Fantastic Four

I'm still feeling extremely underwhelmed by the kiddie casting. I don't feel any interest towards the actors and the characters they are supposed to portray.

Did I say Marvel Studios ....... no I didn't .
I was refiring to the Marvel Brand in general

It wouldn't be the first lousy film with the Marvel brand.
You're still wrong.

And your still a .............

I think you mean, "you're."

This exchange was more entertaining than the movie trailer being discussed. LOL

That BWAAAAAAA noise really needs to be retired for trailers, incidentally. It's entered eye-roll territory.

HAHA.... I think that's been in every new trailer in the last week. Definitely tired.

I'll admit this looks better than the teaser made it look. But the casting is just horrible on so many levels.

Was the last F4 movie really that bad? I still laugh at Chris Evans' line when Reed Richards show his stretch power... "That's gross".
It wasn't a great movie, but it wasn't horrible either.

Was the last F4 movie really that bad? I still laugh at Chris Evans' line when Reed Richards show his stretch power... "That's gross".
It wasn't a great movie, but it wasn't horrible either.

Yes, it was. Other than getting the look of Surfer down right. Everything else was just bad. Surfer's power source, Galactus as a giant cloud, everything Doom. The only thing I liked was this exchange:

General Hager: Let me make it clear for you and your band of freaks here; I'm the quarterback. You're on my team. Got it? but I guess you never played football in high school, did you, Richards?
Reed: No, you're right. I didn't. I stayed in and studied like a good little nerd. And fifteen years later, I'm one of the greatest minds of the 21st century; I'm engaged to the hottest girl on the planet; and the big jock who played quarterback in high school? He's standing in front of me asking for my help. And I say he's not gonna get a damn thing, unless he does exactly what I tell him, and starts treating me and my friends with a little respect.
General Hager: ...Give him what he wants.

As for this movie, I don't know. I just can't get behind the cast or the origin even though I know it's following the Ultimate line. I'm just an old school 616 universe FF kind of guy, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone in here is having a hard time accepting Marvel's greatest failures Daredevil, and Elektra...and...oh wait
Which were New Regency films distributed by Fox. DD also made money - $179 million worldwide more than double its budge and enough to get Elektra made. An R-Rated cut was also released that is generally considered to be a better film.

Roger Ebert even gave it 3 of 4 stars.

Which were New Regency films distributed by Fox. DD also made money - $179 million worldwide more than double its budge and enough to get Elektra made. An R-Rated cut was also released that is generally considered to be a better film.

The only cut I saw was the extended R version and I didn't think the film was that bad. Michael Clarke Duncan's physical stature was as menacing as the Kingpin I knew from the comics.

But the Netflix series is a whole different league. The film's weaknesses are so glaring since the series did it right.

dascoyne - I'm not commenting on the movie personally, just stating a few facts :)

(I don't get what people are seeing in the DD Netflix series - maybe I need to give it a better chance when I'm not falling asleep watching it - but, these are all comments best reserved for the DD thread).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm decidedly "meh" about this.

The cast seems reasonably charismatic. The story seems mildly engaging. It just doesn't seem like an FF film to me, except for the baseline powers of the characters.

I expect they'll reboot this in another 2 years or so.

this would probably be a decent movie if it was "random scifi movie nr xy", but nothing about this really says FF for me. its all just so generic. and i REEEEEEAAAAALLY hate that everything thats not marvel studios has to be dark and gritty. didnt work for superman, wont work here.

I know, what was Roger thinking, right?

The New FANTASTIC FOUR Movie Changes Mr. Fantastic’s Powers | Badass Digest
Possible explanation for those who were irked by that recent description.

And saw the following posts by Steve Lacey which were directed to Devin on Twitter.

"I see no difference between this and the Ultimate FF 'Reed has weird liquid sacs instead of internal organs' stuff."

"It's pseudo-science, and has been present in comics since Steve Rogers first took his magic pill in 1940!"

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back