Newbie Dual Han in Carbonite Build

Oh yeah--a sneak peek of things to come. Here's what I'll be modifying to use for my D-Rings (flat washer things with raised edges and a D drilled in the center). It's a 2" magnet. I found it referenced as a "cup magnet." I'll be drilling the hole out to the right size, then using Bondo to get a flat side on the hole. I plan on doing that this weekend and stealing yet a third ceramic dish . . . I think the magnet is just a touch big, but it's pretty close:

D-Ring -- Magnet.jpg

Last edited:
Minor progress since last time. First off, my brass screws came in, so I added those to my 2nd panel knobs:

Knobs - Brass Screws.jpg

I like the finished look the screws add to the knobs. However, after taking the photos of the level finders with knobs I realized that they didn't come out quite as well as I'd hoped. I could see a fair amount of the sanding work from the original level finder and areas where they just didn't come out perfect. I thought about working from one of the casts to create a better piece, then mold the new piece. However, I wanted to try something first. As QCWolf says, "If you can't hide it, feature it!" So, I decided to weather them and see how that looked. One done:

Level Finders - Weathering.jpg

Now two:

Level Finders - Weathered.jpg

Though not screen accurate, I thought this looked pretty good and will add an interesting contrast to the panel paint. I decided to proceed. I cut two pieces of clear plexiglass I had to fit underneath the level finders, then added my dot decal to them. The dots are much more widely placed than in the original prop, but it wasn't enough for me to stop progress (I do have to finish these after all). Plus, I figure the level finder is diverging quite a bit anyway, and if I decide to change level finders in the future I can fix this divergence as well.

Level Finders - Dot Screen.jpg

After that, I added the knobs.

Level Finders - Knobs in Place.jpg

Next, I had to figure out how I wanted to mount the LEDs. It looks like the original opening is painted the same color as the rest of the panel (as opposed to the other openings which appear to have the metal finish). It looks like the area under the level finder is painted black, with the plexiglass sitting flush on top of the panel and a recess below where the electronics are mounted. Here's a photo posted at http://www.rebelscum.com/gallery/carbonite-mib-photos/image10.asp:

2nd hero panel.jpg

I really didn't want to have to build a recessed box to house the electronics, particularly given that the Fettronics LEDs are on a board and are very clean. Unfortunately, the LEDs are too tall to just flush mount up top with the level finder above it. The solution I came up with was to cut notches for the LEDs to come in from the back--just the LEDs. I can adjust the height coming through to allow for correct mounting of the level finders (very close to just being able to flush mount from the back), and have a pretty clean package without the additional step of creating a recessed box. I plan to ultimately spray that portion of the panel with flat black paint (even though the panels are already black, the finish is pretty uneven), then tape it off before hitting the remainder in brilliant metallic finish. Here are the cuts:

Hero Panel 2 - Light Cuts.jpg

And here is a mock up of how this is going to look:

Hero Panel 2 - Lights and Level Finder in Place.jpg

Also, I did get all jillion of the U-s bent for the metal clips. I'll have to use the snips to even up the legs on each piece, but overall they came out pretty good.

Bucket-O-Clips.jpg

And, I was able to drill out the magnets and remove the actual magnet from the metal housings--which will be the basis for my D-rings:

D-Rings.jpg

As you can see, the next step is just going to be to clean these up and add a flat side with Bondo. After that I can mold and cast them.

Slowly but surely . . .

Alright, it's been awhile since I posted an update. I've been pretty swamped at work, so my nights have been spent on that rather than furthering Han. But, I've managed to make some progress. Here's the biggest progression:

D-Rings:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my idea for the D-Rings (washers with a raised lip on the outside and a D-shaped opening in the center) was to modify a 2" magnet cup. This is one of your standard-type magnets you can pick up anywhere and are advertised to be able to pick up 35 pounds with its genitals, or something like that. Maybe I heard it wrong. Anywho, I drilled out the little hole in the center to a size that looked about right versus the photos. I used a cheapo titanium-coated step bit off of Amazon (I didn't have big enough bits otherwise). I left the magnet inside it while drilling, which helped to keep the metal dust/residue from falling all over the floor. I did two to help speed along the casting process, as I knew I needed 12. After drilling the holes I used a screwdriver to pry out the magnets. Despite the cups being metal, I'm pretty sure I applied less than 30 pounds of force to separate the parts . . .

