Need some help with an Elvish font

LizardJedi

Sr Member
So I've been on a LOTR kick latley...

And one of the projects I've had on the backburner for a while is coming to mind again.
The problem I had is that I could never figure out how to use the Tengwar fonts that I found on the interwebnets.

What I need right now, at the least, is a hi-res or vector file of the "One Ring to rule them all..." text (eventually to be used as a stencil)
Ideally, I would also want to be able to type whatever I want (so... a font) to be able to print it out big enough to use as a stencil.

I have a book that I've been going into for the grammar issues, and conjugating verbs (this was boring in school, but when its a fake language, its fun?) but when I read the how-tos on the fonts, it makes my head hurt.

Last edited:
Writing Tengwar isn't really as complicated as it seems. The problem is that some letters have different values according to the mode that you use them.

For example, vocal signs (the Tehtar) get put on the consonant that preceeds them in Quenya, but on the consonant that comes after them in Sindarin.

Understanding the "system" the letters are arranged in is really quite simple:
(I present it here according to the Quenya mode, as it is the oldest of the writing systems)

You have a row of 4 letters that form the basis: t, p, c(or k) and qu.
The are the simplest form, being made of a stem (telco) and a bow (luva) These letters are so-called voiceless stops

So it's:
t = line+open bow
p = line+closed bow
c = line+inversed bow (to the left and upside down)
qu= line+inversed closed bow

In the next line you have the same "sound basis" except that the sounds are softened, or add voice, meaning:
t turns to nd,
p turns to mb
c turns to ng
and qu turns to ngw
This step is represented by a doubling of the bow

The next step then, again, starts with the basic 4 letters, only ths time the sound is turned into a frictive, meaning:

t turns to s (th)
p turns to f
c turns to ch
qu turns to hw
This step is represented by a raised stem (above the writing line, instead of below)

The 4th step renders the nasalized versions of the original for sounds, thus:

t turns to nt
p turns to mp
c turns to nc
qu zurns to nqu

Thus, as a basis you have (in the grid the letters are usually aranged in):

voiceless stops -> normal form
voiced stops ->double bow
frictives ->raised stem
nasalized ->double bow and raised stem

Then, of course, it gets complicated, with the following letters:
n,m,r,v,y,w,rd,l,ld,s,ss and h

Argh, I just noticed that explaining (in written form) what I think is pretty straightforward and simple, isn't really simple to explain.

If you want, just send me some stuff you want to have written in Tengwar, and I'll rewrite it for you. Bear in mind tho that I only have good knowledge of Quenya, which, in the book and movies is seldom used (it's kinda like elvish latin) and not of Sindarin (the "everyday elvish") Also, there's a mode for writing English stuff in Tengwar, so I also need to know what language you want it in...

Hope I can help, one way or the other...

It might be easier to follow if you included pictures of the symbols after each explanation.

-Of course it's even easier if you just write it out for him as you offered! :lol

Nice!... that will work!

Reelo: Yeah, I'm sure it looks harder than it is... but it still makes my head hurt.
I did find a tutorial/macro thing that should help in figuring out what to type...
As I said, the grammar stuff (like the random letters) I think I can get a handle on (thanks to books and stuff) but I know the fonts themselves are wacko (you can't just type what you want in Latin letters and expect it to translate right)

...the fonts themselves are wacko (you can't just type what you want in Latin letters and expect it to translate right)

Yes, that's true, it takes some time to get used to. But there's a simple reason for this. Some letters are used for different sounds in different modes (Quenya, Sindarin, Sindarin-Beleriand, English) so the simplest solution is to arrange them on the keyboard like the grid shown on the book.

And yes, thinking of it, there should be some macro for Word, somewhere to be found on the net, where you write something, then specify the mode you want to write in, and then it changes it for you. Funny thing is, if you turn that back into a regular font, you get stuff like "v=8°#,>", which is exactly what you would have typed if you had written what you want directly using the elvish font... :)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back