COMPLETE! "It's About Time!" Starcraft II Jim Raynor Armor *PIC HEAVY*

Re: "It's About Time!" Starcraft II Terran Marine CMC Armor WIP *PIC HEAVY*

Some additional photos of the Sideshow Collectibles figure for reference:
They did a Phenomenal job making this. (not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to their site or not...)

100181-raynor-003.jpg100181_press10.jpg100181-raynor-009.jpg100181-raynor-008.jpg
100181-raynor-011.jpg100181-raynor-014.jpg100181-raynor-015.jpg100181-raynor-016.jpg

Tychus "It's about Damn Time" Findlay from Sideshow Collectibles

"“Damn. You sure know how to pick your friends, Jimmy.”

Tychus.pngTychus SS-12-10172-2.jpgTychus 100213_press10.jpg
Tychus 100213_press11.jpgTychus 100213_press12.jpgTychus 100213_press13.jpg
Tychus 100213_press02.jpg

“When in doubt, empty your magazine.”

KPAX10 Wow thanks for those! I have seen those figures and wanted one ever since the prototype anouncement almost two years ago! Like most, can't afford to shell out that kind of dough for a toy. I wish... That thing is truly incredible!
I have the majority of the decals taken care of but the custom ones like Raynor's shoulder snake or Tychus' "Suck it down!" will have to be worked out after the first few layers of paint, before the majority of the weathering. I like the idea of No Tacos or Chili or something similar. Maybe "Bring on the Chimichangas!" or something. I'm open to suggentions on additional marking or decals - make a suggestion and you just might see your idea somewhere on the finished product! That goes for everyone. :D

On that note, lacking a filtration system similar to Iron Man, bathroom business will have to be addressed with great mental Zen control or I'll have to make sure my bladder is very empty before getting into this thing. In fact, in-game if you click on a marine enough times he shouts random things at you, one of which happens to be "How do you take a leak in this d*** suit??" Ironic. Guess we'll see!

Last edited by a moderator:

This build is epic! Hopefully you will be able to wear it at FanX or the next SLCC.

I've just started testing epsilon and it's great for a hard shell. Smooth On just released a product called UreCoat which is a flexible version, haven't had a chance to test it yet.

This build is epic! Hopefully you will be able to wear it at FanX or the next SLCC.

I've just started testing epsilon and it's great for a hard shell. Smooth On just released a product called UreCoat which is a flexible version, haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Thanks! I'm shooting for FanX but I'm wondering if I'll be able to paint during the winter... I don't exactly have a paint booth. Next SLCC for sure tho! and SDCC if I can afford the trip!
I'd love to hear how your Epsilon tests turn out! It's pricey so I want to know it'll work for this before jumping in and then finding out it doesn't work quite right. Urecoat looks pretty cool except I can't tell how smoothly it goes on, and being rubber I can't imagine it would sand at all. Keep me posted on the Epsilon tho! Thanks again!

So small update, I've finally dabbled a bit in the electronics. I aquired all the materials I needed (solder, wire, heat shrink, etc.) and got the main four chest lights wired up and tested! I used 10mm ultra bright white bulbs and flashlight reflectors I found online. Two little orange ones are up next, those are 3mm straw hat LED's for extra wide angle. Few things to know for anyone wanting to add lights to their props or costumes: make sure you plan how you're going to lay out all your lights before you start wiring because that will change the resistors you need, voltage, battery life, bulb brightness, and ease of wiring. Specifically, series vs. parallel, as well as which colors you're planning on using because most colors can't be strung together because they don't always run on the same amperage. For details, check out Svetlana Quindt's book on Cosplay lights. She's got some incredible builds and really knows her craft!

20151008_063026.jpg 20151008_072657.jpg

If you do SDCC I might actually get to meet you. If I can get my funds together too. I'm on the priority list for volunteers for next year. I was actually due to go this year as well, but couldn't do the flight & hotel. This time I know what to look out for ;) So I'm really wanting to do it.