To add the flat edge to the opening, I decided to use a little Bondo. I started off by taping a bit of wax paper to the back of the opening to work as a back-stop for the Bondo (while also trying to prevent the Bondo from sticking to anything other than the magnet cup). Here's what they looked like at this stage:

D-Rings -- Ready for Bondo.jpg

And now with the Bondo applied:

D-Rings -- With Bondo 2.jpg

Then, I put each in the bottom of a disposable coffee cup, mixed up some of the Oomoo rubber mold mix, and let it cure. A few hours later I was able to cast my first D-Ring. A day later and I had cast all of them. Here they are (minimal clean-up at this point--I need to do a little more sanding before painting):

D-Rings -- Cast.jpg

I am actually pretty proud of how these are looking. They look quite close to the originals in my opinion, and given the amount of scheming that went into figuring out how to duplicate those pieces, this feels like a real accomplishment. As a side note, when pouring these I really couldn't get the proper mix right--I kept mixing too much! No matter how little material I felt like it would take, I was constantly surprised by the amount of left-over mix. As a result, I poured the excess into my other molds and now have a ton of additional T-Pieces, tall knobs, and flat knobs. I also have a couple botched level finders. If anyone is interested, shoot me a pm.

I also have been working on the 2nd side panels to get them ready for paint. Unfortunately I've found my side panels to be of extremely poor quality. I'm sure the eBay seller would tell me they are a "kit" and need work to be finished as stated in the listing. But, the reality is some of these are very thin cast or have areas where a crude Bondo job was performed to get it "close enough." I've had to fix tons of issues, and am not looking forward to getting the remaining 12 ready for paint. Those 12 will not require any cutting or other prep unique to the build, but they will require tons and tons of Bondo, sanding, Dremel work, etc.

A quick tip to those, who like me, have a 1 speed Dremel and wonder why everyone else seems to have much more success: GET A VARIABLE SPEED DREMEL!!! I picked up a Harbor Freight version for $20 a couple weeks ago, and am now upset that I didn't realize this was the problem sooner! I could have cleaned up the triangle pieces on my hero panels, and could have finished out a few other areas much better. It will also make clean-up on the poor side panel casts a lot easier.

Other Goodies:

During the times that I am not working on Han, I often find myself thinking about how to improve upon the build. My buddy wants to see how a few of these extras turn out before he wants to add them to his--so unless that happens this is a personal out-of-pocket addition to mine. But, I think he'll eventually come to the dark side and want to add all of them. The first thing is a red LED light strip around the back of the box. This has been done by a number of people, so no need to go into that in detail. The next item is to add audio. I've been debating what exactly to have going--the freeze scene, the thaw scene, just special effects sounds, all of Boba Fett's lines from the various movies (my buddy's idea), etc. I've also been working to figure out where to put the controls. I plan to have this built into one of the existing greeblies so as to minimize the effect on the overall look. How do I plan to do this? Simple really. iPod Nano 2nd generation. Unlike the cheapo MP3 players you can get on Amazon (I know this bit because I purchased one and ran into this issue--just one of the many expenses I've had that even if my buddy pays for the extras I'll be taking on personally so as to not hit him for the mistake), it will allow you to have it plugged in while simultaneously playing music. I want this to be a semi-permanent attachment, and I don't want it to have to run off of battery and then require recharging. Sounds too expensive, right? Well, they're about $15 on eBay. Not the hit I was expecting either. I purchased a USB charging hub to mount inside the box, which will power 1) the hero panel, 2) the USB LED strip, 3) the iPod, and 4) a set of USB powered speakers (Amazon basics). Right now this setup is looking promising, but I'm still modifying the 2nd hero panels to incorporate the controls (spoiler alert, I plan to use a PVC flange that has a 1/2" pipe on the end that will look like the other pvc rings when it's all painted, which flange will be inserted through the bottom of the panel before attaching the iPod and will make direct contact with the control wheel--no scrolling or screen visibility, but I'll be able to go back, forward, play, pause, etc. and will just leave it in a single playlist). I'll get more into the details of that later and will have pictures.

Last edited:
Onwards and upwards. I described a bit in my last post about how I planned to operate the iPod through an existing greeblie. I found a PVC piece with a flange on it in 1/2” sizing. It wasn’t in the plumbing section, but in the electrical section at Home Depot for use with grey PVC conduit. I think the pieces were like $.50 apiece. The flange fits nicely inside the opening of my metal iPod case to operate the wheel controls of the iPod, and when protruded from the rear of the panel, looks like any other 1/2” PVC ring greeblie. Here you can see three of them after paint (along with the greeblie that goes inside the bronze ring in the 2nd rectangular opening from the left of the panel). Also, I’ve included a shot identifying those little knob greeblies that I used (screw protectors).
Greeblies Painted.jpgKnobs.jpg
Also, here is a picture of the 3/4” PVC pipe ring that I cut for the bronze greeblie, along with the screw protector prior to paint:
Ring Test Fit.jpg
The first real problem I had was figuring out how to fit the iPod in the panels. I wanted it to be in the 2nd panel, as the 3rd panel seems like it’s too low and I wanted to keep the controls all on the right side (Han’s left side). Really the best area would have been the second opening from the left and making it operate with the bronze ring. However, I wanted to put the iPod in the 1st opening from the left, as the greeblie is simply a ring, and I could in theory keep the center open to press the select button on the iPod. I wanted to be able to swap out iPods from time to time if everneeded and didn’t want to ruin the iPod by adding glue. I figured out a way to make an iPod fit, but it required moving the ring greeblie a bit from the original position. It seemed worth it, so I moved onto the cut. Well, I used one of the flat wood hole saws rather than a ring-type hole saw. What I didn’t count on was the lack of uniformity in thickness of the panel. So,what happened? Everything went very smoothly until I broke through on one side of the hole. Then, the bit snagged and ripped a less than circular chunk out of one side. I thought, “Ahh, that’s bad luck--I’ll just slow down and be more careful on the 2nd one.” Did it work? No, no it did not.

