HALF-LIFE 2 - Gravity Gun - Realistic Replica - 18.12. - VALVE HIT ME UP!

Re: HALF - LIFE 2 - Gravity Gun Replica - 27.06. - Huge Update! - It's taking shape!

Thanks mate! :)
If I'd ever stuck for too long at one of all the points I just move on to the next one. While working on all the others things you might somehow get some inspiration kick on how certain tasks could be done. Try it!

Thats what I need to do. This is the most ambitious build of anything I've ever done. I'm trying to keep it organized as not to miss a step or forget something. not having huge chunks of time to dedicate to it, makes it a little tougher too.

Re: HALF - LIFE 2 - Gravity Gun Replica - 27.06. - Huge Update! - It's taking shape!

Thats what I need to do. This is the most ambitious build of anything I've ever done. I'm trying to keep it organized as not to miss a step or forget something. not having huge chunks of time to dedicate to it, makes it a little tougher too.

The worst you could do in your case then is to stress yourself to get it ready for some kind of convention, etc.
I had a few commissions back in my casemodding days and I just couldnt't handle the stress it takes with it. Creativity (at least in my case) doesn't come and go on a daily fixed time so that's a thing I never would do again. I lost almost all the fun in casemodding since then.

Like you said, if you are dedicated to your project and want it to end up in something you are proud of don't hesitate your self in completing it in record time.

Cheers mate!

Hey everyone! :)

Again I moved a huge step forward by finishing the main body with all it's details. Only thing which is missing is the kinda-vent-looking-thingy on the upper left side of the chassis.
You know what I mean when it's done :D
Anyway, let's head straight to the update. I won't look that much of a huge step to most of you but the amount of time I've spent on detailing the body was just rediciulous!

After filling and sanding the main body it was time to bring some textures in the plain, acrylic-plated life of my buddy...
This was done by applying some kind of bondo onto the chassis which got smaller and bigger grains of sand in it. This helps to create a wonderful texture if treated right.
I did this stuff back in my years of casemodding all the time and it's just such an effective way to spice things up quite a bit.

I wanted to create an effect which gives the impression the chassis was casted in metal which a few indents and holes here and there, knocked off areas and so on.
And even though there are seam lines which more likely speak for bent and welded metal rather for casted one I really like the idea and kept it :)

_MG_4892.jpg

_MG_4894.jpg

This is hard to sand down again so I was kinda nervous when slushing it all over the chassis.
I covered all threads with some screws to keep the stuff out from there.

_MG_4896.jpg

I did let dry this for around 24 hours before I started using my belt sander to get most of it off the case again.
Since I applied it quite frequent on some areas I had to flatten them down again to avoid bigger bumps in the end result later on.

One coat of gunmetal sealed the deal for me and I was on to creating more details which helps to make it look distressed and weathered.
You can already see the texture it brings with it... ah i LOVE IT!

_MG_4900.jpg

After that I started painting the body since I just couldn't wait any longer and it's just such an relaxing tasks between all the sanding and filling.
Notice that this is just a paintjob for testing purposes to give me a feel how it could end up looking.
The rust however won't make it for me... still need to find good techniques to make this really good looking. It's too reddish too...

But see for yourself :)

_MG_4905.jpg

_MG_4992.jpg

_MG_4994.jpg

_MG_4996.jpg

_MG_4998.jpg

Please let me know what you think and don't save on criticism! I'm always open for improvement! :)

Cheeeeeers and have a nice evening,
Mario

Re: HALF - LIFE 2 - Gravity Gun Replica - 06.07. - PAINTJOB! need criticism!

That's impressive. I feel the rust is maybe this side of brown, it could be the picture the though. Great work as always. You're making some large strides.

That texture is stunning! Amazing work!

WHOAAAaa....amazing texture! I agree, maybe different browns and some patches with a little bit of light yellows and crusting adding more texture is always a bonus! KEEP IT UP! Love this rust colour and texture.

Metal_Rust_Texture_05_by_FantasyStock.jpg View attachment Rust_on_iron.jpg

Last edited:

That's impressive. I feel the rust is maybe this side of brown, it could be the picture the though. Great work as always. You're making some large strides.

Thanks man, glad you like it!
I already redid it with a few more kinda-brownish-yellow color and it just looks so much more better. The rust on the photos looks too i-want-but-cant-painted-like though...

That texture is stunning! Amazing work!

