PropShop announces TFA Props!

I placed my orders in June and July and still received an email. ☹️[emoji30][emoji24][emoji26][emoji36]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

propshop_rebelscum.jpg

Gotta say, this was the shortest lived licensee holder as far as I know or at least in this avenue....seemed like they just popped up and now *poof*

So what's the rule on casting a defunct company's props? :rolleyes:popcorn

Just for the sake of the people who bought the props, I sure hope someone molds one. I almost bought the melted Vader, but there is no way I'd be comfortable dropping that kind of money just to risk it turning to dust a few years down the road. As an act of preservation, I hope someone molds and casts it in a stronger material before it's too late. Something to think about...

If only there was a guy who knew a thing or two about molding on these boards...

Im not even sure that 3d printed dust would hold up to the molding process honestly. Aside form being a near impossible shape to mold. MasterEdi did a miracle with his mold.

Just for the sake of the people who bought the props, I sure hope someone molds one. I almost bought the melted Vader, but there is no way I'd be comfortable dropping that kind of money just to risk it turning to dust a few years down the road. As an act of preservation, I hope someone molds and casts it in a stronger material before it's too late. Something to think about...

If only there was a guy who knew a thing or two about molding on these boards...

I'm no expert but that thing would need to be heavily "prepped" to be molded. I understand, for that piece, why they had to 3D print it

Im not even sure that 3d printed dust would hold up to the molding process honestly.
Probably not. It's a complex piece. Careful planning and demolding could save it from any unnecessary harm, though the material would worry me.
Aside form being a near impossible shape to mold.
Near impossible? Definitely not...

I'm no expert but that thing would need to be heavily "prepped" to be molded. I understand, for that piece, why they had to 3D print it
I understand WHY they 3D printed it, but the fact is, it (likely) won't last and the people who paid for them may want to have something a little more solid to fall back on. That's all the point of my post was.

Last edited:
I also wonder if any of the digital files walked out the door before it slammed shut... (note that I don't know anything about this, obviously, and don't even have a clue what sort of files we're dealing with here. Just saying, it's happened with physical props and molds before.)

Could a whole cottage industry spring forth out of the ashes of Prop Shop?

Least shocking news ever. There was no way they could stay in business charging those insane prices for 3D printed replica props. Don't want to ever wish ill on anyone, but in this case they got what they deserved.

This is a weird world we live in today. I recently turned 30, have a high paying job and sadly was not around as a collector (college, job hunting etc) in the MR days. Star Wars is bigger than ever and yet we can't get a business that can make an item on time (no multi year wait), have it be well priced ($500-800 for an item, not $2k+), and have it fairly accurate that I literally want to hand money over for. I'm actually sad to see propshop closed though I would have never bought anything from them but was hoping it marked a beginning to a variety of businesses again.

I understand WHY they 3D printed it, but the fact is, it (likely) won't last and the people who paid for them may want to have something a little more solid to fall back on. That's all the point of my post was.

And I completely agree. I'm pretty sure that there are other mediums for 3D prints which aren't nearly as fragile as to be destroyed by UV/Sun light that they could have used. Seems rather *****-backwards to produce a product of such high cost/collect-ability to just fall apart after a few years

About molding: If this PS Melted helmet is so light and thin like it looks it will be 90% destroyed when you mold it(with no backing from the inside).But you would have the mold after that and could make lots of copys...but the original would be destroyed.You need to sell 11 copys for 500$ and you have the money for the prop and the mold back.
But you need a really skilled moldmaker to copy this extreme detailed prop exactly.

But how much money is the Original worth in some years..because they only made a handfull of it.;)

cboath: Yes it is a lot more expensive to produce something here in the west.But 4500$ for a 3D printed Vaderhelmet?Never.
And if they really had this high costes,they should produce in china like all the others.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
With as much as people were commenting how the PropShop was going to ruin the prop community with their insane prices, basically making prop unattainable for the average fan; in a way we should be happy this venture failed. For the few people who received their props, congrats. You're golden. Provided those props last a LONG time, that melted Vader Helmet could be worth quite a bit in the near future if it doesn't become dust.