I had to spend some time with Bondo reworking those areas (helpful hint, if you run into this, tape one of the flanged pieces in place from the back, add Bondo to the opening, then when it mostly sets, go ahead and twist to pull that piece out--you’ll be left with a circular opening you just have to clean up). After what seemed like a year (I’ve been working on this in 10-15 minute intervals at night), I was finally “ready enough” for paint. You can really get carried away with trying to smooth everything out perfectly--and again, I do have to finish these soon. A word of caution to those looking at eBay casts of panels: BEWARE!!! I thought the fiberglass casts would be super durable, but I think to meet my cost concerns I received 2nds (or maybe it was their 1sts?--even more concerning). Some of the panels are very thin in places, and I’m constantly finding that pieces have broken off. I actually got one of the panels fully painted, and then in handling it a portion broke off. These have been very disappointing, and have required a lot more work than anticipated. The good thing is, after the 2nd hero panels I can pretty much just fly through though. Let’s be honest, the fine people at the prop studio went a bit on autopilot for the remainder of the panels. Consequently, I don’t think Ihave to be too critical regarding the finish of the remaining casts prior to paint. Alright, more pictures. Primer:
Panels Primered.jpg
Paint:
Panels Painted.jpg

I also painted enough of the button rings (the nipple pieces) to do the 2nd panels, and hand-painted the two 3/4” pipe rings bronze (I used an acrylic hobby paint to save money on buying a spray paint just for these two pieces--they turned out okay, but I’d probably do spray paint if I did it again).
Greeblies Painted 2.jpg
Next I went ahead and caulked the metal iPod case in place (it’s a Belkin model--all aluminum that I picked up for a few bucks on eBay). Here’s where things started to go wrong, though I didn’t see it until later. I used wax paper of the iPod and placed it into the case to make sure I didn’t get excess caulk spilling through. I just mounded up the caulk and used one of the three flanged pieces as the sacrificial piece to make it turn out right (like I did when Bondoing the holes). I pushed the flanged piece through just enough to have some room to operate the iPod while not constantly pushing the buttons accidentally. All went well. I rejoiced. I started to add some of the decals and mocked up some of the greeblies.
Glue Attempt.jpgGold Ring.jpgGold Ring with knob.jpgTest Fit.jpgMock-Up.jpg
Celebration. Excitement. Then, CRRAAAAAPPPPP!!!! How do I plug in theiPod?! Sure, it fits all nice and snug, but how do I charge it/run music? There’s no space for plugs!!! I blamed my wife. She didn’t take ownership of the failure. I was disappointed in her reaction. Okay, she had nothing to do with it, but still. She should have owned it. Instead she just made fun of me. Where am I at now? Tearing apart an iPod connector and a 3.5mm jack adapter to make angled connectors small enough to fit in the space after a bit of grinding where necessary. It’s actually looking pretty promising, but I want to Smoothcast over the wires so that there’s something sturdy holding them in the bent position without overly stressing the wires themselves. More to come . . .

Greeblies Painted.jpg

Knobs.jpg

Test Fit.jpg

Panels Primered.jpg

Panels Painted.jpg

Greeblies Painted 2.jpg

Glue Attempt.jpg

Gold Ring.jpg

Ring Test Fit.jpg

Gold Ring with knob.jpg

Mock-Up.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
2nd Panels Nearly Done--With Audio!

