Harry Potter Golden Snitch

Udermeister

Hey guys! I haven't posted much but I wanted to share this thing I made recently. It was originally intended to be a Christmas gift, but turned into a longer project due to lack of funds and ability to paint outside because winter.

Anyway, here's my take on the Golden Snitch from the wizarding world, complete with it's own archival box from the Ministry of Magic:

20160221_203014.jpg20160221_203022.jpg20160221_203036.jpg

It was my first time using any kind of weathering techniques, and my intent was to make it look like it was an antique and just relatively dirty. I think it worked well, but I can definitely see room for improvement.

It started out as a 40mm ping pong ball that I wrapped with some (I think) 18 gauge wire for the raised pattern. The two little "eyes" where the wings would come out are a couple plastic BBs that I shaved down until they fit right. I was so focused on making it that I didn't take any WIP photos. I've gotta get better at that...

I got the labels on the box from the free HP paper props thread, can't remember who the user was. But I think they worked out quite well!

Anyway, there it is. Hope ya like it!

Thanks! It was a christmas gift for my lady, so I wanted it to look as good as I possibly could. She absolutely loved it, so mission accomplished I guess eh? :)

Nice job! I've been thinking about giving one of these a try, but I wasn't completely sure where to begin. You've given me some good ideas. Did you also make the box?

Did you just glue the wire on there? Looks great!

I did indeed! Just real fine lines of Gorilla super glue in strategic places to hold it down and that's it!

Nice job! I've been thinking about giving one of these a try, but I wasn't completely sure where to begin. You've given me some good ideas. Did you also make the box?

The box I actually purchased from Michaels: http://www.michaels.com/10308297.html#start=11
Then I bought some Minwax "Jacobean" oil-based stain and hit the box with that. I chose this particular color because I felt like it was the most antique looking. http://www.lowes.com/pd_642702-678-227504444_1z0yyfe__?productId=999913811&pl=1&Ntt=jacobean

Very nice!

Thanks!

Really nice work. I've started making a number of Harry Potter props in preparation for a full decorating theme this Halloween so I think I may give one of these a try myself! Thanks for the inspiration!!

A few small additions to the interior of the box to display better, but here we go. Not bad for my first projects I think. A wooden ball from Michael's for the body, super glue and wire for the detail lines and small balls of polymer clay for the 'eyes'.

Thanks for showing the way! Wand tips from CalMusquez.
image2.JPGimage1.JPGimage3.JPGimage4.JPGimage5.JPGIMG_2820.JPG

Lookin' good man! Nice work! Glad I could inspire with mine! :D

A few small additions to the interior of the box to display better, but here we go. Not bad for my first projects I think. A wooden ball from Michael's for the body, super glue and wire for the detail lines and small balls of polymer clay for the 'eyes'.

Thanks for showing the way! Wand tips from CalMusquez.
View attachment 652508View attachment 652507View attachment 652509View attachment 652510View attachment 652511View attachment 652512

Final touches. Added a dry foam insert with velvet fabric to give it somewhere nice to sit. This will be a nice touch when Halloween decorations are put out in the house. On to a new project!
IMG_3168.JPGIMG_3175.JPGIMG_3176.JPG

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back