War is the H-Word Futurama Gun Build DONE

Re: War is the H-Word Futurama Gun Build WIP

I finally got enough pieces together to get an idea of overall size shape and feel. I'm very happy with how it feels and the dimensions seem to work for me. The whole thing is just held together with masking tape but I could not resit putting it up to my shoulder and making laser sounds. I still have a lot of parts that still need to be made but I'm so happy with how its turning out I just had to post pictures of it.
View attachment 133177
View attachment 133178
View attachment 133179
View attachment 133180

Progress has been a lot slower than I like because I came down with a bad cold but this week I was able to get back in my garage so I figured I would post an update. With this positron shooter there are many pieces, about 42 to be exact and each one needs lots of sanding fitting and smoothing. The first two parts on the list this week were the two that make up the forward grip. When I got them together I really didn't like the groves in the grip near the top, they looked better in ACAD.
View attachment 134569
I decided that i would fill the groves with apoxie sculpt and blend the two parts together a little better. So far I like this better.
View attachment 134573
While that dried I mocked up the trigger group assembly and stock.
View attachment 134570
View attachment 134571
Before I can work any further on this part I will need to install the switch and spring on the trigger. It will be a few weeks before I can do that so I moved onto what I'm calling the crank housing. Nothing to exciting on this so far just got the two haves assembled and started to smooth them.
View attachment 134574
View attachment 134575
The barrel accents are also coming together .
View attachment 134576
The crank fitted and it spins freely.
View attachment 134577
Paint on the only two finished parts, this accounts for 5 of the 42 pieces.
View attachment 134572
There is a lot more work to go but it is getting exciting seeing these parts come together,

Bender's camera does look very cool, that might make a great project when this one is done.

In July I realized that i hadn't worked on my Positron Shooter since January so I figured it was time to get some work done on it. I started with what I call the crank housing/upper receiver. This part was a very fun part to assemble and sand smooth, it was eight individual pieces that have been epoxied together and sanded smooth. The fun came when I was all done smoothing it and i stepped away from my work bench for just a second and it rolled of and crashed to the floor. The funny part was that it didn't break on the seem where the parts joined it broke in 4 new places. Thankfully all I had to do to fix it was spend a few hours with bondo and epoxy to fill the gaps and re-sand it all. The lower with the trigger was thankfully less eventful and went together without incident.
positron shooter 15.jpg
positron shooter 16.jpg
The photo below is of the forward grip and by far is my favorite photo of this project thus far.
positron shooter 17.jpg
So far in August I have been able to permanently attach the buttstock to the upper receiver and I was able to get the lower receiver completely assembled and also attached to the upper receiver. I decided to attach everything now instead of after its painted so I could get all of the joints as tight as possible and also fill any gaps. When attaching the upper to the lower i was looking at how the front was connecting to the curves of the upper and to me it looked to flat and had no depth so I added some Apoxie Sculp to the connection point and now I am very happy with the extra depth that it gives the part.
positron shooter 18.jpg
positron shooter 19.jpg
I still have a lot of sanding to get this to a point where I think I can start painting it. Its nice to be at a point where you can actually hold it and can actually start to see the end insight.

2 years ago I was looking at making one of these and doing a group costume for DragonCon, but kind of let it slip away. I can't wait to see your completed one!!! Looks amazing so far!

I am only a few weeks out from starting to paint this bad boy and I was hoping that someone might be able to suggest some paint that might match the colors used in the show. For me it dose't matter if its rattle can or something that i need to airbrush i am just trying to get a list together so I can start getting the paints and make some test sprays. Any help that can be offered is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Positron shooter master.jpg

For my Holophonor, I used Testor's Model Master Lacquer system. Nice durable paint and comes in a bunch of bright colors. That purple in particular I know I've seen before. You'll need to do a lacquer clear to get it nice and glossy and there may be some wetsanding involved with the clear coat, but I was really happy with that paint.

Quick up date on the progress so far. From Volpin's advise I got some Testor's paints and started to test some color samples.
Paint test.jpg
I think the colors are fairly close to the cartoon and I am very happy with them. Thank you Volpin for the advise.
A few of the parts were ready for paint. Now its starting to look like something.
Positron parts 1.jpg
Positron parts 2.jpg
Progress on the main parts, i have a few more small imperfections that still need to be fixed but its come together.
Positron-shooter 20.jpg
Positron-shooter 21.jpg

Another quick update of the progress. So far all the parts are painted with exception of the main body, it still needs to have the darker blue painted on the top half. My hope is to paint that this week and then start to add the detail painting to the smaller parts and also start clear clear coating.
Positron-shooter 25.png

Positron-shooter 24.png

Positron-shooter 23.png

The upper portion has been painted the darker blue and the first few coats of clear have been applied. Right now I'm just waiting for the clear to cure and then it can be assembled.
Positron-shooter 26.png
Positron-shooter 27.png
Positron-shooter 28.png
OK waiting is not my thing so I carefully placed the crank assembly on just to get an idea of how it will look and I could not be happier with how it looks. now i just need to be patient and wait for the cure time and complete this project.
Positron-shooter 29.png

Loved seeing this come together. It looks great! Still planning on a sound mod? Looks like you kept the crank assembly accessible/removable just in case.

Loved seeing this come together. It looks great! Still planning on a sound mod? Looks like you kept the crank assembly accessible/removable just in case.

I might be adding the sound to it latter but right now i would like to move on to other projects. This thing has been in the works now for just shy of a year so I would love to just work on something new. I left the crank assembly and the the butt-plate removable so adding any electronics in the future should be somewhat easy.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back