Rocketeer Rocketpack Revisited

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I don't often see thread of people tearing back into a finished prop years later. So, here we go.

IMG_1563_o.jpg
I've torn apart my Rocketeer Cirrus X3 in an effort to refine it and improve it's electronics. When I finished it a few years back I was mostly pleased with it, but partly exhausted from the project. Some corners were cut.

I'm also putting together a run of the electronic kits I have installed (here if you;re interested: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=275164 ... This has me revisiting my own pack's electronics and realizing ... after building an R2D2 ... I've learned a lot.

Upgrades will include:
  • Completely new wiring, color coded and less of a mess.
  • Integrated chip mount for more reliable connection over the breadboard I was using
  • A Canakit 7 watt amp and upgraded speaker for "con-ready" volume
  • Revised lighting with MORE LEDS!
  • New leather harness from thicker leather. Likely redoing the pad out of cowhide as well.

This is all completely unnecessary, but digging into to it has been like visiting old friend.

Here's the old speaker and electronics set up. It worked but was prone to "misfires" .. the speaker worked well at home, but when I had it out to shows it was a bit underwhelming.
IMG_6974.JPGIMG_6975.JPGIMG_7001.jpg
Here's the little amp I'll be installing to pump up the sound.
6.jpeg
Here's the old light ring assembly I scratch built. I'm getting larger light rings so I 3D printed a revised frame to hold the rings.
IMG_7001.jpgIMG_7002.JPGIMG_7003.JPG
The new Chip terminal that will hold the soundboard more securely. Custom labels on the side keep the wiring easy to remember.
IMG_7004.jpg
New speaker with more BOOM!
IMG_7005.jpgIMG_7012.JPG
I'm redoing the leatherwork ... I can do better. I am keeping this basic design. I know it's not screen accurate with the buckles. But this works so well and is a breeze to strap on people of different sizes. Sometimes simple is good.
IMG_7011.jpg
All taken apart. No turning back now.
IMG_7006.jpgIMG_7010.JPGIMG_7017.JPG

Last edited:
I give you a lot of credit building it in a way it was able to be torn apart. I've seen a lot of props built with a sense of permenance I can't bring myself to do. I like to have the option to go back in if need be. Great work can't wait to see the upgrades.

Glad you mentioned this. Its a big part of my build process. I avoid glue where I can. Although on styrene and resin it can get tricky. Even my R2 can break down into many core pieces for improvement and repair.

I give you a lot of credit building it in a way it was able to be torn apart. I've seen a lot of props built with a sense of permenance I can't bring myself to do. I like to have the option to go back in if need be. Great work can't wait to see the upgrades.

Glad you mentioned this. Its a big part of my build process. I avoid glue where I can. Although on styrene and resin it can get tricky. Even my R2 can break down into many core pieces for improvement and repair.

I've spent a majority of the time on my build making sure I can break it down. It definitely requires a Good amount of forethought and planning. I don't regret the time spent.

The soundboard drives the amp ... it has a 1.5 watt amp built in, but the 7 watt amp should make a difference. It's a similar amp and board the ghostbusters use.

Impressive. What are you using to drive the amp?

LIGHTS!
So I can't imagine using something better for this than these Halo Light Rings. They are meant for use around car headlights. Run on 12V, and are pretty economical. On the left is my old setup, on the right is the new one. I'm adding an additional ring, and I've switched to better quality ones through superbrightleds.com. The old ones were China cheepos. I can't believe how much brighter the new ones are. Each rocket will go from 33 LEDS to 51 LEDS.

The kit I'm selling includes the large outer ring.

IMG_7021.jpgIMG_7022.jpg

The soundboard drives the amp ... it has a 1.5 watt amp built in, but the 7 watt amp should make a difference. It's a similar amp and board the ghostbusters use.

Didn't they use an untested nuclear accelerator?

It still looks great after all the con events, that metallic paint you found must be some tough stuff.

Hi Valor, I'm interested. Have you considered changing the depth of the rings so they are not all inside the same plane? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Interesting thought ... Only risk is some of the lights hiding behind the rings of others. Think I'll stick with the single plane here.

Hi Valor, I'm interested. Have you considered changing the depth of the rings so they are not all inside the same plane? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Was this a kit build or scratch? If it's a kit, which one? The MiM kit doesn't appear to have the center fan housing as a separate piece.

*Edit*
*Found your Blog*

Last edited:
IMG_7138.JPGIMG_7145.JPGIMG_7146.JPGIMG_7147.JPGdrives the sound. Much, much founder and I have an on-board volume switch. So, yeah, brighter, louder!

Sure! Not sure if you'll notice the difference in the video. But I only turned it up to like 2 or 3 .... I think if I cranked it the speaker would blow. Powerful little amp :)

Would be fun to hear it;)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back