ODST Crossover: Venom and Carnage

Re: ODST + Venom cross-over : ODSV

Brilliant - oh how I would love one of these! Or a spiderman version; just BRAVO

Awww, no more yet? This looks like an awesome build, can't wait to see the finished product!

I imagine you'll apply all kinds of bad-ass weathering to it when finished, right?

The Venom spider turned out awesome. Don't let the lack of replies get you down. Some of my threads get tons of response, and others almost nil. I haven't quite figured out what it is that gets more people to comment on one thread over another.

Thanks! It didn't bother me- I was just surprised by how fast the threads move around here compared to the 405th, but that will probably change now that that site is under new management and working better.

Looks good. I don't get the mash up, but I love Halo & Venom, so keep going.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

The mashup is an idea I have years ago to combine a Halo ODST (Orbital Drop Shock Trooper) with Marvels Venom to make an Orbital Drop Shock Venom! :)

I've got some other neat things I want to do with this concept, but I'm not ready to share them yet. Thanks!

I only noticed I hadn't responded when you mentioned Ronin was the only one commenting. Oops.

I've been drooling the whole time in the corner at the helmet concept, and the chest piece just sold it as an amazing mash-up for me. Keep up the work!

Thank you! The encouragement from the community keeps me focused and moving, so please chime in!

Brilliant - oh how I would love one of these! Or a spiderman version; just BRAVO

Someone on Halo Props FB group commented and shared a Spider-Man Spartan he or someone else did. It looked pretty good, but I think a lot of it depends on the armor base you choose. The McFarlene SPAWN + EVA spartan worked well, but trying to put Spider-Man on say, Master Chief's armor would not look so good IMO.

This is a brilliant idea. The helmet is excellent.

Thank you!

Awww, no more yet? This looks like an awesome build, can't wait to see the finished product!

I imagine you'll apply all kinds of bad-ass weathering to it when finished, right?

Well.... I have an update now! :p

I will do some weathering to this suit, yes.

Fantastic work, that paint job is amazing!

Thank you!

Love it! Especially the visor and helmet.
TheLonelyDwarf

Thanks! But the credit to the base parts goes to Sean Bradley- it's one of his kits, I'm just making it my own ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Update Time

It's been a couple weeks and I've not posted much but I have made some great progress. Right now I'm mostly working on sewing and strapping the pieces together, and I don't think anyone really cares about that :rolleyes

Last week I mostly worked on the emblems and got them finished. I thought about a few different options for how to tackle them, and decided against the decal route because it was too complex to stick them over such an uneven surface.

That left me with stencils. So I taped off each piece, traced the image I cut out and then very gently with a fresh x-acto I cut just deep enough to remove those sections of tape. It took forever to remove them, but it came out very well!

rc0YQWZl.jpg

JS7TfRMl.jpg

kfACrFHl.jpg

FeRdvO2l.jpg

For the battle worn look, I took some Vaseline on the end of a chip brush and flicked or splattered it on the cut out area- this acted as my paint resist.

Then I painted over it, let that cure overnight, and the next day I wiped the Vaseline off and removed the tape.

I also got the gloves painted. They are just some old paintball gloves I had around. I need to remove the old velcro strap and sew in a new one.

xDs0jPMl.jpg

This shot is out of order, but here is the helmet after a I painted its base coat. You should just be able to make out the blue hue on the edges. The effect is more pronounced in sunlight.

IzVaLlAl.jpg

Earlier this evening I began painting the details onto some of the other pieces. When they are done, I'll hit them with a gloss clear coat and then on top of that I'll dry brush some battle damage on.

inyLf5vl.jpg

HoZGv40l.jpg

Black and Blue

VJszZOFl.jpg

DLD2PoFl.jpg

That's all for now. I hope to have more to share after the weekend, but it' supposed to be pretty humid and rainy here.

Thanks for reading!

Wow, looks really awesome! I really love that blue-black effect. :D

Random question: How much did the kit cost you, and where did you get it from?

Just discovered this project and I gotta say I am sold! Great idea for a mashup, and it is coming together beautifully. Way to maintain patience and take it slow, to achieve exactly the look you want. Looking forward to seeing the assembled suit!

beautiful - can't wait to see the finished product

Thank you! Hopefully not too much longer.

Wow, looks really awesome! I really love that blue-black effect. :D

Random question: How much did the kit cost you, and where did you get it from?

Thank you :)

I got the kit from Sean Bradley. You'd need to get pricing from him.