@KPAX10 Damn, those are high quality models. Makes me wish I had the money for it. Will have to put it on my wishlist :D

@MWiggs I found out through a bit of dabbling with different woodglues that normal PVA glue goves a good base for paint, but it can be compressed with the foam underneath, but PU(PolyUrethane) glue would become a lot more rigid with a thin layer (maybe 0.2-0.4 mm thick), and then you could sand that down or add more layers with PVA/modpodge to get the smoothness you're looking for. I also used an acrylic sealant from a tube when I needed to fill in a lot of gaps and then used PVA on top of that. Haven't tried how paint would behave on top of PU glue, but I'm imagining it'll be better than straight to the foam anyways.

Anyhow, your project is looking good. Are you planning to have the batteries for your power-systems in the back of the torso? Seems like there would be a lot of space for it there, and if I remember correctly, you're going to have a pair of fans in the exhaust-ports on the torso.

Please document your testing with sealing/painting as well as you've documented everything else, this thread is a goldmine with regards to learning what works and what doesn't. I've already referred to your thread when someone was asking questions about a helmet where they could see but it would look opaque from the outside. Keep being awesome, and tell your SO that we love your work here on the internet :D

kialna - Hope to see you there! I'm really looking forward to seeing Deathwing complete it's looking incredible so far! Love the look of the cracked rock with lava showing behind - pretty epic painting skills you've got there!
Khaylain - Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard about PU before, I'll look into it! I'll tell you all about the battery packs below VVV :) and yes, I indend to continue giving all the information I can thru the rest of my build. Good to know it's already been of use to someone! Thanks again!

WEEKEND UPDATE!
I finally got the wiring started! After building the light housings and wiring them up last week, I tackled the little orange parking lights. I remade the housings for them, just shaped them out of EVA. First attempt was rolled foamies, but even glued together they flattened out overnight and became unusable. Let that be a lesson to you, foamies will form the shape you want, but if not properly heated during the forming process, they want to return to flat no matter how many layers you have glued together. I wired the oranges up with just 9V for demo purposes but the resistors are sized for 12V so they're even brighter with the right battery pack!

20151009_071224.jpg 20151009_072422.jpg

As for the battery packs, I'm using 8xAA for the front chest lights and 8xD's for the fans/parking lights. My reasoning for this is I wanted seperate switches for the chest lights and fans because while I'm sure I'll have the fans on all the time, I want to be able to turn the chest lights off so I'm not constantly blinding people. After all, they're about eye level after I'm all suited up! Also, the AA's work great for the LED's, but the fans need more amperage to run at a decent speed. I tried the torso on the other day with the fans running and WOW I have A/C! It's great! For placement of the battery packs, I've put them in the correct power supply location the actual suit has, the power cores up front. Oddly enough, the 8xD pack fits PERFECTLY in the space up there! Couldn't have planned it better! The AA's not so much, but a little velcro helped that. I have a third battery pack for the servos for the helmet that will fit nicely right next to the chest lights pack, but I'm not quite to that point yet. Also, the back of the torso is a bit heavier than the front so the packs up there help balance it out. Win-win!

20151011_212426.jpg 20151011_212439.jpg

I wanted to add the HUD light glow on my face like in the game when the visor is raised, so I used a green and blue square LED shaved down and stacked on top of each other, then cut a small channel inside the torso to attach it. I placed a snap lever switch in-line of the power to this light so when the visor shuts, it kills the light so the helmet remains dark on the inside. And I so-cleverly positioned the switch so it's activated by the visor itself. Visor closes, kills power to this light but leaves the chest light illuminated.

20151011_220209.jpg 20151012_070804.jpg 20151012_070820.jpg

And finally, I got the rest of the chest lights mounted and wired up with the rest and couldn't resist trying it out! Prior to gluing the large light housings in I masked off the lenses so when I paint I won't get overspray on the glass, hence why those lights aren't as bright and are green. I have more lenses for the upper lights but they can't go on quite yet so I left them open for now. Those little LED's pack a wollup! It's like I'm wearing 4 Mag lights on my chest!

20151012_070653.jpg 20151012_070706.jpg

Thanks for watching and thanks for the tips! Keep em coming! Tune in next time when I build the shoulder supports! And hopefully my vinyl gets here soon so I can finish up painting the helmet and get those servos mounted. It's go time!

