Bandai 1/144 AT-AT build (WIP)

Scarecrow Joe

Sr Member
This will be a bit slower than expected. Reason why, I started building it and tried this:

20170501_165019 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20170501_165042 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Thats a red LED behind the red colored lens. Its a bit big but I ordered some 3mm red LEDs. These will be powered by coin cell batteries with an output of 6v. I will use Magnetowire also. Space is limited and am contemplating how to light it with the least amount of cutting inside. Im also considering building all these three AT-ATs into a diorama. One of them would be down with two still standing walkers flanking it. What would have been a simple build is getting a tad complicated.

Im planning a diorama as well.
Gonna use some thin steel wire and wrap it around the AT AT legs and attach the mini Bandai snowspeeder to it. I think the steel wire will be enough to keep it suspended but ill have to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks really good, I'm thinking of lighting mine as well. I'm doing the same kind of diorama.I also got two of the AT-ST and snowspeeder kits to go with it as well.
Lynn

Ouch! The right one looks like it has a broken knee... :D

Just kidding! ;) They look awesome, even without the weathering! :thumbsup

These are looking really good!! People complain about the size, but they are perfect for a multi model diorama! I was at Hobby Lobby last night checking out stuff to make my diorama, I plan on getting the Woodlands scene scene base kit and the winter scene diorama kit for making mine.
Lynn

i really never see a good reason to put the batteries inside the model, and a switch or anything over it to turn it on/off... the best thing to be sure your models last long is not to manipulate them too much.
Also, since it's a diorama.. (i guess) everytime you want to turn all them on... you need to go one by one.

in my old mpc kit i put some female connectors on the front feet plant and male ones, batteries and a switch on the snowy floor,, i also protected it with an acrylic case... is the only way to keep it safe.

Last edited:
i really never see a good reason to put the batteries inside the model, and a switch or anything over it to turn it on/off... the best thing to be sure your models last long is not to manipulate them too much.
Also, since it's a diorama.. (i guess) everytime you want to turn all them on... you need to go one by one.

in my old mpc kit i put some female connectors on the front feet plant and male ones, batteries and a switch on the snowy floor,, i also protected it with an acrylic case... is the only way to keep it safe.

I also dont see why anyone would spend hours modeling the cockpit of a ship when it would hardly be seen anyway (like the TIE fighter)....but yet some just do it. Thanks for letting us all know what you did in your diorama though, but I prefer my method. Turning them on one by one will not take me hours or days, in fact I think it will be only seconds. Having them be lighted individually also has advantages specially when photographing them. But if you dont know much about photography (I guess) then you would have a hard time understanding it.

Im considering doing all three standing up walking. Almost emulating that first scene when the rebels finally have a look at what is slowly walking towards their position. Im trying to stay away from what almost everyone would be tempted to do with these guys, the falling down, legs twisted backwards, cable twisted around, etc...you get the picture! These are some pics testing the overall appearance of them. Of course they still need to be weathered.

20170512_222435 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20170512_222521 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20170512_222727 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

I definitely like all 3 standing, the first sight of them was a definitely one of the best scenes to me

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I agree about that scene! I remember seeing those for the first time in the theater.....chills!! Ive always been more of an Empire fan than a Rebel one....LOL!

Lights! One done. I will weather and finish this one before getting to the other two. Weathering is my favorite part of the whole process!

20170513_213232 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20170513_213258 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20170513_213325 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20170513_211107 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20170513_213519 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back