Substantial progress occurred this weekend. As I mentioned previously, I ran into a show stopper when I realized there was not enough room in the panel to plug in the iPod. I ended up taking apart an iPod charger and a 3.5mm audio plug in order to try to put together cables that would work in the space requirements. Below is a picture of what I did with the iPod cable (thankfully these were only like $1.99, so experimenting wasn't a huge deal). The plastic around the plug could be crunched with pliers and removed, exposing the wires inside. To add some support I covered the metal end with tape, pushed it into some modeling clay, and poured Smoothcast over the top to create a very tightly angled plug.

iPod Plug.jpg

I ended up pulling the iPod case out of the panel because the caulk I had used was latex rather than silicone. This actually makes a pretty big difference in terms of its strength and ability to dry and not be super flexible. After I had my plugs in order I tried to re-glue with silicone sealant; however, when I was working with the plugs I was measuring from above the iPod case rather than at it--the result was it still didn't quite fit, and it realistically wasn't possible to make it work with the iPod oriented as originally placed. I ended up having to cut new holes for the control greeblies and Bondo over the old holes. This allowed me to re-orient the iPod. Here it is, attempt 1k, with the panel touched up with primer and using clear silicone sealant (with my fancy homemade plugs).

iPod Glue.jpg

After that, I wanted to glue on the level finders. The photos I've seen show that the material under the dot screen of the level finders is a dark grey or black color. Rather than paint this piece, I used black duct tape. It gave the underneath some additional texture and I liked the look. Here's one side in place, the other in progress:

Duct Tape.jpg

And now both:

Duct Tape In Action.jpg

I got to work cutting the aluminum car vinyl to fit the openings. I haven't taken the time to get a really good picture of this yet. What you're not able to appreciate from the photos is that the color of the aluminum vinyl changes with the direction of the light. When the light hits it right, it's a very light color with a sort of metallic glow, but when the light doesn't hit it right it looks like it's about the same color as the panel paint. I added my pre-printed alien-writing decals, glued on my plastic greeblies (note: I used a razor to cut a sliver of the aluminum decal out of the way so that I could get direct contact between the panel and greeblies). I then added the yellow LEDs from underneath the level finders, secured them into position, and then popped in the audio control greeblie and iPod, plugged it all up, and smiled at the semi-finished product:

Second Panels--Mostly Complete.jpg

By pressing on the control greeblie I can move through my playlist to play various audio clips. I shot a video for my buddy to see, and as expected he decided he wanted to do it to his too. Good thing I worked on both panels simultaneously or else I'd be backtracking quite a bit! I ordered the additional bits last night and should receive them this week. One little issue I'm having with the Samsonite case is that the latch is insufficient to stay shut when pressing on the control greeblie. When mounting on Han I plan to have a wood block behind that section of the panel in order to provide secure resistance. The only thing left on the 2nd panels (other than getting audio on the other one) is to add the metal greeblies and to add the dot decals.

Great..... now I want to completely redo mine!! LOL!

Thanks, I'm just looking forward to being done with the panels! They're very tedious and time consuming. As I told my friend, once I'm building the box an hour or two makes a pretty appreciable difference. By contrast, if you spend an hour or two on the panels it looks like you must have spent most of the time petting the neighbor's cat.

Alright, after quite the break, I'm starting to get back at it. Since my last post my son was born and life has been complete chaos since! That said, I need to finally get these knocked out. At this point I need to see some progress fairly quickly to get myself back engaged (panel work is ultimately rewarding, but it is very tedious and time consuming). So, I decided to get started on the wood work.

Body on Frame Construction

I made some decisions regarding the box size (deviating in certain respects from the "official" specs/blueprints I found in Google as being posted in a few different forums). For the sake of completeness, below is what I used to develop "base" measurements. Whoever the owner is, just let me know if you want me to pull this image down.

Official Box Specs.jpeg
I decided that I'd go with the flat sides rather than the angled. There seems to be a bit of debate around this, and whether it was one way vs. the other in ESB and ROTJ. Ultimately though, I didn't want to go through the headache of trying to make sure I cut all the angles right to get the effect of a minimal angle that may or may not be accurate. So, I spent some time scribbling out "new" measurements since the blueprints above are for an angled unit and give measurements to the start of the arch of the rounded edge, etc. I also approached it with a bit more of an "American" perspective on the measurements (i.e. if it was 2 9/16 inches, this became 2 1/2 inches . . . ). Ultimately I decided my box would be 6.5 feet tall, 2.5 feet wide, and 9 inches deep. I also decided that I wanted my box to have more of a body on frame construction (i.e. MDF being the body panels rather than constituting the core structure and being supported by strategically placed 2xs). I decided to go with a 2x2 frame, with double 2x4 supports for the mounting bracket on the rear. I figured out what all I needed to get at Home Depot, how I needed to have the large pieces cut to fit in my vehicle, and set out. Shown here, Han's wood:

Wood.jpg

I can post the measurements of Han's wood (you have to account for thickness of 2xs and thickness of the MDF in order to figure out your frame size that will get you to the ultimate measurements--which is a bit of a pain) if anyone wants it. However, it comes out to basically 4 cuts of wood. Here's what they look like when they're cut:

Pieces.jpg

The steps are then to basically create the top rectangle, the bottom rectangle, and then attach them using upright supports. I glopped on wood glue between each joint (which dries harder than the wood itself), and shot in 2 1/2 inch finish nails to hold them in place while the glue dries. I plan to go back and add a few 3 inch screws to further support a few areas. Here's the top rectangle fully assembled:

Step 1.jpg

Here's me adding the uprights to the bottom rectangle:

Uprights.jpg

Here's the bottom rectangle, fully assembled with the uprights:

Bottom.jpg

And here are the top and bottom rectangles being assembled:

Joined.jpg

Last but not least, here are the two frames:

Results.jpg

I then weighted them down using tires to help keep them straight overnight while the glue dried.