I'm not sure if I'll bring Deathwing to me at SDCC! IF I have the funds to pay for the oversised luggage, maybe, but I think I'll bring Khan in his Qo'Nos outfit. Or maybe ship things ahead. But I'm afraid that it'd arrive too late. I also don't think it'll be finished before then. ;) but you might see it on the european blizzcon livestreams or something. Who knows!

Registered here just to chime in on this -- think what you are doing is amazing and you are helping me understand what it would take to do something like this (not ready to undertake but every bit of learning helps).

Also wanted to say - in your idea of how the suit fits together (shoulders straight, elbows for shoulders and wrists for elbows) -- i went back and looked at the opening cinematic for Wings of Liberty when Tychus is being fitted into his suit and that's exactly how they designed it. Here are some screenshots:

You can see the joint here, plus a "control" that lets him use the "fingers" on the "glove" -- the wrist area has a joint that only pivots right-left (effectively making this the elbow of the suit). Kudos for figuring out how Blizzard intended to make this workable.

elbow.jpg

Hand in, grasped controls, plate coming down...
elbow2.jpg

Plate going into locking position (there is a cage integral to the gauntlet)
elbow3.jpg

This is a pic from behind the suit - as the "shoulder" is being fitted on - that yellow part is where the shoulder attaches to, and that would basically be the elbow (human anatomy. If you stare long enough (doesn't it look too long to be a human arm?) -- you can deduce that Tychus' shoulder is under the exhaust, and the elbow is inside the yellow cage, and the hand (pics above) has a joint to make the "elbow" of the suit).

shoulder.jpg

Hope this helps make this thing awesome :) If you need more reference shots, i got these from the game Wings of Liberty - but you can go to youtube and search for Wings of Liberty opening cinematic (this whole thing is there in high def)

MWiggs- looking good! Hey if the snow gets bad in Salt Lake, you could always rent yourself out as a plow! LOL

I can't remember if you had mentioned this before- are you doing any sort of sound actuation for movements? There are a couple of links out there to things that people have done, for example in the Iron Man and some 40 K costumes, to make the THUMP THUMP sound as they walk.

MWiggs I found out after a bit of testing and reading that some PU glues froth up if not clamped tight between two surfaces. It can still be used as a backing on the inside to get a stiffer foam from a flimsy one, or it'll need quite a bit of sanding between each round. But I also read that there were some PU glues that didn't froth up while curing, so if you're going to try it, figure that out first :D

Anyhow, the project looks awesome as F. Whenever there's an update from you is like christmas (or perhaps halloween, 'cause of the season).

This is my favorite thread I follow at the moment. Totally agree with Khaylain about it being like x-mas every time there's an update. It's not just seeing the photos of your work, I also really look forward to reading your description of each new step you take.

Registered here just to chime in on this -- think what you are doing is amazing and you are helping me understand what it would take to do something like this (not ready to undertake but every bit of learning helps).

Also wanted to say - in your idea of how the suit fits together (shoulders straight, elbows for shoulders and wrists for elbows) -- i went back and looked at the opening cinematic for Wings of Liberty when Tychus is being fitted into his suit and that's exactly how they designed it. Here are some screenshots:

You can see the joint here, plus a "control" that lets him use the "fingers" on the "glove" -- the wrist area has a joint that only pivots right-left (effectively making this the elbow of the suit). Kudos for figuring out how Blizzard intended to make this workable.

Hand in, grasped controls, plate coming down...

Plate going into locking position (there is a cage integral to the gauntlet)

This is a pic from behind the suit - as the "shoulder" is being fitted on - that yellow part is where the shoulder attaches to, and that would basically be the elbow (human anatomy. If you stare long enough (doesn't it look too long to be a human arm?) -- you can deduce that Tychus' shoulder is under the exhaust, and the elbow is inside the yellow cage, and the hand (pics above) has a joint to make the "elbow" of the suit).

