Obi Wan/Luke "Nipple" blade socket

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Looking at the LFL photos....the V2's nipple is part of the entire emitter head, right? It has no set-screw on the side of the emitter (only 2 in the nipple).

The Shared stunt does. Something was inserted where the nipple would be, and set with a grub screw.
Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 7.41.36 PM.png

If the Nipple was ground off, why did it leave a large hole?

sharedstuntemitter.jpg

Was the Nipple a separate unit, inserted into the emitter? You can still see the rod holding the emitter on. Maybe glued in place. Maybe this set screw is for the rod?

I thought this and the V2 were identical. If you chop the nipple off the V2, you'd still have a hole the size of the rod. Not this.

sharedstuntemitter.jpg

LFA_SharedStunt_VaderStunt1.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 7.41.36 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Nipple was removable on the V2 also. both emitter and nipple are secured to the rod using grub screws. Grub screw hole on the emitter ring seen on this picture in the bottom left.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    353.5 KB · Views: 168
On the V2, the nipple is still attached to the emitter head. On the Shard Stunt, the set-screw on the side of the emitter was taken out and the cylinder was pulled out.

The V2 and Shared Stunt were identical when they came out of the same cast aluminum mold, but they do have some slight differences on how they were prepared for the spinning blade assembly.

The original wooden blades had a post on the end that went into the cylinder and was fixed with a set-screw in the cylinder (nipple). The Aluminum blades they used in ESB/ROTJ also had the post, for the ROTJ Vader stunt the post was embedded in the emitter, the blade removed, and the post was sawed off.

I'm not sure anyone knows why the nipple/cylinder was removed on the Shared Stunt and left on the V2.

I had no idea it was removable on the V2. I never saw that set screw until now! (THANK YOU!) it's in a really small area, that was smart.

I'm a little sad this wasn't included in the recent runs, but it never came up. brandon said the emitter was one whole piece and that was that.

That being said, I'm cherishing my V2 because it has rotating parts and is super accurate of course

Man, I hope this thread helps some other people too. Mind blown.

Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 8.38.42 PM.png

I came back to say they went overkill removing the paint! There wasn't a nipple to "grind off" guys jeesh, maybe try sandpaper next time

Brandon would know better than anyone, but knowing there is a set screw hole on the emitter itself leads me to think that if thy really did cast the same parts there is no reason that the nipple would be part of the emitter. The hole/indent on the emitter is seen on the stunt casts. No reason to think it wasn't there all along.

Is this verified anywhere? Theses photos provide a convincing argument for it, otherwise. Should this be the case, there must be something in the Shared Stunt's emitter (possibly a nut or spacer) fitted on the rod inside to hold it all together, because the "nipple" well is much too shallow and doesn't seem to line with the grub screw hole on the emitter body.

The more is known about these things the wackier they seem to be constructed.:wacko So the nipple itself is something that slots into a post and that ​held the blades? Is that right?

The nipple cylinder was longer than just the part that you see sticking up on the V2. It's as long as the part you see on the V2 plus the depth of the hole in the emitter of the Shared Stunt.

The rod went into the emitter head past the cylinder and the whole thing was held in place with a set-screw.

I'm gonna be honest, I kinda wondered if the RoTJ saber worked like that with the nipple being removable or not. I think I was looking at blade plugs when the thought occurred to me. I figured it would've been "too complicated" to produce and dismissed the thought. Never saw tyebpics of the grub screws before.

BUT,
That would perfectly explain why you have some versions of the stunts that don't have it on them. Maybe it was in between takes or after shooting was done for the day and they took it in different conversions to make casts of it.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back