Weights.jpg

One thing I will say is that 2x2s are terrible. I don't think there was a straight board in the entirety of the store. I've seen dog legs that were straighter than these things. I ended up buying a few batches that were still bound together, so they weren't allowed to go crazy yet. There's definitely a lot of twisting/bending in order to get them in shape. But, this was all but eliminated once the final structure was together. And, once the MDF is applied the last of any issues should disappear with the added rigidity.

That's all for now . . .

Frame Woes:

Well it has been awhile since I last posted, but alas, I have been moving forward (though admittedly at a slower pace than I’d hoped). After I got the frames put together I felt like I was really getting somewhere. But, as it turns out, those 2x2s were just itching to warp. I had tires and other things on top of the frames to keep that from happening, but all that managed to do was encourage the warping to redirect itself outward. Basically, it stopped being a rectangle and became a rhombus! Ultimately, I picked up some metal L brackets from Home Depot, beat the wood back square, and screwed and glued everything in place. That took care of 95% of the problem, but it still wasn’t perfect. Luckily, I had left myself a little wiggle room when attaching the MDF (i.e. I was able to get the edges flush on the MDF and there was enough play between the MDF box and the frame that it all worked out). Here we are, a nice angular box:

IMG_0406.JPGIMG_0408.JPG

Box Progress and Woes:

Plywood

If you’re wondering why my plywood is sandwiched below my “frame” on top of the box, it’s because I forgot about the fact that I designed the plywood and MDF to mount at the same height--which would essentially take my half inch gap between the plywood and the top of the MDF and make it more like a quarter inch gap to fill with glue when I do the carbonite pour. After I put it all together I realized the oversight, but at this point I’m just going to use more carbonite. I actually like the look when the frame is not flush with the carbonite, so this really isn’t such a bad thing. If you’re wondering why I have wood and metal sawdust on the edges of my plywood, it’s because I didn’t want to run a board down the length of the seam between the frame and the plywood and wanted to avoid potential movement when I’m trying to later pour the carbonite, as well as to avoid seepage of carbonite. I ran a bead of wood glue down the edge and covered it with sawdust/metal shavings, which creates a nice, strong seam.

Routing

At this point I was able to try out my new Harbor Freight cheapo router. I’d never used one before, so I’d been both looking forward to and dreading this moment. There were a bunch of attachments that I was trying to figure out, but it turned out I really didn’t need any of it. I just had to put on my bit, set the depth, and let it rip. That said, if you’re a schmuck like me and like to buy tools for projects and learn on the fly, let me save you a little trouble. What I used here is called a roundover bit. A 3/8 bit is as big as would fit in the Harbor Freight tool, so don’t worry about buying a set or anything bigger. As far as setting up, you basically have a guard on the bottom of the unit that goes up and down, which lets you set the depth of the bit versus the wood surface. With a roundover bit you’re trying to be flush with the top and with the side of the wood. Once you get the depth figured out you’re done--why? Because the bit itself has a bearing on it that will not let you cut into the wood on the side. You’re basically on rollers at that point and can rip through it and grunt like Tim the Tool Man Taylor before you realize you spent way more time trying to read the terrible instructions than you did rounding the entire flipping box! Here’s what you end up with:

IMG_0433.JPGIMG_0434.JPG

I should mention at this point that if, like me, you have some reason why the edges aren’t 100% flush (i.e. you let one side go a hair over the other), that’s going to result in not having a perfectly rounded edge. It’s not a big deal--you just have to sand everything flush before you hit it with the router. Then you’re all set. Or, you could cut all of your MDF on 45 degree angles such that the only uneven point is at the tip--which gets rounded off by the bit. Certainly something to think about if you haven’t already cut your MDF . . .

Panel Recesses

Let me just start off by saying do this before you attach the panels to the frame. Can you do it how I did it? Of course. Is it as easy? No. I did it this way because I had some concern about the warp-prone 2x2s compromising the MDF since with all the holes I thought it would be pretty flimsy. I wanted to get everything in place, glue everything together (including the top plywood), etc., before I started lightening the MDF. But, I didn’t think about the fact that certain areas of the recesses basically extend past the frame behind it. In other words, I had to try to avoid cutting the frame while cutting out the panels--which also meant I had less flexibility in cutting tools. So far I have one side done and am fine-tuning the shape with a sanding disc on my angle grinder. With the less than optimal casts of my panels (discussed earlier in the thread), I may end up having fitment issues later on and am trying to head that off before I get paint on the box.

