ODST Crossover: Venom and Carnage

Revenant1988

Hello! New to these forums but I've been on the 405th a few years. Thought I'd share a project I'm working on for Dragon Con 2014.

Last winter I received an ODST kit from Sean Bradely. Due to winter and other projects, I wasn't able to start working on it until a couple months ago. I've had this character idea in my head for a very long time, and decided to just go for it and see if I can make it happen. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm making progress and feedback\encouragement are much appreciated to help me keep focused.

Here are some progress pics;

Cleanup and primer
yoTRYTPl.jpg

rAq4wm3l.jpg

A few coats of gloss black

hafuFlGl.jpg
GrozfGHl.jpg

Rough draft at eyes and teeth (This changed several times as I worked on it. I must have done 10 different versions of the eyes until I was happy.)

1ZvJ5uyl.jpg

Switched to red visor
I decided to go with a red visor to make Venom's mouth more obvious.

MLb7vvll.jpg

Eyes finalized, teeth still WIP
I finally settled on the eyes and cut out a template on some sticker paper. Sometimes, I feel like I can visualize what I want in my head, but sometimes, until I actually put something in front of me to make it "real", I have trouble bridging that gap from concept to proof.

jIhusxcl.jpg

e0ZQsaSl.jpg

PeGblwrl.jpg

I'm very happy with the eyes, and would say I'm ready to do final painting on them. The teeth on the other hand I need to re-work. Putting the sticker templates on it really helped me see how it looks, and I think they should be bigger and more spaced out. Once the teeth are settled, I am planning to paint a pink gumline to make the mouth pop even more.

Visibility through the visor is adequate, and the teeth do not obstruct my vision much at all.

Still mulling over how I might make tongue work...

Thanks for reading and if anyone has any feed back I'm very open to it.

Last edited:
Re: ODST + Venom cross-over : ODSV

Another update:

I began work on some of the body kit and progress is being made

Shins, calves, forearms

EK1DLGal.jpg

Backpack

QZyxe5il.jpg

OA2Feq2l.jpg

The color on the inside is tinted smoothcast 320 that I used to reinforce the pieces with. I had a trial kit of various colors and wanted to get some practice with them, so I went ahead on parts of the armor that no one will see.

I'm also playing around with paint options, trying to decide between gloss black and a more "midnight blue" .

Thanks for reading

This is a really cool idea. Can't wait to see the finished product.

The red visor is a nice touch.

Subscribed! V. Nice. I love the cross overs people do! reminds me of a vietnam era helicopters helmet? maybe it's just me! Keep up the good work!

Are you planning on adding venom details to the armor itself?

Regards,
The

I like it. It's like Dutch's Skull or the "Shark Face" ODST helmet the one Insurrectionist from Red Vs Blue wears.

Holy crap, that helmet looks so cool.

Thank you

Really liking the McFarlaine style eyes better, too.

Glad you noticed! That is the look I'm trying to capture, my favorite era of Venom. My main other source for reference is his character model from Marvel vs Capcom. Still haven't decided on what I want the final color to be, either gloss black or a midnight blue.

Subscribed! V. Nice. I love the cross overs people do! reminds me of a vietnam era helicopters helmet? maybe it's just me! Keep up the good work!

Are you planning on adding venom details to the armor itself?

Regards,
The

Sure am! I will be adding the signature spider to the chest plate and back pack, as well as the hand details and a few other things I'm not quite ready to mention yet. I'm aiming to get a true hybrid between the comic book style of Venom with the details of an ODST.

I like it. It's like Dutch's Skull or the "Shark Face" ODST helmet the one Insurrectionist from Red Vs Blue wears.

Hey Cadet! Man, I haven't watched RvB since season 3. I think the ODST in particular lends itself well to custom art on it's surface. It's harder to do that with say, the superior Mk V, but hey, the Mk V's gotta leave something for the other armors haha :lol

I did get to work on it a little yesterday. Mostly more assembly on the pieces. I want to nail this stuff down before I get too wrapped up in painting.

Good progress on the belt. This would include the strapping for the butt plate, crotch plate, thighs, and hip plates.

sMa4GqMl.jpg

I'm still refining things, but one thing for certain is that for a guy like me with a 30 inch waist, there isn't a lot of room to hang all this hardware from!

MLilLg7l.jpg

7QTRFF3l.jpg

I'm going to have to trim off some of the thighs to make them fit me better, but that's not a big deal as I won't lose any detail.

