Is the underside of an X-wing unpainted or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn't anything on the X-Wing that's supposed to look like bare metal/aluminum.
As you said, very dirty white, with patches of grey, yellow, red, and even green. (Very pale shades.)

Sorry, but I don't see what you see, apparently. Can you mark it up in the pic so I know what part you are referring to exactly?

there is no metal paint on the nose, nor on the lower half. It's all weathered white (I say white for simplification reasons, please don't kill me, studio scalers ;))

For Red 3, the underside of the nose is actually green even (as seen in the gallery)

based on what is known on the models, how they were painted, based on the actual models I've seen at exhibitions. Your eyes deceive you as it is what you want to see/what you interpret into the pictures. But I'm sure someone with far more knowledge on this will chime in very soon

Yeah, having seen many of these things in person, it definitely isn't bare metal. Or painted to look like bare metal. You might be seeing a bit of a pearlescent effect, but it's not metal. Bare in mind, if it were too reflective, it wouldn't work for bluescreen optical matting.

--Alex

ESB fullsize X Wing nose cone:
swempire_1859.jpg

it's your model in the end. If you think it should be bare metal and reflective, go for it. No reference I know/see indicates it is, but as I said, this is your ship ;)

I think part of the confusion stems from comparing the full size prop to the studio minis. The full size props definitely look like bare/gray metal in both a ANH and ESB while the studio miniatures look like they are painted white. Same thing with the snowspeeders. The full size propr looks more metallic compared to the minatures. Same thing for the Falcon as well (at least in ESB)

Also remember that those pics of Red 3 are of a 30 plus year old model. That paint is lucky if it even resembles the original color that it was when painted. My money is on the theory that the X-wings were painted a not so well known mixture of white/light grey and deck tan producing an "off white" color that has aged over time. And don't forget the lighting has an effect on the color too. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back