Bolsey #2 Yoda Lightsaber with Crystal Chamber

Luke the Belter

Hi there,

the finished crystal chamber

Yoda 40.jpg Yoda 42.jpg

I have this Bolsey #2 flash for three or four month now. Got it from "the Bay" and had to add the grips from @sjanish.

Yoda saber 01.jpg Yoda saber 02.jpg

At this point I wanted to build a crystal chamber for this saber. Very small, very challenging, some lights, no sound.

And so I went to work and cut some pieces of acrylic glass and black plastic first.
I'll use some metal parts from my spare-and-scratch-box and will see what will fit and what not.

Yoda 03.jpg

These are the first parts and a 6.10 carat emerald.
With the tools I have (small saw, rotary tool, drill) it is quite challenging to make thesse small parts, so that everything will fit in this little saber. It's a lot of fun.

Put the crystal chamber part together for the first time.

Yoda 01.jpg Yoda 02.jpg Yoda 04.jpg Yoda 05.jpg

After that I used one green 3 mm LED for a lighting test. Later on the emerald will be lighted from both sides.

Yoda 07.jpg Yoda 08.jpg Yoda 06.jpg

The crystal chamber so far. There is still much to do but I thought it would be enough to post it here.

I'll keep the pictures coming.

Yoda saber 01.jpg

Yoda saber 02.jpg

Yoda 03.jpg

Yoda 04.jpg

Yoda 05.jpg

Yoda 01.jpg

Yoda 02.jpg

Yoda 06.jpg

Yoda 07.jpg

Yoda 08.jpg

Yoda 42.jpg

Yoda 40.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Bolsey #2 Yoda Lightsaber with Crystal Chamber (WIP)

This looks great! Man, I don't know how you are working on such small parts. Very difficult
work, but I love how it's looking.

This looks great! Man, I don't know how you are working on such small parts. Very difficult
work, but I love how it's looking.
Thanks.

That is the part with the most fun [emoji6]
Ok, just kidding. It's frustrating.
The trick is to give the parts a rough form at first. Then I lay them together (e.g. the five black plastic discs) and give them the last shape all together.

Big help is a flexible shaft for the rotary tool for better handling.

so far so good! i like the black disc's you made, really makes the crystal stand out

Thanks, guys.
I really appreciate it.
Just had to do something while I'm waiting for my V2 [emoji6]

Thought that black would match the outside of the saber but am very happy with the contrast to the crystal.

Hadn't enough time to do more than a little work on the chamber.

This is how far I got.

First I had to secure the the discs so that everything stays in place. You can see in the third picture that everythin is kept in place by the small metalpin which goes through the hollow metal pipe. If I would use nuts on the threaded rods everything would be completely askew. (The hollow pipe will be used for some cales later on.)
After that I put there another disc with some tooth.

Yoda 10.jpg Yoda 11.jpg Yoda 09.jpg Yoda 12.jpg

The tooth will help to hold a PTFE tube and keep it aligned. The tube will be used to hold the electronics.

Yoda 13.jpg Yoda 14.jpg Yoda 15.jpg

Another disc which fits inside the tube and rests on the nuts. The disc has a recessed area which has the dimensions of a screwhead.
The screw is kept in place between two acrylic discs.

Yoda 16.jpg Yoda 17.jpg Yoda 18.jpg

Now I can screw the crystal chamber into the endcap of the Bolsey.

Yoda 19.jpg Yoda 20.jpg

After that it is possible to draw the crystal chamber out by unscrewing the endcap from the Bolsey.

Yoda 21.jpg Yoda 22.jpg

Not as much progress as I wish but now there are only the electronics left and something on the upperside of the chamber which should look starwarsly functional. :cool

That;s really cool, Luke The Belter! Nice work I just got some Yoda's grips and a button from sjanish hope to start work soon. BUT man your
innerds are looking might good!

I like everything about this.
Thank you.
That;s really cool, Luke The Belter! Nice work I just got some Yoda's grips and a button from sjanish hope to start work soon. BUT man your
innerds are looking might good!
The grips from sjanish are great and very easy to clean them up with an exacto.
It is quite amazing that there was such a Yoda saber hype two month ago.

I work on sabers to have them as collectible but the crystal chambers are just for relaxing and get some time for myself [emoji6]

Luke the Belter, did you do any sanding at all on the grips? I am wondering what your experiences were like, if you did need to do any sanding.

Luke the Belter, did you do any sanding at all on the grips? I am wondering what your experiences were like, if you did need to do any sanding.
No, I didn't need to sand the grips.
I just cut everything what I thought was to much away [emoji6]
I have a very sharp exacto and the edges where just fine, so I didn't sand.
I'm not sure how sanding would let them look like. T-tracks aren't as black as before after sanding, too.
They fit very good on th flash handle and I just a bit of JB-Weld to glue them.

And just to make things easier, Lukas will do and is much shorter [emoji6]

I think I have all parts together now.

Yoda 23.jpg Yoda 24.jpg Yoda 25.jpg

I started with the assembly yesterday.
The small parts, the superglue fumes and the soldering fumes gave me a really bad headach and I didn't get as far as I wished.
So I have to show you what I've achieved so far and finish it today or tomorrow. Nothing really new but the LEDs are in place, everything is soldered and the main body is finished.

Yoda 26.jpg Yoda 27.jpg

And finally I did some lighting tests with all three LEDs in place.
It's quite bright.

Yoda 28.jpg Yoda 29.jpg Yoda 30.jpg

After that I couldn't go on and had to take a pill.
Everything to do now is simple assembly and won't make my head ache again :wacko

It's done!!!

Yoda 31.jpg Yoda 32.jpg Yoda 33.jpg Yoda 34.jpg

The push button is placed in the endcap.

Yoda 35.jpg Yoda 36.jpg Yoda 37.jpg

I don't like the PTFE tube very much but it is hard to find light metal tubes with the right diameter.

Yoda 39.jpg Yoda 40.jpg Yoda 41.jpg

Yoda 42.jpg Yoda 43.jpg

And inside the saber.

Yoda 44.jpg Yoda 45.jpg Yoda 46.jpg Yoda 47.jpg

Yoda 48.jpg

That's it...

Just need one of those brass jet screw things for the top of the saber to complete it or is there something else?
And who can direct me to one of these jet screw things or a person who has some?

Thanks man.

I saw your Heiland conversion today. Would like to do one myself. Have an Heiland on the way with square holes (not perfect) and am waiting for Roys MPP shroud.
I saw in your all gang together picture that you have an Yoda saber, too. Do you know where I can get this brass screw/nut which is still missing on my saber?
Wow, that turned out great:thumbsup

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back