IMG_0443.JPGIMG_0446.JPG

Bottom Cavities and Further Steps

The next step (after getting the other panels cut out and further shaped), is to put in the cavities in the bottom of the box. It looks like most people do the top and the bottom; however, I’m having a hard time finding anything showing those cavities on top. It also seems more natural to just be on the bottom, and given that this will be on a wall, I don’t think anybody will see the top anyway. As such I’m only doing the bottom. I recall reading somewhere that somebody used some sort of bowl/serving dish on their build at one point, but I don’t recall where it was or a lot of detail. In any event, I did some research on what might work well (in lieu of the molded cavities being sold on this site--which was beyond my budget), and came across something called a “steam table pan”--which may be what the other poster was talking about. Think Panda Express--those rectangular metal pans that hold the food on display and have a nice lip to keep them from falling down into the hot water below. Look for 1/3 size and 1/6 size pans. 1/3 is about 12 5/8 inches x 7 inches. The 1/6 is about 6.4 inches x 7 inches. This is pretty close to perfect, and I think I spent around $20 on Amazon for all 3 pans. You can get them in different depths. I went with 4 inches, but you can also get them in 3 inch and 2.5 inch depths (or you can go deeper if you want). I also went with the “anti-jam” pans, which essentially have a ring in the inside that spaces them apart if they are stacked. I think it will create a cool effect and will make it look a little more authentic than being completely smooth. I’m planning to route an inset in the MDF for the pans to sit into--which I will be doing with a 3/8 inch rabbit bit (which reminds me, time to order one . . . ).

While I have Han face down, I’m also going to go ahead and mount the USB power source which will run all of the electronics, the TV wall hanger, and the LED lights I picked up to emit a glow behind the box when hung. After that, I’ll be screwing down the body pieces and playing with Bondo, glue, and wall texture. Fun awaits . . .

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0433.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time I see someone building this, I think to myself "one day..." and then I'm immediately slapped in the face with the reality of having ABSOLUTELY nowhere to put it. Ugh. I need a bigger place.

Update Long Overdue

It’s been awhile, and a lot has happened. It’s time for an update . . .

Bottom Cavities/Recesses:

So I left off last talking a bit about my plan for the bottom cavities/recesses, and how I planned to use steam table pans and route a recess into the bottom for each pan. I had planned on purchasing a rabbeting bit for this purpose, but instead thought to myself “What if I just lower the roundover bit to create a recess? That way I don’t have to buy another bit!” Ultimately that’s what I did, but I don’t think it’s as clean of a method. One thing I learned here is that a bit will chew right through MDF when you’re working on the inside of the material. To clarify what I mean, if you’re not careful in the corners of the recess, you’ll easily go right through the corner and really muck things up. Here’s a photo of the pans in place where you can still see the awesome routing job:

IMG_0917.JPG

The way I ultimately attached the pans was with a series of screws on the underside, and then I decided to glop 100% silicone on the inside to really hold them in place (I mean come on, my sink is held onto the underside of my counter with this—it should work pretty well for this application). I know a lot of people use spray foam insulation to add a little structure here, but I like the idea of additional strength of the silicone product.

IMG_0924.JPG

As a side note, you might spot a few additional uprights in the frame. As I was cutting out the panel recesses and the steam pan holes, I was ultimately cutting into certain uprights or was otherwise hitting part of the frame. I went ahead and added uprights in between each panel and in between the pans just for giggles. Better safe than sorry . . .

Panel Recesses and Mechanicals:

While the box was turned over I decided it was a good time to get the panel recesses plugged and some of the wiring out of the way. The photos above show the panel recesses already filled. However, this ended up being a challenge. Because I didn’t cut the recesses out of the sides before attaching them to the frame (note for next HIC), I ended up cutting into the 2x frame in certain places, which meant that there wasn’t a straight edge on the top or bottom of the panel hole (or a lip on the top or bottom). What does that mean? I couldn’t just shove a piece of wood back there and fully cover the hole. I ended up having to use spray foam to fill some gaps, then went back over it with paintable caulk to even things out. The end product looks fine, but this was a time suck that I didn’t need.