THANK YOU! :)

WHOAAAaa....amazing texture! I agree, maybe different browns and some patches with a little bit of light yellows and crusting adding more texture is always a bonus! KEEP IT UP! Love this rust colour and texture.

Hey man, I just took a look at your Iron Man switch box (sorry, couldnt remember the name) and saw you also did a great job on weathering it! :)
Thanks a lot for your feedback! I got that in mind too and applied some yellowish gradient to some of the outsides of the running rust and it just did the job. Will update as soon as I am able to.

Excellent. Can't wait to see it! I will hopefully have a small update soon as I tweaked the lighting...again.

I agree, add some lighter oranges or yellows in there to make it pop. You don't have to add much, just some light stippling. If you over do it (which you will, and that's fine) you can use a deep purple to bring it back down. Again, very light stippling will mute the brown/orange/yellow nicely.

If you'd like I'll post some photos of mine later tonight, it's sitting at the workshop on display.

I agree, add some lighter oranges or yellows in there to make it pop. You don't have to add much, just some light stippling. If you over do it (which you will, and that's fine) you can use a deep purple to bring it back down. Again, very light stippling will mute the brown/orange/yellow nicely.

If you'd like I'll post some photos of mine later tonight, it's sitting at the workshop on display.

Hey msleeper! :)

That would be a great help if you're willing to post some pictures of yours!
Anyway I didn't know that deep purple is going to bring the brighter oranges down again to brownish colors. I should have taken a look at the color wheel first of all! :D
Thanks a lot for your help, always open for improvement!

I did a much smaller scale project which required a rusted look. I bought different shades of golds and silvers and then dotted the areas with each and tried to vary as much as possible. The effect worked well. Another possibility for you.

I agree with Gixxerfool. Using different shades have helped me in the past. I once weathered a Mythbusters signed picture frame and I first used a hammered spray paint just lightly dry brushed, I love when the paint was almost dry.... this allowed for texture. I then went in with other enamel/permanent markers to add or subtract a little with a little stippling. Here was the final product and the items I used. I think I also used a yellow washable crayola too.

If I could go back to doing this again I would have added light/heavy surface scratches before starting.

IMG_2536.JPGIMG_2537.JPGIMG_2538.JPGIMG_2543.JPG

@supermaRiio Here's the photos.

UbXouKNh.jpg

ODSYiiah.jpg

g6a49Ebh.jpg

P4OM5Qph.jpg

LWM3H0Kh.jpg

Attachments

• UbXouKNh.jpg
    UbXouKNh.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 71
  • ODSYiiah.jpg
    ODSYiiah.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 75
  • ODSYiiah.jpg
    ODSYiiah.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 73
  • ODSYiiah.jpg
    ODSYiiah.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 73
  • ODSYiiah.jpg
    ODSYiiah.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 81
  • ODSYiiah.jpg
    ODSYiiah.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 93
  • UbXouKNh.jpg
    UbXouKNh.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 72
  • UbXouKNh.jpg
    UbXouKNh.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 69
  • UbXouKNh.jpg
    UbXouKNh.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 73
  • UbXouKNh.jpg
    UbXouKNh.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 68
  • g6a49Ebh.jpg
    g6a49Ebh.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 74
  • g6a49Ebh.jpg
    g6a49Ebh.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 81
  • g6a49Ebh.jpg
    g6a49Ebh.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 77
  • g6a49Ebh.jpg
    g6a49Ebh.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 72
  • g6a49Ebh.jpg
    g6a49Ebh.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 81
  • P4OM5Qph.jpg
    P4OM5Qph.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 68
  • P4OM5Qph.jpg
    P4OM5Qph.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 75
  • P4OM5Qph.jpg
    P4OM5Qph.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 68
  • P4OM5Qph.jpg
    P4OM5Qph.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 69
  • P4OM5Qph.jpg
    P4OM5Qph.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 59
  • LWM3H0Kh.jpg
    LWM3H0Kh.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 67
  • LWM3H0Kh.jpg
    LWM3H0Kh.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 84
  • LWM3H0Kh.jpg
    LWM3H0Kh.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 59
  • LWM3H0Kh.jpg
    LWM3H0Kh.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 69
  • LWM3H0Kh.jpg
    LWM3H0Kh.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 69
Last edited by a moderator:

I agree with Gixxerfool. Using different shades have helped me in the past. I once weathered a Mythbusters signed picture frame and I first used a hammered spray paint just lightly dry brushed, I love when the paint was almost dry.... this allowed for texture. I then went in with other enamel/permanent markers to add or subtract a little with a little stippling. Here was the final product and the items I used. I think I also used a yellow washable crayola too.

