.jpg20130511_145930.jpg20130511_163026.jpg20130512_225028.jpg20130510_172005.jpg

I very rarely post in this thread because I'm always struck speechless by how impressive your work is. Mind blowing.

Thank you. I am not sure that I would agree with the mind-blowing part, I rarely rate my work above B-, enthusiastic but could do better. I am still trying to figure out how to put it all together. I just have to work out where to put the speaker!

Hi all,
A quick update and a picture for your enjoyment.

Almost all of the parts are now made. There are just a couple of circuit boards to make and test, including the switch board. Also the switch cover has to be made and then some polishing.

Here is a picture of almost all of the parts that will eventually end up as the sonic screwdriver.

IMG_3319.JPG

You can see why I am having problems working out how to assemble it. :)

Another short update.

Hi there, well I have been busy, and there has been some progress. After I disassembled all of the parts for the sonic, I started the assembly process. Beginning with the very heart of the sonic. The extending mechanism. No mere spring and flick assembly, oh no. Something far more pointlessly intricate and complicated. I had to make two new gears, after one of them made a successful break for freedom. That took up quite a lot of time. But this evening, after some adjustments, the extending mechanism is complete and IT WORKS!

So without any further ado. a short video featuring my hand and the heart of the sonic...

Thank you for your time. feel free to comment, laugh, make plans for World Domination or have a nice cup of tea.

Last edited by a moderator:
The more I see this the more I hate that it is not mine!

If you happen to bump into agrajag, tell him he's a pretty 'froody guy' for me!

Thanks to all for the comments,

M.M.R., it's funny you should mention Agrajag. My hitch hiking friend called last week with a terrible tale. He was walking through a small hamlet on Betelgeuse with a friend. He was quite taken aback when his friend screamed at the top of his voice "DEeeeNT!" And tried to conceal himself behind the hitch hiker. Well this action somewhat annoyed an Arcturian Mega-wasp that had settled itself comfortably into the folds of my friend's towel. Said wasp erupted and attacked the perpetrator of the commotion. All my friend heard was the screech of tires and thud. Turning, he saw his companion lain in the road. As he comforted him, his friends last words were "Dent, AGAIN, I'll get him if it is the last thing..." Anyway I understand that the Hitch hikers friend has been reincarnated as a Ravenous bugblatter beast, but is the only one to develop a religion and lives in fear of the coming of the Dent. Funnily he calls himself Agrajag as well.

Back to work...

Thanks to all for the comments,

M.M.R., it's funny you should mention Agrajag. My hitch hiking friend called last week with a terrible tale. He was walking through a small hamlet on Betelgeuse with a friend. He was quite taken aback when his friend screamed at the top of his voice "DEeeeNT!" And tried to conceal himself behind the hitch hiker. Well this action somewhat annoyed an Arcturian Mega-wasp that had settled itself comfortably into the folds of my friend's towel. Said wasp erupted and attacked the perpetrator of the commotion. All my friend heard was the screech of tires and thud. Turning, he saw his companion lain in the road. As he comforted him, his friends last words were "Dent, AGAIN, I'll get him if it is the last thing..." Anyway I understand that the Hitch hikers friend has been reincarnated as a Ravenous bugblatter beast, but is the only one to develop a religion and lives in fear of the coming of the Dent. Funnily he calls himself Agrajag as well.

Back to work...

This is indeed a most curious thing, as just the other day myself and my best Mate. Flips (Who happens to be in fact, a dolphin) were speaking, among other things, the extrastential place of man in the universe. he had some very intriguing, if not disturbing (To a bi-pedal mammal such as myself) insights. It would serve the narative best if I simply quote him! I am in fact able to quote him as he has the annoying habbit of transcribing everything he says and making a hard copy for posterity!

He said.... “For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.”

Then I directed him to this thread and showed him the reimagined sonic of which you have been tirelessly working, and he oogled it, eyes growing wide, he turned to me and said. “Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”

I laughed, tossed him a fish and wished him a hearty Cheery-O!

Good work, Mate and carry on. And, make two, I'll be needing one as well!

Hi all,
A little update. It is back to the electronics for a few more days so there is little to show. Anyway I didn't want to let everyone down.

So here's a little something for you all.

liberator blaster.jpg

Enjoy.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back