Best way to attatch patches to leather jacket?

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yes, I know i can sew them on, but man! That leather is THICK! Isn't there another way to do this? Fabric glue perhaps? Anyone have any experience in leatherwork or at least another option?

I was poking around Jo-Ann fabrics the other day and noticed they sold a "patch glue" in the adhesive section. It's supposed to attach patches with no sewing needed. :thumbsup

I was poking around Jo-Ann fabrics the other day and noticed they sold a "patch glue" in the adhesive section. It's supposed to attach patches with no sewing needed. :thumbsup

I have some of it but there is no mention of leather.

All patches on my Leathers I have put on at a local tailor shop.
They sew them on for 5 or 6 bucks. Saves me time and hassle and they don't come off.

a lot of drycleaner/ alteration places around here will put a patch on for like 10 bucks
look for one that specializes in leather
they all seem to be run by ancient chinese ladies
and an awl is like a sharp nail on a handle

I don't know about leather, but we (at PatchGeeks) have tried almost everything out there to attach patches to jackets and shirts.

The fabric glue worked so-so.

A few months ago, on a whim, we tried Mighty Mendit (it was on sale at Walgreens :lol ). And I'll be damned if it's not the best stuff we've found for attaching patches.

This stuff works. And it stays on.

We've even added a page on our site and linked to a place where you can buy it online.

http://www.scifigeeks.com/information.php/info_id/11

I know it's one of those Billy Mays TV sales things, but we were all surprised at just how well this worked and stayed on.

This is, by far, the best stuff we've found for attaching patches to fabric. I'd be willing to try it on leather, especially if you were going to sew the patch on anyway. If it did anything to the finish, you could at least sew the patch over it.

I use a leather glue I found at Jo-ann's (or wal-mart I dont remember)

I used it to glue patches on my motorcycle vest.

The trick I found is the patch itself.

If the patch has a cloth, untreated backside, the leather glue works great!
The patches stay on at 70mph :)

If its coated with wax (or whatever they use to make it shiney and smooth) the glue does NOT work.

Hope it helps

Use Loctite® PL Premium® FAST GRAB Polyurethane Construction Adhesive... It works...

Sewing patches is ideal - especially when it's an historical repro. You want it down to the OD thread, yadda, yadda, yadda... BUT? Most places sew right through the jacket/vest. I've seen them sew right through an inside or outside pocket. The good ones remove the lining. They charge more than $10 - at least the ones I've worked with.

Flight Suits / G&B does it right. If that's what you want, give them a call.

For myself? The only one I've done myself is a Sons of Anarchy cut. I did it the way they do them for the show - Loctite® PL Premium® FAST GRAB Polyurethane Construction Adhesive. They tell me they got that "tip" from a couple Hell's Angles from Oakland.

On that note? "They" recommended getting repros from WizardPatch. LOL - Because FOX has locked down the IP on Sons, the only really identical repros come from these guys who make and ship from China. No sticky IP-related laws. The company is based in Australia...

Oh - the awl idea? I hope that's a joke. You really think that's how to sew on leather? Cut your steaks with an axe?

Last edited:
I have used a product called "leatherweld" with great results. If you really want to hand sew them on yourself, use a thin "glovers needle", you'll need to use a thimble to push the needle through, but it will go MUCH easier than trying it with a fabric needle.

I had the same problem with my BPRD leather patch, i ended up taking it to a tailor and he was able to sew it on there nice and tight. Glue will only hold for so long, but if you plan on wearing it, definitely have it sewn on so it lasts.

I have used a product called "leatherweld" with great results. If you really want to hand sew them on yourself, use a thin "glovers needle", you'll need to use a thimble to push the needle through, but it will go MUCH easier than trying it with a fabric needle.

Yep! A glover's or one of the thin/flat upholstery needles works well with a thimble. Adhesives can work alright for small patches - but things like rocker patches or squadron patches deserve the extra $25-$40 they deserve to attach properly.

The cut in the attached pic - paid $120 to attach the 4 patches on the back, plus 4 more (small bar patches) on the front. You cannot get good adhesion and flexibility on those rockers or that reaper with glue - and the patch set's worth a good $300-$500 if you could buy it.

Last edited:
I gorilla glued a big patch on the sleeve of my jacket.. I've had it for years and wore it in the garage all last winter working on cars and have washed it a hundred times.

I gorilla glued a big patch on the sleeve of my jacket.. I've had it for years and wore it in the garage all last winter working on cars and have washed it a hundred times.

Gorilla Glue is awesome stuff. Just be careful in that the amber color can bleed through on a white cloth background. Again - for small patches only? The glue becomes very stiff.

Places to ask? Harley Davidson dealers and large local sporting goods retailers. Contact the local high school and ask where the kids get their letterman jackets setup.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back