Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

WAAAYYY BETTER:cool (sorry for yelling, couldn't help myself:$) Don't touch anything on that Death Star! Btw, ILM called; they want their model back PDQ!

Rob, it looks good, and the thichness of the dish wouldn't be noticed by most and you can leave it as is. However, what kind of level of difficulty would it be to make a "third" dish?
You probably didn't want to hear it, but from the amount of work you put into the Death Star, I'm sure this notion is in the back of your head right now, it would be in mine.

Thought about this...

The whole process has been a learning experience (clearly), and the closer you get it to "right" the more adjustments you see can be made.

I'm near enough now that if I did a third dish, I'd build it separate from the model so that at a later date perhaps, I could install it (after all else is "done").

I think the remaining issues are that the center disc on mine is flat and should be concave, and the thickness of the plastic. Plus that stupid "bump" i purposely built in at the 11:00 position ... :facepalm I've also wondered if the extending lip is just a tad too much, but if it is, it is a fraction of a millimeter so.

My 2cents... leave it, work on another area, then later on, build a separate dish that can be inserted at a much later date. I'm really enjoying this build thread! Keep up the great work!

There comes a point when enough is enough. It looks great. Yes, I can see the dish is too thick, but no one would fault you for leaving it as is. I certainly will not. As stated, it is the most accurate replica out there. I would like to see it all lit up!!!

Outstanding work!! Be 'done with the dish'. ;)

My 2cents... leave it, work on another area, then later on, build a separate dish that can be inserted at a much later date. I'm really enjoying this build thread! Keep up the great work!

That's exactly it... Totally my approach to it. As you are suggesting and Spicer is as well - time to move on...

I have to wet-sand the entire model. Or most of anyway...

Those that may remember, I bathed the model in 1,500 watts of halogen light for the better part of a year and it REALLY yellowed the clear coat. Learned today that wet sanding at 2,500 grit can "clean" the yellowing by 75% or more...

060114 004.jpg

OK...

On the far left to two color tones in the red oval are original yellowed clear coat and new base grey coat added.

In the center image, the far left red oval is wet-sanded original yellowed clear coat and the right red oval is simply the original yellowed clear coat.

In the right-hand image the top oval is wet-sanded original yellowed clear coat and the bottom oval the original yellowed clear coat.

060114 005.jpg

Another advantage in wet-sanding:

Again, for those that remember, I hand-painted out the black dots that were to big with brushed on grey paint. This left little bumps all over the model, visilbe with sun-light or other powerful lighting cast on the model. Looks like the model has the measels, or bad acne.

Wet-sanding appears to be taking care of this...

Last edited:
Jason had that thing shoved in the back of my car. Ever time I looked in my rear view mirror it prompted me to say "Thats no moon...."

Photo Jun 02, 5 14 16 AM.jpg

Attachments

• Photo Jun 02, 5 14 16 AM.jpg
    Photo Jun 02, 5 14 16 AM.jpg
    800.2 KB · Views: 377
I am under no illusions about how stupid this is to take on for me ;)

I figure it'll be done in 2020? Slow and low. The brisket of studio scale models.

Are there any pictures of the TOP (or even some of the bottom) of the original Death Star model? There are a few pictures of the model crawling around the web showing it on display in a museum but nobody seems to have bothered to photograph the top of it. I'm building a basketball sized model (made from two transparent bird feeder hemispheres!) and need just that info.

That's very helpful. Thanks! :)

There's not much going on on the top of the model.

There is a raised ring, and paint that fades out to the silver base-coat then clear acrylic. Since no camera angles or shots in the film really showed it, they didn't really "finish" the north pole. Interestingly though, the top portion does clearly illustrate that they extended the paint job more, after it was initially finished.

I have photos of this area but not on this PC; the machine with the pics on it is not connected to the internet.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back