"Not So" Amazing Houston Comic Con

chimichangaz

Went in costume to my first "major" convention this past weekend in Houston and was sorely disappointed. The venue was incredibly small, no lively atmosphere, and bland due to the lack of participants and staff not building up the magic of the of the day. I had planned on going all weekend, but under advisement of my wise wife, was asked to go one day and gauge the experience. Upon walking in we needed only to say, not show, that we had tickets and were allowed to proceed. Weapons check was much simpler than I had anticipated even though I was armed to the teeth as Deadpool. Overall the floor was small was easily walked in less than an hour. The rest of our time was spent taking pictures with those who asked to snap a shot with me and my beautiful other half. We will not be returning to this event in the future and was wondering if any of you knew of a good large comic convention in or around Houston where we can attend next year and make up for this disappointment. This was my birthday gift this year, and my wife feels terrible that we did not have a good time after all of the planning and working on the costumes. Please let me know if you know of any good conventions around here and hopefully I will get to meet fellow cosplayers there.

Not a comic convention but geared towards gamers and if you're willing to go to San Antonio for a weekend, PAX South is at the end of January. RTX which is held by Rooster Teeth, known for the Red vs Blue series, has their convention in Austin usually in the middle of summer. If you're into anime and willing to go to Dallas, A-Kon is the big one there and I believe it's the first weekend of June next year. As for conventions that are more of the comic genre, there's Wizard World in San Antonio as well. Not sure when that will be held next year.
Sorry, but I don't know much about conventions in Houston and although I haven't attended the ones I've mentioned, I do have friends that have attended them and they've always had a blast.

Not a comic convention but geared towards gamers and if you're willing to go to San Antonio for a weekend, PAX South is at the end of January. RTX which is held by Rooster Teeth, known for the Red vs Blue series, has their convention in Austin usually in the middle of summer. If you're into anime and willing to go to Dallas, A-Kon is the big one there and I believe it's the first weekend of June next year. As for conventions that are more of the comic genre, there's Wizard World in San Antonio as well. Not sure when that will be held next year.
Sorry, but I don't know much about conventions in Houston and although I haven't attended the ones I've mentioned, I do have friends that have attended them and they've always had a blast.

There's also the Alamo City Comic con. Pretty good talent booked, especially if you are an SOA fan.

http://alamocitycomiccon.com/celebrity-guests/

Wizard World Austin seems pretty decent. It's a two day show now instead of three. They have Peter Weller booked for photo ops/autographs.

Chimi,sorry to hear about the crappy convention,however your costumes are not lost on you.I assume you both had a blast crafting,so please chin up and start getting excited about a better convention than this one.I had a similar situation happen to me and so these conventions and their quality are always a gamble.You'll both have a great experience next time ! :thumbsup
Don't let it get you down...

Thank you all for the input, and rest assured this did not push me away from cosplay, but it did sting a bit. Yes I will be using the downtime between conventions to upgrade my costume, and my wife is already looking into a new costume for next year. I had heard quite a few mention comicpalooza and was told even at comic con that it was bigger and better. Trust me my chin is up, I am just looking for a good venue to strut my stuff (with a mask concealing my true identity of course).

Looking at Comicpalooza next year and maybe Alamo City the following year since they are so close in schedules. I will post pics of me in my costume this weekend so y'all can see what I have to work with. It is basic...but it has oh so much potential ;)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back