Some of the armor parts are meant to overlap a tad, such as the hip plates and thighs so to minimize any scratches and scrapes from those parts rubbing together I'll probably take some foam and apply it to the inside edges. That should also make it a little quieter too!

I've still got some other parts to assemble and I've started looking at painting options. Lots to do.

Thanks for reading.

"Sharkface" shows up in season 9 of Red Vs Blue, has a similar paint job where there's a red visor with the white teeth on the visor:
527px-Sharkface_AKA_Insurrection_Flamer.png

Glad you noticed! That is the look I'm trying to capture, my favorite era of Venom. My main other source for reference is his character model from Marvel vs Capcom. Still haven't decided on what I want the final color to be, either gloss black or a midnight blue.
It's always been my feeling that the symbiote is supposed to be BLACK and they just used blue to show the highlights. If you want the details to pop, maybe what you could do is clear the black with a clearcoat that has some blue pearl mixed in, so that it'll pop that blue just when the light hits it right.

It's always been my feeling that the symbiote is supposed to be BLACK and they just used blue to show the highlights. If you want the details to pop, maybe what you could do is clear the black with a clearcoat that has some blue pearl mixed in, so that it'll pop that blue just when the light hits it right.

Hmmm. That is an interesting idea I had not considered before. I recall Volpin doing something similar on his Needler build and it turned out really nice. I do have access to an airbrush- I may have to give that a shot on a tester piece or two and see. Do you have any recommendations on the paints to achieve such a blend between the clear and blue pearl?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Update time

I spent a little time here and there working on the kit, the bulk of the work was done over the weekend.

I was able to get the majority of the torso section done (trimmed, sanded, riveted, basic strapping)

TIg7hmbl.jpg

3tJHB0xl.jpg

It fits my back like a glove!

b75Wto1l.jpg

The sections are connected with strips of nylon webbing that's been riveted to the plates. Sean recommended to use scraps of the HIPS material, but I think I may not be the only one wearing this (especially when I get the Carnage suit done)so I opted for the flexibility instead. It still feels very solid. I'm not worried abou it tearing.

eeGGAeUl.jpg

I found that an easy way to make the holes in the webbing for the rivets to slide through was to heat a file I had with a lighter and poke it through. This works better than a drill or dremel in my opinion because the nylon has a tendency to catch or dethread if the right amount of speed and pressure are not applied.

This was MUCH easier and the hot file seals the ends, so the possibility of tearing is minimized.

NSQNdcnl.jpg

I was also able to cleanup the buckles and get them painted. I still plan to seal it with a clear coat and then black wash these.

Here is how the torso sections look on me so far

ImCSjRjl.jpg

qcXOV50l.jpg

That's all for now.

I've slowly been making progress on on sewing the ends of the straps for the D-rings and such. It's a slow, tedious process, but I'm getting there.

Thanks for reading!

Spray paint - galaxy blue (pearl) over white basecoat - YouTube It's over white, but that gives you an idea of how.

Oh! I've used that stuff before, but it didn't click with me what you were talking about at first. Had you said chameleon paint I would have known instantly :lol

That stuff produces several different colors depending on how its applied (greens, purples, golds). If I can find a can here locally I'll give it a spin. Definitely worth a try.

Tiny update- I've started the paint selection process and have begun testing different blends and ideas.

RymgUzll.jpg

The left cup is "Toyota Black"
The center cup is "Honda Royal Blue"
The right cup is "Ford blue pearl"

The cups you see in the back are Krylon Gloss black (back left), Krylon Flat Black (back center), and then more Toyota black on the left.

What I'm going to be trying is lightly misting the two blues above to see if I can achieve a sort of blue sheen on the armor under certain lighting conditions and angles. I did this once before on my Brute Spiker kit and it came out very well. I'll be doing two specific things with the blues; I'm going to test

a.) Just a light mist of the blues on the blacks
b.) Tape off the ribs of the black cups and spray them with the blues to accentuate the details, as if they were the edges of the armor pieces*.

other_mongoose-rookie-visr_photo_01_md.jpg

Kinda hard to explain until I do it, but try picturing how the ODSTs look through VISR mode from the game (only way less neon in my case)

I hope to have the results soon. I've also started working on the stencil for the chest, which I know is what people really want to see haha :)

Another idea might be to use Subaru Midnight Black Pearl. It looks black until the light hits it JUST RIGHT. This is the best pic I could find
wrxdriverim6.jpg

It really looks BLACK except in the right light.

Update

Work has been getting in the way more than I'd like to admit but I'm still moving along. The pieces have all be assembled and I've done most of the sewing for the strap system.

