What am I looking at? During vs. Post Production Luke ROTJ control box

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey,

So...This occurred to me ages ago to ask - but I never did. In exhibition photos and LFL archive shots we see the altered control box, with raised 2-part sidebars. Awesome.

The consensus is that the brass/copper/whatever on top were the original sidebars, without those grey strips. Cool, my issue: With just the brass/copper sidebars you'd still see a raised ridge from the strips of metal along the side of the activation card...and every time I watch the movie, the control box looks like one complete solid unit, flush and flat. Either there was different construction during production or I'm not seeing the original sidebars. does anyone have a sharper shot of that ISYHCANL scene? Maybe even from the blinking light part? Thanks!

Attachments

• jedsab3.jpg
    jedsab3.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 196
  • rotj_controlbox.jpg
    rotj_controlbox.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 217
That's an original top put on one of the bladed stunt sabers which became one of the hero sabers. That scene was filmed in California in a pick-up shot after production.

It was later modified with the angle brass top that we usually see. I've been planning to make this version for years but I haven't had the time.

Last night I picked up a blue plug board that I think is accurate and got me thinking about starting a metal Hero. I've always preferred the on-screen version however...

Do you James, or anyone else, have any photos, blu-ray screen caps or information on the original version of the control box?

I know they started as the 'Yuma' stunt saber box which had no top and no buttons/arrows. In that scene I believe it's just the Yuma box with the circuit board added.

The arrows and button was added later for the cave building scene, and it became the 'hero' we all know.

The only photos I've been able to find are caps from the movie itself.

Haha, I'm not sure what the inspiration was for the new control box's greeblies. As far as I know, in canon OT, there was no real meaning put out there. Just indicator lights.

- - - Updated - - -

The arrows and button was added later for the cave building scene, and it became the 'hero' we all know.

Wait really?! I always thought....Oh my god, my memories are getting mixed up. I need to watch and re-prime my long-term memory...

Watched a clip on Youtube, they never show the other side of the control box. Mind, Blown. This would mean the black buttons are the the same place as the old "fake Lever" on the Yuma stunt boxes.

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 6.47.26 PM.png

Last edited:
Haha, I'm not sure what the inspiration was for the new control box's greeblies. As far as I know, in canon OT, there was no real meaning put out there. Just indicator lights.

Wait really?! I always thought....Oh my god, my memories are getting mixed up. I need to watch and re-prime my long-term memory...

yes but if you look very very carefully at the top of the hilt just behind the emitter there is an arrow and the words front towards enemy>>>>>>>:lol

From Blu Ray.
Hey,

So...This occurred to me ages ago to ask - but I never did. In exhibition photos and LFL archive shots we see the altered control box, with raised 2-part sidebars. Awesome.

The consensus is that the brass/copper/whatever on top were the original sidebars, without those grey strips. Cool, my issue: With just the brass/copper sidebars you'd still see a raised ridge from the strips of metal along the side of the activation card...and every time I watch the movie, the control box looks like one complete solid unit, flush and flat. Either there was different construction during production or I'm not seeing the original sidebars. does anyone have a sharper shot of that ISYHCANL scene? Maybe even from the blinking light part? Thanks!

Attachments

• rotj box.jpg
    rotj box.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 426
From Blu Ray.

Thanks for these. I see it now - but holy crap the sidebar material is thin! It looks to me like a whole separate top from what we see today, maybe with the same card. I don't see any residue from the original version on the box on display. Whole new box?

I wonder if the fake lever was still there... we may never know.

It is! I've read that through twice now, and I have two questions - 1) what thickness/kind of brass is that (if you had gone screen route) and 2) the black buttons are there on screen! They weren't added for the cave scene

It's very thin brass ... some L-shaped brass rails you can find in model trains shops ... I still have plenty of those rails left to cut to size about 5cm each for screen used ... as well as a hole sheet of that copper foil which in time will color more brass like ... especially when handled from time to time :)

What's your question regarding those black buttons?

Chaim

Oops...didn't have one, my bad :lol

though that does change this fact. I wonder if the fake lever was cut off and these buttons added, it does look a bit messy beneath them.
I know they started as the 'Yuma' stunt saber box which had no top and no buttons/arrows. In that scene I believe it's just the Yuma box with the circuit board added.

The only photos I've been able to find are caps from the movie itself.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back