Just discovered this project and I gotta say I am sold! Great idea for a mashup, and it is coming together beautifully. Way to maintain patience and take it slow, to achieve exactly the look you want. Looking forward to seeing the assembled suit!

Thanks! It has paid off for me quite well, especially with the stage I am at now with strapping and fitting.

Update Time!

I've been very busy on this build and things are coming together very well, and even better than I imagined in some areas. A lot of the progress I've made is stuff like sewing and strapping, so I don't think many of you want to see pictures of that.

On the chest piece I taped off the buckles and painted them to look like steel, it came out nicely.
GpYHbYkl.jpg

I also got all the parts clear coated, but there is no need to show that as the parts still look the same, if not 'wetter'.

For the undersuit, I'm using a set of Nike's Pro Combat compression wear. It's pretty much the same thing as under armor (Which I'll be wearing underneath THAT) and that should keep me as cool as possible in the Atlanta heat.

vzRsMJxl.jpg

To attach the shoulder bells, I marked off two spots on each shoulder and punched in some large snaps. Since the undersuit material is very fine and stretchy, I had to put some extra fabric underneath the snaps to prevent tearing down the line.

drti4ASl.jpg

Those snaps attach to a removable layer of faux leather. The underside of that material is pretty ugly looking.

pCdKipTl.jpg

Into that material, I had to sew in two t-nuts. The particular ones I found had holes around the border which were perfect for sewing into the doubled up material.

TBr30NUl.jpg

There is one on each side, two per shoulder. They hold the bell to the leather. On each side of the nut I used a rubber washer. Those allow me to screw into the bell without scratching it.

UBE5CXEl.jpg

Here is what it looks like attached to my shoulder. Pretty hard angle to photograph by myself, but it'll do haha

NVf0kYsl.jpg

The weight is supported evenly and feels secure when I move around.

Also made progress on the forearms. For these I used some foam cushioning that keeps my arm snug in the piece.

RTkIJ1Tl.jpg

On the end of the cushion that pokes out the back, I glued down some of the fake leather to make it look like a seal, instead of exposed foam. It does the job well I think.

9iziUdwl.jpg

ik8rdYcl.jpg

I also had to cut out a small section to allow me better range of motion and bend my arm closer to me. The padding is only held in via friction and pressure. Not having to glue it down is a nice treat.

pLbjA64l.jpg

I did a test fit for the lower body pieces. Everything fits pretty well, and overall looks right on me. I still need to add some padding in places for comfort and noise reduction, but it's nice to see it taking shape! On a side note, I'm very skinny with a 30 waist, and that makes it super hard to fit all the pieces on the web belt that holds them. ODSTs weren't designed to be scrawny, that's for sure!

5cplksBl.jpg

NHp44E3l.jpg

gNKQx54l.jpg

Today I did some test fitting for the upper body. The chest fits well, and the shoulders hang perfectly. My range of motion is much more impressive than my first suit, though going above my head is sill tricky.

gEhHBjdl.jpg

kA2Cw1sl.jpg

Here is with the bells on.

Q5V8iBYl.jpg

LuDW1vKl.jpg

WYWro3al.jpg

I'm thinking about extending the spider legs onto the straps on the back, but that might be more trouble than it's worth at this point. We'll see.

I've not yet tested both halves together, but will probably be doing that this week. Still more sewing to go.

Thanks for reading!
SEEz9BNl.jpg

Looking very good. I like the weathering on the Chest Plate.

Thank you :)

Awesome progress!

Awesome. Gonna put on everything you have so far?

Oh yeah.

Awesome cross-over! May I ask how you tinted your visor? (Sorry if somebody already asked).

Thanks! The visor was provided by Sean Bradley. It is a clear piece of plastic that was colored in a hot dye bath. Once dry, it is air brushed on the inside with a thin layer or Mirrachrome silver for the effect. It makes vision a little blurry, but hides your face.

Update time!

I've been pretty quite for the past two weeks, but I've been working pretty much non stop behind the scenes. Dragon Con is in 2 days, and I did my final test fits this evening. I was able to finish the rucksack and get it attached and the helmet is done now. Fans have been installed small details have been added to the armor and everything has come out wonderfully.