But I have to say how glad I am for authentic fan made Star Wars props. The fine folks at RS Prop Masters, CFO, the SL Vader Helmet, the TM Vader helmets, and even the fan sculpts like Troop Master and Mac and Bookface's Quasimodo run.

The most recent fan made product is the GS Vader Helmet - another shining example of how fan made does it better than any licensed maker when it comes to certain authentic props - most notably OT Vaders and OT TK's. The EFX Legend is pretty damn good - too bad it's no longer being made (same can be said for the TM helmets). So yay for the GS. :)

As long as these awesome talented fans keep making props for the SW collecting community, we have it good***. And we don't have to refi our homes to buy in. :D

***Please note to avoid the bad recasters, or crooks who fail to deliver. There really should be a pinned list on one (if not all) of these forums on who to avoid.

@cboath: Yes it is a lot more expensive to produce something here in the west.But 4500$ for a 3D printed Vaderhelmet?Never.
And if they really had this high costes,they should produce in china like all the others.;)

I was really only running numbers on the Ren saber. I forgot the obscene price of the Vader helmet. Efx's Legend was only 1000 and it's wearable and much cooler to display :) I saw the vido on the the PS Vader and i get why they did it the way the did, it was about the only way you could duplicate the thing nearly identically every time - and do it quickly.

I'm no mold expert, but i figure that has to be a multi part mold so it'll have lots of cleanup most likely before painting so they'd be spending more 'hands on' time with it than if it were printed/coated/painted. So, if you think it was pricey before, it would have been more hand they done it from a mold.

Yeah, there really was no figuring how they came up with prices really.

I mean, you can buy a real graflex for under a 1000. They wanted 1500 out the door for one. Nonsensical.

Generally speaking, to do mass production of these things, it's china/SE asia or substantially higher prices.

I can't see making replicas on the side as being the primary cause of going out of business. Didn't other folks at the studio get let go (not just the prop department)? It seems to me like it could be just a general mismanaging of the studio and not solely due to a side-venture. Sure, the replicas were priced out of the range of most collectors, but they were making this stuff from scratch, so it's not as if they invested in a bunch of materials and the demand was low and they got stuck with stuff they couldn't sell. Well, it seems like they might not have invested wisely in all of the 3d printing machinery, but that wasn't for just making prop replicas; it was for making film props period. Unless those wooden crates cost hundreds of dollars each (which I highly doubt), they shouldn't be stuck with a lot of expensive inventory they can't move. It just doesn't make sense to me that making Star Wars replicas on the side would bust the company.

With as much as people were commenting how the PropShop was going to ruin the prop community with their insane prices, basically making prop unattainable for the average fan; in a way we should be happy this venture failed. For the few people who received their props, congrats. You're golden. Provided those props last a LONG time, that melted Vader Helmet could be worth quite a bit in the near future if it doesn't become dust.

But I have to say how glad I am for authentic fan made Star Wars props. The fine folks at RS Prop Masters, CFO, the SL Vader Helmet, the TM Vader helmets, and even the fan sculpts like Troop Master and Mac and Bookface's Quasimodo run.

The most recent fan made product is the GS Vader Helmet - another shining example of how fan made does it better than any licensed maker when it comes to certain authentic props - most notably OT Vaders and OT TK's. The EFX Legend is pretty damn good - too bad it's no longer being made (same can be said for the TM helmets). So yay for the GS. :)

As long as these awesome talented fans keep making props for the SW collecting community, we have it good***. And we don't have to refi our homes to buy in. :D

***Please note to avoid the bad recasters, or crooks who fail to deliver. There really should be a pinned list on one (if not all) of these forums on who to avoid.
Unfortunately, aren't some of the Vader helmets you listed pretty difficult to get? I know some like the Quasimodo and efx are easily available, but it sounds like very few of us even have an opportunity to buy some of the others.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

For sure, some of the Vader helmets I listed are difficult to get. That's where the GS (allegedly) differs. Right now the AS-IS casting is offered to the prop collecting public - which is a first for this type of Vader casting.

If the GS works our right, CFO will be offering the GS as ANH, ESB and a ROTJ versions - (hopefully) as an open run. If this happens, it'll be an incredible opportunity for our community. Give CFO and his crew some time to work it out. :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back