As far as the wiring, I went ahead and drilled a hole in the backing wood for the 2nd panel recess so that I could fish my wires through. For the hero panel I essentially just created a rim around the opening, as the electronics and light box protruded too far to really put anything substantial behind the panel. I then created an electronics “shelf” by adding another support brace a little off of the edge of the inside of the box, which allowed for a little additional support for the computer speakers and USB power supply mount I was adding. I screwed those in place, and also went ahead and added the TV mount brackets. Finally, I was ready to turn the box over and move forward:

IMG_0953.JPG

Attaching Han:

So, I flipped the box over, and BAM! The Han cast sat perfectly and life was grand:

IMG_0966.JPG

Actually, no. He looked like he was floating. Now, is this due to me “eyeballing it” a little too often on the box, or is this due to a crappy Han cast? Either way, I had to figure out how to secure him properly and possibly do a little damage control. I ultimately used wood screws all around the lip of the cast, doing my best to delicately position him into place. Then, I realized that there were bubbles of fiberglass on the back of the cast that were causing excess warpage. So, out came the angle grinder and away went the bubbles. I was able to get him “about flat” with some careful screw work, then said to myself, “Why not use some of that amazing silicone goop here too to make sure that nothing pops up unexpectedly and that it’s held on as well as my sink?! Genius!” I then put down a little preliminary carbonite (more on that below) to get a sense for how this was going to turn out. Genius. I went to bed thinking I was the man:

IMG_0989.JPG

Well, that was until I read that paint doesn’t stick to silicone. At all. Umm, this was unfortunately after I’d used the silicone to goop up all the gaps, and also to fill a few cracks/voids created by the delicate stretching of the cast to make it sit flat. Then, I let it sit overnight. Luckily there’s a primer product out there that’s supposed to stick to the silicone. It’s called “BIN” and is made by Zinsser. I promptly ordered a bunch of that on Amazon and brushed it over all the areas where I used the silicone. It took a few passes, but I ultimately got some coverage. With the buildup of carbonite that has to happen all around the edges of the cast this may not have been an issue. However, I was paranoid. Here he is with a light coating of BIN over the silicone:

IMG_1003.JPG

Carbonite:

There seem to be quite a few methods out there for the best way to create the carbonite look. A popular one seems to be to shell out for Bondo as the primary filler, and the people that have done that seem to be much happier than the ones that started out pouring layers of Elmer’s Glue (which isn’t cheap by the way when you’re buying multiple gallons). I decided that a 45 pound bucket of Wal-Mart branded nice, professional grade drywall joint compound that I picked up for less than $15 would either allow me to do the trick, or at least provide the initial filler base that I needed. Joint compound generally has the same texture as Bondo and has a longer working time. The only downside is that it shrinks/cracks as it dries out whereas the Bondo doesn’t really change. When you’re really glopping it on, the cracks are all that much bigger. I figured I’d pour a layer of glue over the cracked drywall layer to fill in the voids and maybe get some of the goo look. This was basically absorbed by the cracks instead of filling in those voids. But, it did leave a great smooth texture to the carbonite. I ended up going back in with the joint compound (rubbing it into the cracks with my fingers) to get a nice layer, and did a little texturing with the drywall knife. I then sanded the drywall to take off the sharper edges to make it look a little more like carbonite and less like a bad drywall job. I then painted on a layer of Elmer’s Glue All with a foam brush so that all of the carbonite had that great post-glue texture. Lastly, I poured a few choice puddles to add additional gooey dimension. Here are some photos of the process (oh yeah, and I generally shot it with some automotive primer between layers so that I could see what I was working with):

IMG_1030.JPGIMG_1015.JPGIMG_1087.JPGIMG_1321.JPG
IMG_1486.JPGIMG_1602.JPG

Box Prep:

I basically finished the carbonite before the frame, as I wanted to make sure I didn’t get too excited and rush the paint. I also liked having the ability to wipe excess Bondo or other materials on the box to fill holes if I had too much when I was working on Han. What I will say to those who are taking on this project though is to really think about what you want the finished product to look like. If you want it smooth and glassy, then really spend some time here. I could have benefitted from a little more work here, but I also like a touch of character. I’m not 100% sure how I will do my own (this one is for my buddy/the financer). Due to some issues early on, I had quite a few spots to address. Best to use Bondo here or a similar automotive body filler, as the joint compound is more prone to cracking with movement (and ultimately this has to be transported to my buddy). After I ran out of my quart of Bondo, I ordered a gallon of Chrome-A-Lite on Amazon for like $21. It was much cheaper than the Bondo, and seemed to be just as good for this purpose, if not better. After a fair bit of filling and sanding, here’s where I ended up:

IMG_1588.JPG

Pro Tip: If you don’t have one, get yourself a nice orbital sander from Harbor Freight for $20ish. This thing saved my life. You don’t need to go fancy, but my palm and belt sanders were next to useless for this kind of a span where I was trying to get it relatively flat the whole way. After the filler, sanding, etc., I touched up Han’s primer and became giddy:

IMG_1594.JPG

Paint:

On to another source of debate. I found myself in a Home Depot picking up more primer and realizing, “I’m almost ready for paint and I don’t think I have paint at home!” I had already settled on the Brilliant Metal Finish from Rustoleum that I had been using for my panels for the main Han portion. However, what to do about the box?! I didn’t see the nickel or stainless colors that others have used. In fact, except for very light greys or metallic colors, grey options were actually in short supply. I ended up opting for Rustoleum’s Charcoal Grey in gloss (the only option as far as finish texture). I know some people think the box, panels, and Han were all one color. Some think Han was a lighter color, but the box and panels were the same. Some think the colors were different for ROTJ vs. ESB, etc. Ultimately, I like the contrast of a darker box, lighter panels, and a lighter Han. This seems to go hand in hand with my preference for a clear delineation of box vs. carbonite (note that I didn’t fill the carbonite up to the box edge as some others have done). It also looks like that’s the way the folks at Sideshow went with their licensed replica (for what that’s worth).

