Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Y pattern

Wow, that was quick! Beautiful work Julien!
Did you keep any of the original body?
Also, what software are you using for photogrammetry?

Fantastic work as always. So clean and sharp I nearly cut myself looking at the pictures.

butt2.PNG

I see angles here too or is it the lens.

That area should be flat so that you'll able to place your I-19 nicely,and the angles showed on the pic maybe due to shrink wrap and not done in purpose.
Just my 2cents.

Don

I would suspect that those angles are a result of mold distortion while the parts were being cast. We'd see that a lot when mold walls were too thin. Then as now, the silicone was really expensive and used sparingly. Plaster mold jackets for relatively small molds like these were rare as they added a lot of labor time. Julien is doing a great job and I appreciate his efforts to replicate the "screen used" castings but personally I prefer straight sides as was probably the design intent. That's the great thing about this hobby, there's room for all kinds of interpretations of the originals.

That looks very good, Julien. Are you trying to match the Jammer? I think the sidewalls should have an almost constant height from back to front for the Gold Ys, but for the Jammer, your CAD model looks good. :) But I guess you know all that. Getting the lower corners of the mouth correct must be difficult...

Last edited:

I would suspect that those angles are a result of mold distortion while the parts were being cast. We'd see that a lot when mold walls were too thin. Then as now, the silicone was really expensive and used sparingly. Plaster mold jackets for relatively small molds like these were rare as they added a lot of labor time. Julien is doing a great job and I appreciate his efforts to replicate the "screen used" castings but personally I prefer straight sides as was probably the design intent. That's the great thing about this hobby, there's room for all kinds of interpretations of the originals.

Yes for some angles but a lot of them have definitely be made like that.
My first Y was idealized with straight sides but it did not look right this way. :( I dont want to do the same mistake again !

Definitely made like that or accidentally made like that, either way, IMHO they look better straight and I believe the design intent would have been that they be straight. But that's the great thing about this hobby, there's lots of room for different interpretations! Nobody building these models 40 years ago would have dreamed we would be analyzing them so closely!

Ah I see. This thing really has a complex geometry... But your CAD model without the lines has a great resemblance! :)

So what is the difference in the Jammer? Is just the lower side missing the variable fillet or is it less pronounced, while the "flat" sidewalls are the same as on the Gold Ys? Was the upper part of the head cast (I think I read some part of the head was injection molded?) and is identical on red and gold Ys but they changed the geometry of the lower side before doing the Gold Ys?

Last edited:

We need a "One Stop Y-Wing Thread" stickied at the top of this forum, with helpful builds like this included. All in favor?

SB

The way these models were originally produced I would not be surprised if the base hull was a had carved piece of scrap from "something" that they just started gluing stuff too then cast as a base for all the rest then each final detailing was up to whoever picked it up... So its of little surprise that there are funky asymmetric angles all over the darn thing. They just had to be good enough for a medium long shot... which they were :).

Finding all these little quirks is part of the fun... and is one of the things that separates people that buy their models from people that build them :)

Jedi Dade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back