I've got several images to share, though I apologize that they aren't exactly in order; Like I said, I've been busy :p

I'll start with the body:

Here is the back, without the rucksack attached. Should be able to see the blue highlights on the edges. I gave this section an extra coat of clear gloss and polished it up to 3000 grit. It fits really well and looks good even without the back pack.
cLTHyqal.jpg

The shins and thighs. Thighs sit lower than I like, but that is due to poor planning on my part. I've padded the knees a bit to keep them from klonking into the thighs too much.
vO6PfxVl.jpg

Mid section. The crotch plate has a tendency to catch on the thighs from time to time, but that's because I'm not very wide. A 30 inch waist doesn't leave much room!
PEqmZAll.jpg

Some upper details
iA9rCpIl.jpg

A09F3xNl.jpg

Rucksack is also attached now- this took me a long time to figure out, but once I had some assistance from another member and his build, it became much simpler. It was very much a "D'oH, it is that simple" kinda thing.
Ftjvtf8l.jpg

Backpack is attached by clips that are sewn into the back straps. I had to do some heavy stitching by hand. It was not fun, but it holds and that's what I need.
xOCx0Vtl.jpg

Custom Med decal that Sean was kind enough to print up for me. For blood type, it's V+, or venom positive ;)
SchVbGfl.jpg

This shot is just everything fitted to me, minus the rucksack. I'm very pleased with the look of the armor under the lighting.
dDbdSMAl.jpg

Helmet

Helmet is done as well. I settled on cutting my own deals for the teeth. Vision on the visor is not impacted at all honestly. I debated pretty long and hard about painting on a small thin pink gumline with some green spit\slime but decided against it- this looks cleaner.
DV32LEkl.jpg

Wait, there's more!

Venom is really known for his super long tongue. It occurred to me that I might be able to make that work on this build if I could make it detachable. So I cut out a section of EVA foam and bent it into shape with my heat gun, then plasti-diped it and painted it to match the visor color.
4YCtgyyl.jpg

There is a small gap in between the visor and helemt, and by attaching two small strips of webbing to the tongue, I was able to insert it into that gap and the tongue is held in by friction. Here is how it looks.
NioAwYol.jpg

vFC8Kual.jpg

I think it's pretty neat! I don't have a pic, but I took it a step further and added some hot glue to the tongue in such a fashion that it looks like drool- it's pretty creepy ;)

Feeling great by this point, and on a roll creatively speaking so I made a little spider man out fit for my grunt plushie!
pI6tx7ql.jpg

I plan to zip tie him to the backpack during dragoncon :)
NZV1KMBl.jpg

I have more pics to share, starting a second post. Stay tuned...

- - - Updated - - -

Update time part deux

At this point, everything has been test fitted and I'm confident that it will hold together just fine. My range of motion is way better than my first suit in terms of just general walking around and being able to sit down. I can even hold a weapon in different poses now which is a plus- before all I could do was just stand and look stoic.

I put everything on and did a lap around the block- everything seems pretty good. Here are some images of everything on.

V36nwsBl.jpg

ZOsaj8tl.jpg

I love this look. My Fiance says its scary looking. Yay!
9TWTpqEl.jpg

Here is a good one of the tongue with drool. I have two tongues- one with and one without. The teeth also *almost* look 3d here.
h0iiLXMl.jpg

Not sure if I like the Magnum or AR more.
Y2h5VkGl.jpg

Here's one with the backpack visible.
RfyyONxl.jpg

WE SHALL BE LIKE POISON TO THE COVENANT.
WE ARE...VENOM

ZC2iZeDl.jpg

nBiBSMal.jpg

Thanks for reading. I will be at Dragon Con, hopefully with some of the other 405th guys. If you see me, come get a picture and share it with me please!

See you after convention :)

cLTHyqal.jpg

vO6PfxVl.jpg

PEqmZAll.jpg

iA9rCpIl.jpg

A09F3xNl.jpg

Ftjvtf8l.jpg

xOCx0Vtl.jpg

SchVbGfl.jpg

dDbdSMAl.jpg

DV32LEkl.jpg

4YCtgyyl.jpg

NioAwYol.jpg

vFC8Kual.jpg

pI6tx7ql.jpg

NZV1KMBl.jpg

V36nwsBl.jpg

ZOsaj8tl.jpg

9TWTpqEl.jpg

h0iiLXMl.jpg

Y2h5VkGl.jpg

RfyyONxl.jpg

ZC2iZeDl.jpg

nBiBSMal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

That looks fantastic! Please tell me you're going to weather it after dragoncon? It would look so awesome.

WOW...great crossover and wonderful attention to detail.

Not sure if I like the tongue, but the concept itself work very well.

Have fun sporting it at your next convention!

Markus

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back