Stark Personnel Extraction Transponder Replica: Captain America: TFA

Mike J.

Master Member
Has anyone ever replicated this? I'm thinking of giving it a try.

-MJ

Attachments

• shot0094.jpg
    shot0094.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 288
Looking forward to this. Nice small prop to round out a TFA display or costume!

Thanks! I'm surprised no-one else has replicated this(?). We've got a dozen or more TFA Caps, but no transponders? No Hydra batteries? Is it the lack of good references?

...Mine's probably gonna be the 'broken' one. I've guessed at the dims by comparing screencaps to my gloved hand (width of thumb). Not entirely sure what's going on with the back side, all we ever see clearly is the front. The back seems to have 5 silver screws, in addition to the two big black screws like on the front.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 11.14.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 11.14.59 PM.jpg
    842.1 KB · Views: 204
  • Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 11.15.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 11.15.32 PM.jpg
    734 KB · Views: 168
  • Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 11.17.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 11.17.00 PM.jpg
    798.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 11.17.55 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 11.17.55 PM.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 11.18.12 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 11.18.12 PM.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 158
An Armchair Analysis:

The prop has a top and a bottom. The top is the taller half with the antenna; the bottom half is shorter, with a large screw. It also has a front and a back. Those are less easy to differentiate, but the antenna & the big bottom screw seem to be on the left side, when viewed from the front. That also makes the smooth side (& screws) the right side of the front, and puts the ridges on the left side of the front. If so, then the back side of the device is 'mirrored,' with the smooth side on the left & ridges on the right.

Additionally, the back side appears to have 5 silver-tone screws (?), presumably to secure the innards & the sliding mechanics. We have a couple good pics of the front, from the auction, but no pics of the back, save screencaps.

However, the Cap's broken transponder has the antenna on the left and the smooth side on the left, which suggests it was assembled incorrectly, or something.

-MJ

Last edited:
Working on this for the past few hours... Finalized my blueprints, then started to recreate it in 3D, which is horribly frustrating since I'm so out of practice. Also, the scroll wheel on my mouse is broken and I have yet to buy a new one.

Attachments

• wip3.jpg
    wip3.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 166
Remind me never to 3D model under a deadline after a year of not touching it.

Shapeways is now charging for the space objects take up in the machine as well as the solid volume of material (depending on the material) so this was more expensive than I'd hoped, even with the free shipping. I chose the polished white strong & flexible; it has a balance between cost and fineness of detail. If I'm lucky, this first one will be good enough to keep. Just gotta paint it, stuff it with guts, and make the Stark labels for it. Found a small antenna on eBay, seems about the right length.

I did tweak some details, simplify things, etc. while I was building it.

–MJ

Attachments

• Render 2.jpg
    Render 2.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Render 3.jpg
    Render 3.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 156
Figures...

On the plus side, my tiny antenna arrived from eBay a day early. *Yay*

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 10.53.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 10.53.07 PM.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 181
Well, that wasn't too much of a delay...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 1.49.53 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 1.49.53 PM copy.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 157
"You're late."

"Couldn't call my ride."

Hard to photograph a grainy white object in my own hand, but you get the gist of it. The stair-stepping visible on the ridges is unfortunate, but not unexpected. This was about $40, and any of the nicer materials were more expensive. I'll prime it and putty it and work it over in the coming weeks. My antenna seems about the right proportions, too. Also have to get to work on the Stark 'data plates.'

-MJ

Attachments

• IMG_0369A.jpg
    IMG_0369A.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 177
The stair-stepping visible on the ridges is unfortunate, but not unexpected.

-MJ
Shapeways has a new feature that lets you choose the orientation of your object. If you had it vertical, that would reduce the stair-stepping a lot I think. It might cost more though. :unsure

Shapeways has a new feature that lets you choose the orientation of your object. If you had it vertical, that would reduce the stair-stepping a lot I think. It might cost more though. :unsure

Arrrgh! I forgot about that, and it's not ... marked in flashing red, so I must have just passed over it.

Thanks for the reminder.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back