Skyrim: Steel Axe (FINAL pg. 4!)

Re: Skyrim: Steel Axe

I was kidding because your stuff is already so good.

But it can be so much better with robots!

Where I can learn more about this "laser cutter" sorcery?

Before I got one of my own, I used Ponoko a lot. They do some excellent work there, and I still have parts cut there if the stock is too thick for my machine.

Worked some more (in between other projects) on the axe head parts. The "neck" section is coming along well. I carved out the concave section with a dremel and added a beveled cap to the end which will eventually be fitted to the rest of the handle. Also spent some time making the raised rounded accent pieces on this as well.

Weird coloring at the moment, just using different primer I've got sitting around.

7405747908_e2b8734047_b.jpg

7405748224_182b63255f_b.jpg

The axe head itself was widened around the center and got a coat of textured paint in the recessed areas. The game art shows a bit of a dotted texture to the metal here, so I'm hoping this will simulate that well.

7405748546_9a1cf3c091_b.jpg

Placed the test filigree parts on this, but the added thickness of the paint makes them sit a bit high. Might need to re-cut them in .020" styrene to get the proper look to the depth.

7405748406_58bf40ea5c_b.jpg

More time with the axe!

Got the pommel shaped, just have to add the ring above it and it's all set to go. Started with a few blocks of sintra laminated together, trimmed on a bandsaw then shaped with a dremel. Some .060" styrene was used for the accent pieces on top. The recesses will get textured paint and some inset parts similar to the axe head and neck.

7416673878_df85cd193c_b.jpg

7416672670_0801be98b9_b.jpg

Handle cut from some 2x4 stock. I added some rough notches in the end to match the game art.

7416671978_ecfeeb20a8_b.jpg

7416671680_649eaedfba_b.jpg

Lastly, got all the inlays cut, sanded, and glued into place! There's a ton of these and cleaning up the jagged edges left from the laser took some time. In the end I went with .020" styrene to sit a bit deeper into the recesses. I like the directional arrows on the top, they seem to say "swing this way"

7416672822_e15473eeff_b.jpg

7416673018_656533c4f1_b.jpg

Moving quick, should be molding this in a week or so.

Volpin, do you get your sintra locally in Atlanta, or do you order it online? I've been trying to hunt down somewhere in town to buy materials from, but it seems like every hobby shop has closed up. =\

Great looking work so far!

Volpin, do you get your sintra locally in Atlanta, or do you order it online? I've been trying to hunt down somewhere in town to buy materials from, but it seems like every hobby shop has closed up.

My sintra is scrap from sign shops, they have a whole bunch they'll toss out in various thicknesses up to 1/2" if you ask. I'd just call a few local to you and see if they have anything they don't keep.

May as well ask about styrene and vinyl while you're at it!

Everything is done and ready for moldmaking. Got the neck and pommel pieces wrapped up. Same .020" styrene over textured paint for the filigree bits. Used some furniture rivets on the neck and added a puck on top of the pommel as well.

7429836414_cb2953a07d_b.jpg

Also added a top nut onto the axe head, lathed from a puck of casting resin.

7429836582_b699f618e0_b.jpg

These were the last bits I needed to make. They'll go on top of the leather wrap next to the pommel after they're molded and cast.

7429835862_c3d5d21bdb_b.jpg

And started molding! Had to clay up all the little seams between the filigree and the background to make sure I didn't get any silicone leaking into these cracks. These small parts were a pain, but claying up the entire axe head is going to be a real treat...

7429835272_dd4572e487_b.jpg

Molding continues... The axe head is being done in Rebound 40, pommel is Mold Max 30. Doing the second halves today, should be able to pull castings by the end of the week.

7443402170_1c9840c8cf_b.jpg

7443402432_b2b9bf5207_b.jpg

7443401580_014cc31d7a_b.jpg

Yeah, that is some serious artwork! Fantastic job. I make real blades, including axes... I think you could pick up that trade pretty fast with the artistic skill you have if you are ever interested.

Yeah, that is some serious artwork! Fantastic job. I make real blades, including axes... I think you could pick up that trade pretty fast with the artistic skill you have if you are ever interested.

Definitely one day when I have a little more financial freedom to explore those possibilities. I had actually considered casting a couple of these in wax and seeing if I could get one of my metalworking friends to do a lost wax cast in steel or possibly brass. Not terribly familiar with that process though, so I'm unsure if its much of a possibility.

Molds are on their way to completion. Picked up a nasty cold today though so I'm out of the shop until I can stop sneezing...

7455552972_8b77a95f0d_b.jpg

7455552812_7836fc5f20_b.jpg

Well, lots of stuff went down the crapper recently. Apparently Rustoleum multicolored textured paint and Rebound don't act well together. The paint inhibited curing on my axe head mold, and all along the seams with the filigree I was left with a ton of air bubbles and voids.

That means this is scrap:

7472439174_e73df3886e_b.jpg

I've re-clayed it and I'm doing a block pour mold in tin cure silicone instead.

7472438096_a57c63532f_b.jpg

I already tested this material (Mold Max 40) on the neck section of the axe head to make sure it would cure. Works fine! Half of this was done in Mold Max 30 because I had a bit of it left, hence the color difference.

7472437406_da51189762_b.jpg

Handle is also finished. Some bubbling along the lower edge, but that section is covered by the leather wrap anyways so no big issue.

7472437644_be4ab26ed7_b.jpg

New head mold should be done in a couple days, then I can start assembling castings.

That sucks you had to redo those molds, especially considering how expensive that stuff is.....But the new one looks great!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back