How Pepakura measures a Model

FatMan

So I've always wondered how pepakura measures the 3D object. I could never tell if it was measuring from how the object is positioned from left to right on the default view (which I just assumed it did to be safe), or if it was measuring the actual side to side no matter what angle it was on.

pHX2vtz.png

So I decided to find out by exporting the file and using Blender to rotate it to be positioned vertically. Using the same scale the measurements actually changed.

GpyyC2E.png

Anyways, I just wanted to share this. It shows how important the angle and position of your files are when it comes to scaling them.

very informative indeed buddy :thumbsup sorry if you encountered some difficulties on that part :facepalm it works for me though so i leave it just the same with the original model, since i'm only basing my scale on the height of the piece

great job bud

very informative indeed buddy :thumbsup sorry if you encountered some difficulties on that part :facepalm it works for me though so i leave it just the same with the original model, since i'm only basing my scale on the height of the piece

great job bud

No problem man, I was just curious to find out how it pepakura does it. I actually feel dumb for not knowing.

It probably just uses the world space AABB for calculating the dimensions.

It's tricky to know what the "true" orientation of a model is because the transform might already be baked into the vertices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Non-uniform scale would be awesome. An option for independent x,y, or z coordinate scaling, that also kept the current unfold. Parts would have to be oriented correctly for that to work though, and anything with a unique symmetry (like the round shape of hip pods or screw holes/etc.) would get deformed. Robocop's arms and legs would be a nightmare lol...

I can't stand using point-to-point anymore, I end up scaling everything in 3DSmax or Blender on a digital mannequin instead.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back