Star Trek II Romulan Ale Bottle - NEW PICS - PAGE 1 & 4!

Re: Star Trek II Romulan Ale Bottle - NEW PICS - PAGE 1 & 3!

No worries, I'll take another crack at it. I want to get it right too. :thumbsup

I'm sure we'll come to a consensus and nail the design. It's pretty simple after all.

My main concern is that once it's done, how to go about getting them made in a way that won't cost a mint.

Probably a dead end but Is Reed Plastics still in Business in Rockville?

They might be able to do something.

No worries, I'll take another crack at it. I want to get it right too. :thumbsup

I'm sure we'll come to a consensus and nail the design. It's pretty simple after all.

My main concern is that once it's done, how to go about getting them made in a way that won't cost a mint.

OK, as promised, I took another look at this today and here's the rundown..

I went back to the larger diameter cylinder (3 1/4 "). The cylinder height is the same as the last version (6"). If my liquid volume calculations are correct, this should give you 800ml of storage inside.

I re-worked the upper section to include the following.

The uppermost ring was not small enough for pretty much everyone's tastes so I have made it smaller. (1 1/4"). The diameter of the hole in the tip of the bottle is almost 1 inch in diameter. In order to keep the outer dimension of the bottle the same at the bottom, I had to increase the diameter of the stepped portions slightly so they are now offset by 1/3" (they were 1/4" before). I think this is the closest yet to the screen used bottle so thanks for keeping me on task on that!

Finally, the stopper. The stopper I believe is the same diameter as the uppermost ring but when I made it the same thickness as the rest of the rings, it didn't really give the effect of being a stopper so I took a bit of creative license and made it doubly thick. I also backed the stopper out somewhat when I rendered it so people could see the effect but on the finished product, you'll be able to stick your stopper in however far you want it to go.

Here are the pics...LMK what you all think...

bottleassembledwtop325i.jpg

After looking at the screen caps, the only thing I might would change is the size of the hole at the bottom of the pyramid. Perhaps a bit wider. Not too much though.....I can't find anywhere else on it that I would change. A few questions though: What material would you use around the center of the bottle, where McCoy has a grip on it when he pours? The bottle clearly has something around it. Felt? Rubber? It would have to be removable and it would have to be soft as not to scratch the bottle......

Thoughts?

After looking at the screen caps, the only thing I might would change is the size of the hole at the bottom of the pyramid. Perhaps a bit wider. Not too much though.....

The hole is the same diameter all the way through the top and is determined by the diameter of the topmost ring inset with a 1/4" lip. So, it's 22.86mm or .9 Inches in diameter.

Making the hole larger at the bottom end can be done one of two ways. I could do a larger diameter hole through the bottom two layers or so in which case it would resemble the bottle shown here...

u32859thenextphase369b2.jpg

The other way to do it would be to have the hole draft outward from top to bottom at a specified angle. This would essentially make the "neck" of the bottle into a longer, conical shape like this...

This draft is exaggerated to show the effect.

bottletop325inchdraftwf.jpg

A few questions though: What material would you use around the center of the bottle, where McCoy has a grip on it when he pours? The bottle clearly has something around it. Felt? Rubber? It would have to be removable and it would have to be soft as not to scratch the bottle......

Thoughts?

I'm planning on having the bottle either cast or turned in acrylic whichever is cheaper....a word on that later.

One place I found that does acrylic casting ships their finished products in a velveteen bag to protect against scratches etc, but I think casting would be way too expensive. I think turning them on a CNC will be much cheaper but I'm just guessing. We haven't "quite" reached that stage yet ;)

As to wrapping something around it, I don't think I'd recommend felt or anything remotely slick. The polished acrylic will slide out of that thig like snot off a doorknob. Rubber might be a better way to go but I guess that part is up to you.

In looking at all of the screen caps, I can't tell if the bottle tube draft in the bottle that McCoy gives Kirk looks like the empty bottle shown in TNG....How do we know it wasn't like it? The only difference that I see is that in TNG the canister is frosted, I prefer clear like STII...With that bieng said...I would vote for the draft to look like the empty bottle from TNG...After all, how do we know it wasn't that way in STII? But if the Draft is as wide as the top pyramid spout straight down to the bottom pyramid. I would be happy with that as well. But i wouldn't think that it would cost any more to have them drill from the top down to where the 2nd pyramid stops, then drilling a slightly bigger hole from the bottom pyramid up to where the other hole stops. Since it would be done in those 2 parts anyway, then fused together........But, I am good either way. :)

Last edited:
In looking at all of the screen caps, I can't tell if the bottle tube draft in the bottle that McCoy gives Kirk looks like the empty bottle shown in TNG....How do we know it wasn't like it? The only difference that I see is that in TNG the canister is frosted, I prefer clear like STII...With that bieng said...I would vote for the draft to look like the empty bottle from TNG...After all, how do we know it wasn't that way in STII? But if the Draft is as wide as the top pyramid spout straight down to the bottom pyramid. I would be happy with that as well. But i wouldn't think that it would cost any more to have them drill from the top down to where the 2nd pyramid stops, then drilling a slightly bigger hole from the bottom pyramid up to where the other hole stops. Since it would be done in those 2 parts anyway, then fused together........But, I am good either way. :)

Looks straight to me. Though the more I look at this thing the more I see how uneven the original was. It's makin' me crazy!

bottleneck3.jpg

bottleneck2.jpg

bottleneckp.jpg

Last edited:
Could it be that the top "step" is actually a tube sticking down into the stepped section? That might account for it looking slightly off in the pics above and also the inner step in the TNG pic.

Just a thought.

EDIT:

Going back and looking at the TNG "pouring" pic it looks like a frosted bottle sticking out with the neck cut off (probably so it can slide up thru the acrylic tube). So maybe we're going about this the wrong way. Maybe it's an acrylic "thermos" containing a glass bottle. Make the bottom unscrew, slide in your bottle, and you're ready to go.

This could explain how it looks different in every shot. STII used a certain bottle, then the "thermos" was held over to TNG (because they re-used everything) and the TNG prop folks used whatever bottles they could get at the time.

Last edited:
Hey Macklin, It would seem to appear that there were 2 different kinds of bottles that were used. 1 where McCoy gives to Kirk, and the other in TNG...Although I wouldn't mind having both versions..We are doing the 1 McCoy gives Kirk.......

The purpose of this thread is to attempt to identify and make a replica of the famous bottle of Romulan Ale that Bones gives to Kirk on his 52nd birthday. Here are screencaps of the bottle in question.

romulanbottle2.jpg

romulanbottle1.jpg

romulanbottle3.jpg

EDIT - A few years later and this thread has been resurrected....with a little progress...

I've taken on the task of designing the bottle in SolidWorks. If there is sufficient interest, I plan to have this cast in clear acrylic.

Here are some pics of the current design. Watch this space for design updates.

looking at the stopper, it might be just a little shorter that what is drawn....Just a little though....What do you think?

My call on that is, that the hole is small that the liquid is pouring through thus keeping the liquid backed up. It is not a freepouring container, so it would take a while to empty. And based on the angle Bones is pouring it, it would still look full until a greater amount had been poured......

looking at the stopper, it might be just a little shorter that what is drawn....Just a little though....What do you think?

I can adjust it's size however much we want. I originally made the lid the same thickness as the rings of the bottle (3/8" or 9.525mm) but to me it didn't really look like a stopper so I took a bit of creative license and made it twice the thickness of the rings. I could very easily dial it back to say 1.5x the thickness. It would look something like this...

bottleassembledwthintop.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back