View attachment 539990

Hope this helps make this thing awesome :) If you need more reference shots, i got these from the game Wings of Liberty - but you can go to youtube and search for Wings of Liberty opening cinematic (this whole thing is there in high def)

Nice observation! I caught the hand setup but missed the shoulder/elbow part. Just made sense to me because even Tychus' shoulders arent wide enough to fit in the suit proportionally, but you're right! If you look closely the positioning looks much more like you say, shoulder under exhaust and elbow sticking out. Good catch! And i have to say, your mention of the yellow "cage" gave me a lightbulb moment! I think i know how I'm mounting the shoulders now! I'll give it a shot when I get a chance and let you know! Thanks!

@MWiggs- looking good! Hey if the snow gets bad in Salt Lake, you could always rent yourself out as a plow! LOL

I can't remember if you had mentioned this before- are you doing any sort of sound actuation for movements? There are a couple of links out there to things that people have done, for example in the Iron Man and some 40 K costumes, to make the THUMP THUMP sound as they walk.

As a matter of fact, I do have a speaker setup for sound, but right now all it's for is using a mic to pick up my voice when the hemet is closed, however, the PA I'm using also has an MP3 line-in port so I could play sound effects or music thru it too. Speaking of which, this just happens to be the next step I'm working on! I bought a simple belt-mounted voice amplifying speaker box with mic off of amazon for $19. It runs off a rechargable battery and has a volume control knob on the top. I cracked into the housing and spliced the power wire from the battery so I can attach my remote power switch. I'm using another snap lever switch on the other side of the torso in the normally open position so it powers the speaker on only when the visor is down. Now I just need to figure out where to mount the thing! I was thinking in the hood behind the helmet, but there's not a lot of space around the helmet, plus I worry about feedback with the mic that close to the speaker. I have lots of space available for mounting this thing but pretty much everywhere is solid foam so you wouldn't be able to hear it. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe a mesh cover of some sort that will finish and paint similar to the foam, or just inside the suit somewhere pointing down? Brain storming time!

20151014_063432.jpg 20151014_063716.jpg

I've also begun the shoulder mounts. I wanted a ball-joint type mount so the shoulders can have some movement, so I got another acrylic globe from 1000bulbs.com. Again, these guys are awesome! I chopped the globe in half and cut holes in the tops to match the arm holes in the torso, then dremeled an angle into the arm holes to better seat the dome. I used more weldwood to connect the two, then went over the seams with hot glue to double up the holding strength. These will be seeing lots of movement so they need to be robust. I'll probably add more foam trim around the edge just for good measure. Now I just have to build the structure for the shoulder bell inner support, but that comes next. :D

20151014_065200.jpg 20151014_064517.jpg 20151014_070257.jpg

This morning I had a helper! My son loves turning the lights on and off. He's such a goof! LOL

20151014_070434.jpg

Once again, thanks everyone for the kind words and support! more to come!

Last edited:

I bought a simple belt-mounted voice amplifying speaker box with mic off of amazon for $12.

If you could give a link to this, that would be great!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

If you watch the opening video again - you'll notice they have a "mounting cage" for pretty much everything - the "cages" attach around the body tightly (with bolts to hold them together) that the suit then gets bolted and clipped to (not welded, that's something else (/spoilers!)) -- You could apply that to pretty much everything on the suit. I'm really impressed watching that video in detail (and not just glossing it over) in that Blizzard is really detailed how they figured this suit would be worn (due to the video showing it being put on).

Wonder if we can get more insight into that...would make wearing one of these things easier :p

Not totally related, but speaking of the opening video, does he have no teeth in the X-Ray?

He seems to have a pretty broken skull.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

MWiggs - "Sounds" cool! (see what I did there? huh? huh?) :)~

Here are the links to what I've seen before - perhaps others have some different ones, or perhaps better? These are pertaining to 'Iron Man', but the intent is what is important. I'm sure the sounds could be swapped. As these are to be 'Assisted Motion Suits', I'm sure that sounds (hydraulics, electronics, nuclear, etc). would go a long way to making this a 'Killer' Suit! :) I think the vides make the sounds a bit tinny, as well as the amp/speaker setup that is being used. Hope this helps in some way!

Video 1: https://youtu.be/f3dHX6lOca0

Vido 2: https://youtu.be/5PPBHl61eWI

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back