A friend of mine has a paint booth and was kind enough to let me use it the past weekend to start painting the suit pieces. So far everything is primed in matte black and looks pretty slick like that alone. I still need to hit it with some gloss black and then the highlights\details will come after. Humidity has been pretty high right now and that's been preventing me from working on it this week.

(again, sorry for the cell phone pics)

sqBHt8Sl.jpg

pYCQ52Sl.jpg

BK7aG6Rl.jpg

xXhOXXyl.jpg

Thanks for reading, more to come soon :)

Looking good so far!

Thanks! So far you've really been the only one to comment here, I appreciate the encouragement! :lol

Update Time and a Happy Accident

I hit a huge milestone over the weekend with regards to painting. Last weekend I was able to get everything primed (as seen in the pics a few posts up) but suffered a setback the next day when I went to paint the gloss coat. I got caught up in the moment and didn't bother to check the humidity which led to orange peel all over nearly every single piece!

I was very angry face! >:c

After wallowing for a few days I began the process of wet sanding each piece down to remove the imperfections and after another humidity check, it was safe to try the gloss again. That layer applied successfully. I'd post a pic but you've all seen enough of the black armor by now I feel :rolleyes:

Painting, round 3

The next step was brainstorming how I was going to attempt to add that slight blue sheen to the finish I mentioned earlier. I really want to capture the look of comic-book style Venom, particularly the McFarlane style which is black but with blue highlights and accents.

Before painting, most of the pieces had a slight layer of dust on them from being in my garage, so to clean them, I used what I had laying around which were some of these swiffer sweeper cloths.
037000318224lg.jpg

I'm sure some of you are reading and thinking "why is he mentioning this?" Hold on just a second and you'll see :)

After wiping each part, I taking the now glossed pieces and ever so lightly misting Duplicolor "Ford royal blue" over them, one at a time. This produced a fine coating of blue paint dust on the floor where I was painting.

As I kept going along, I would check each piece in the sun to see the difference in bright light vs low garage light and I noticed something interesting- some of the pieces had a very well defined blue translucence to them on certain details and edges (?!).

Then it dawned on me what happened : When I dusted the pieces, they became statically charged, and as the paint dust built up it attracted some of that dust to the finish, achieving just the look I was hoping for!

BFatJfJl.jpg

ZgHXR31l.jpg

(Again, I'm sorry for the cell phone quality and these pieces are sooper glossy so they don't photograph easily as it is)

Can you see it!? That slight blue on the edges? That only happens at certain angles, otherwise the piece appears gloss black. It's perfect!

Here is another that shows it a little better

rNEMwpzl.jpg

2o2Zu9cl.jpg

At this point, I was elated. I figured I would only achieve the black from a distance and slight blue sparkle if you were maybe a foot away from me, but this is exactly what I wanted. When I walk under natural light, the armor now "shifts" and highlights certain details. I won't be certain until I have everything put on with my under suit, but I think this is going to rock.

Painting round 4!

Now I had so much momentum built up after that success that I decided to keep going with painting, specifically the chest piece.

I started by making a template for the spider emblem on card stock. To get the proportions just right, I used a projector to throw the image on a wall, traced it to card stock, and then cut out my template.

From there, I found that the leggy-ness of the emblem proved to be difficult to get the stencil on the chest, so I got around that by masking off the whole piece, taping my template to the piece, tracing the emblem on the tape, and then gently cut out the emblem from the piece.

This took me longer than I care to admit, and was an extreme effort in patience and finger dexterity.

Q68ncGsl.jpg

Then I took a chip brush and dabbed it in some Vaseline and carefully flicked it at the chest piece to be a resist agent against the white paint.

It paid off beautifully.

Here it is with just the tape removed.

1SILZrJl.jpg

Here it is with the Vaseline wiped away

RcI5fW0l.jpg

For fun, here is what it looks like wit the helmet (which is still a WIP as of now)

yKsG3Syl.jpg

I'm feeling pretty good about this project now. Having that part of it done makes this all the more real to me.

Thanks for reading! More updates soon.

brhPJ46l.jpg

The Venom spider turned out awesome. Don't let the lack of replies get you down. Some of my threads get tons of response, and others almost nil. I haven't quite figured out what it is that gets more people to comment on one thread over another.

Looks good. I don't get the mash up, but I love Halo & Venom, so keep going.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I only noticed I hadn't responded when you mentioned Ronin was the only one commenting. Oops.

I've been drooling the whole time in the corner at the helmet concept, and the chest piece just sold it as an amazing mash-up for me. Keep up the work!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back