Now that that’s out of the way it’s time to discuss the process. To me, the smart money seemed to be to paint the box first, then tape off the box and paint Han. So, charcoal grey box first:

IMG_1612.JPGIMG_1605.JPG

As an aside, I thought the grey overspray on Han looked pretty cool. It brought out a lot of the carbonite detail. Note that I didn’t paint the entirety of the control panel backing boards, as they wouldn’t be visible. I did primer them though . . .

Now to tape him off and hit him with Brilliant Metal Finish:

IMG_1635.JPG

Pro Tip: Make sure the box paint is dry before taping it off (I let it sit a day in a 90+ degree garage). Then, place a piece of tape where you want your edge before adding masking material (in my case, newspaper). Then, go back and tape the newspaper to your piece of tape. That way you get a nice edge without fighting newspaper the whole time.

Wow, look at this contrast with the masking removed:

IMG_1642.JPGIMG_1650.JPG

Weathering:

So, obviously Han looks a bit ridiculous above. If he looked like that in the movie it would have been very unrealistic and you probably couldn’t have made out any of his details. Solution? $1 of acrylic hobby paint. Well, at least that was my solution. Others have weathering mixes that they’ve used on other projects. This is my first go at something like this, so I kept it simple. I basically covered the bottom of a Dixie cup with the black hobby paint, then filled it up about ¼ of the way with water. Next I painted it on with a foam brush, let it sit for a minute, then wiped it up with a rag. This allows you to fill in the crevices and bring out the details in the work. It also tames the bright color of the Brilliant Metal Finish to make it look more like carbonite. Here’s a shot where I’d done about half of it on my initial pass (I only had about 10 minutes I could spend on it that night):

IMG_1671.JPG

After looking closely at my photos for the next day or so, I concluded I was still missing a lot of detail and wanted to make the black “stick” a little better so that I didn’t just wipe it all up when going over my crevices. So, the next night I added more paint and less water. In theory this was great. But (1) it dried quicker (I think this was a combination of the higher paint content, it being hotter in the garage, and me having my fan blowing), and (2) it became very easy to over-weather. I ended up going back and hitting a couple places with the Brilliant Metal Finish where it got too dark. It may still be too dark for some people’s taste, but I think it turned out pretty close to what I had in mind. To top off the look though, I also took a tip from (I believe) Jedifyfe’s book and decided to hit it with a brown/bronze metal color. I didn’t spray it directly on Han or the box, but I did mist over the entire thing. It really added an amazing dimension to it. It makes it look like it is just a touch dirty/may have a touch of rust on it. But, you can’t really put your finger on where it’s at with the mist. It’s just one of those things that make it look a whole lot more realistic, partially because your mind doesn’t necessarily close in on what’s different about it. As I said, I did the box as well as Han with the mist. I didn’t weather the box otherwise, as I felt like it was not going to be noticeable given how dark it was in the Charcoal Grey color. The bronze gave it a bit of an aged appearance and softened the contrast a bit. If you compare the photos below to some of the ones above, you can get a sense for what the bronze did to the box as well. Without further ado, here are the pics of the finished Han (sans panels):

IMG_1706.JPGIMG_1708.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much Scroggins--great to hear people are looking and liking what I've done!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Dminor. I actually already picked some up off Amazon, but I appreciate the link!

What are the T pieces made from? Did you sculpt them?

Next, I needed to mold the T-pieces and the 2nd panel knob I created (tall knob wasn't done at this point). I put them in the bottom of a small dish I had, mixed the Oomoo rubber mold liquid, and poured it on top. One of the pieces had to be pushed back down a couple times (it floated), but the end mold pour looked like this:

View attachment 634643

Here's the other side once removed and the pieces cut out:

View attachment 634644

I then mixed up the Smoothcast, poured it in, and 15 minutes later had these:

View attachment 634645

Cleaned them up:

View attachment 634646

Now, ready for paint (along with the plastic bushings I bought from Home Depot for the additional "knobs" for the hero panel):

View attachment 634647

And, after hitting them with a little Rustoleum Metallic Bright Silver:

View attachment 634648

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back