If I could go back to doing this again I would have added light/heavy surface scratches before starting.

That's exactly the type of rust I am heading for! I did know the technique for dry brushing to give the paint a little bit of depth but I never thought gold would add so much difference.
I will head to the artists shop today and get me some paint and see what I can come up with. Thanks a lot for sharing your pictures, the frame looks stunning.

I envy you on the signed picture ;)

I did a much smaller scale project which required a rusted look. I bought different shades of golds and silvers and then dotted the areas with each and tried to vary as much as possible. The effect worked well. Another possibility for you.

Gold is the way to go I guess. I'll give it a try today man, thanks a lot!!!!

@supermaRiio Here's the photos.
msleeper (didn't know you could do that, that's awesome haha)

I love the rust you did on the outer barrels on the back but the rust on the front is too yellowish for me tbh. It's a different kind of rust and it totally looks badass but I guess my taste goes more in the subltle and dark brownish colors instead of bright ones.
The idea of using wing nuts to secure the crystal cages is AWESOME! :)
Thanks a lot for sharing and taking your time to show me!

-----

I will upload a picture on Friday to show you what I have come up with after trying and testing a little bit :) You guys are awesome!

@msleeper (didn't know you could do that, that's awesome haha)

I love the rust you did on the outer barrels on the back but the rust on the front is too yellowish for me tbh. It's a different kind of rust and it totally looks badass but I guess my taste goes more in the subltle and dark brownish colors instead of bright ones.
The idea of using wing nuts to secure the crystal cages is AWESOME! :)
Thanks a lot for sharing and taking your time to show me!

Oh no, I 100% agree that the yellow in the front is a bit too much. If you look closely, you can see I went over it the rust in the back with the purple and black again to tone down the colors. I never wound up doing this for the front (and went too heavy with the yellow in the first place). The Gravity Gun was the first prop I built after not having built anything for a few years, so I was still getting back in the swing of things and by the time I got to the stage it's in now, I didn't have time to go back and fix things. One of these days I will go back and do some repairs and rebuilds for her!

One thing I did notice while taking the photos - If you take a look at the top of the main body in the 4th photo, you can see the paint has worn away and you can see the bare grey resin along the top. I bring my Gravity Gun to events like Maker Faire and let pretty much anyone play with it, so after 2+ years of a few hundred people holding it and taking photos and generally not being gentle, it's gotten some "realistic" weathering. (That's also why it's currently missing the front arms, they keep breaking on me!) I would add rust on those 2 edges since they're clearly getting worn down a lot.

I'm glad you like the use of the wing nuts, I hadn't seen anyone else use those before! =) With the exception of some hot glue on the crystals, everything is bolted together and can be completely stripped down. In order to access the batteries, you have to pull the entire barrel section away. If you notice, one of the wing nuts is missing. It slipped out of my hand and fell into the barrel and the rat's nest of wires, and I haven't felt like taking the whole thing apart to find it!

Rust is fascinating is difference of shade and texture. The yellow is akin to been underwater for a few days where as the darker stuff has seen the elements for extended periods. I try to think of the story behind it when I do stuff like this. I started playing the game and didn't really like it. So I'm not sure what the story Behind the gun is. I guess I'm an aperture boy at heart.

At the beginning of Episode Two, the Gravity Gun is sitting laying in a river. For whatever reason that stuck out to me when I was deciding to start building mine. So when I was deciding where and how to add my rust, I laid it on it's side and imagined where a shallow water level would be and what parts would be sitting underwater and went from there.

When building the 3D models, it became very obvious that the design sheet for the Gravity Gun was "two unrelated pieces of machinery bolted together", and I tried to keep that in mind when doing the painting. I'm not sure if you can notice in photos, but the front half and back half have two totally different shades of metallics, and I weathered them independently before putting it together and doing another pass of detail painting.

msleeper Ok. That makes sense on the rust. Great attention to detail. I was just perusing your build thread. Great work.

The texture! And the rust! It's soo beautiful!

@supermaRiio If it helps, I pulled out the paints I used for my rust.

2015-07-08 16.00.49.jpg

EDIT: I don't think the brand matters, I just tried to get the color name.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back