The Hunger Games costumes

If it were me, I'd go with the same color/different pattern. After all most people who will see your costume probably won't have picked up on all the fine details. Changing the color scheme of the entire outfit could be cool but it wouldn't look as much like the original.

Do any of you know if there are any full-length photos of either of these outfits available?
effie-trinket2.jpg

effie.jpg

And on the second one, any thoughts on what fabric that is?

Those look almost like tree bark pleats! I can't lead you to the perfect fabric but if you can match the color in a flat fabric you could send it to these guys or these guys and they should hook you up :]

Hi, I'm kind of new here...

Does anyone have either a scan or a pattern recreation of the district twelve training shirt?

The scan or a high resolution photo would be amazing as I have access to photoshop/gimp. If not I'll try my best with the images of the replica (i can't afford one and I need one for next month!)

Many thanks in advance!

3 of my friends debuted their various Katniss costumes at Emerald City Comic Con recently, and they will be wearing them again at Vancouver Fan Expo weekend after next (where I will be joining them as Haymitch).

556087_10150799131245229_512600228_11624181_1507246903_n.jpg

The Arena costume was painstakingly sourced about a month before the film came out. The jacket is the Neca repro. I made the arrows for her (the clear plastic fletching was a royal pain in the ass). The boots are Steve Madden Banddit boots.

The Hunting costume was mostly found items from thrift stores (jacket and pants), which were then altered to fit. The boots came from Amazon, had to be altered to fit, and then were recoloured using NuLife, and aged with shoe polish.

The Reaping Day dress was scratch built based off of promo photos.

Saw those at ECCC and they were AWESOME in person! Your friend in the hunting gear looks a lot like Jennifer Lawrence. It was just crazy.

Zeppo, if you attend ECCC I'd love to meet up with you some year to chat about Firefly stuff. Some of your posts about Mal's costume were invaluable to me.

Anyway, tell your friends that they did a great, great job. All of them!

3 of my friends debuted their various Katniss costumes at Emerald City Comic Con recently, and they will be wearing them again at Vancouver Fan Expo weekend after next (where I will be joining them as Haymitch).

The Arena costume was painstakingly sourced about a month before the film came out. The jacket is the Neca repro. I made the arrows for her (the clear plastic fletching was a royal pain in the ass). The boots are Steve Madden Banddit boots.

The Hunting costume was mostly found items from thrift stores (jacket and pants), which were then altered to fit. The boots came from Amazon, had to be altered to fit, and then were recoloured using NuLife, and aged with shoe polish.

The Reaping Day dress was scratch built based off of promo photos.

They look great! Well done.

Please post some photos of your Haymitch progress. My husband is doing one of his Capitol outfits.

Saw those at ECCC and they were AWESOME in person! Your friend in the hunting gear looks a lot like Jennifer Lawrence. It was just crazy.

Zeppo, if you attend ECCC I'd love to meet up with you some year to chat about Firefly stuff. Some of your posts about Mal's costume were invaluable to me.

Anyway, tell your friends that they did a great, great job. All of them!

Was going to go to ECCC, but couldn't spare the money to do so, maybe next year. Glad my Mal info could be helpful :)

I'll pass along the compliments

icys - A lot of the Haymitch costume is being made using existing things in my closet. It's not going to be 100% screen accurate to any one of his costumes in the movie, but it's inspired by this costume:
Haymitch-the-hunger-games-28818717-402-634.jpg

So here's my Haymitch

The shirt is an old Tuxedo shirt I had. I originally tried to spray it with purple fabric paint from Michael's, but the can was half empty when I bought it, and didn't cover the entire shirt. SO, I took the paint back, and bought some purple dye. Unfortunately, the colour bled into the collar which I had masked off when I was spraying the shirt. So, back to Michael's (3rd trip that day) to buy some white fabric paint to fix the collar.

The colour of the shirt isn't even, but fortunately, 95% of it is covered by a waistcoat, tie and jacket.

P4110052.jpg

The waistcoat is actually one I made years ago for a Firefly Fan Film I was involved with. Seemed appropriate for Haymitch.

P4110053.jpg

The watch chain and fob I bought at Michael's. I sprayed them with brass spray paint, and painted in the red circle, clear coated it, and sewed it onto the waistcoat. The chain and fob aren't 100% screen accurate, but I'm chalking it up to "Close enough". I'd have used my actual pocket watch for this, but I didn't make the waistcoat with pockets.

P4110054.jpg

I bought the wig on sale for $30. It was originally past my shoulders in length, but I hacked it up, mussed it and sprayed it. I think it captures that Haymitch look. (I had left it longer on my initial cut, but my friend said I looked like a scary, stern drag king).

P4110057.jpg

The jacket I've had for probably 15 years, and seemed closest to what he wears in the film. In the Haymitch picture I poseted above, the suit almost looks bluish or purplish, but I think that's just a trick of the light, as in the movie it looked more black.

P4110056.jpg

Now, I just need a handkerchief for my jacket pocket :)

Very nice Haymitch, let's see a pic with the two of you together.

I must say ( veiled reference to Firefly) very shiny!

Sebastian

That looks excellent, Zeppo! That is the version I'm working on too. I'm trying to source the accurate plaid vest fabric. If I find it and you're interested, I'll let you know where to get it.

Thanks Iycis, yeah, I would be interested to know when/if you find it :)

Also, I was thinking of a different suit that was black. I think the above suit actually is purple. The one I was thinking of, he wore with a blue shirt and black waistcoat. So...my costume is kind of a hybrid, general Haymitch style outfit ;)

Last edited:

It's funny, Cons fret about toy guns and then let real bows and arrows in.

I suppose the aluminum bow is painted composite?

Can I get your opinion on the arena jacket. I have read the reviews on amazon, but I would like your opinion. I would like to order one for my wife.

Cheers,

Sebastian

The bows were real, but the arrow weren't. The tips on both were fake - the silver one being foam, and the brown was made from paper actually. Also, any attempt to shoot the silver arrow would have been comically useless. The fletching is solid, and the arrow is back heavy, so it really wouldn't go anywhere. The back end would weigh it down, and the fletching would deflect it off the left. And yes, the aluminum bow is painted.

The Jacket looks spot on. The material is very light as well. I don't know how well it would stand up to prolonged and repeated use, but it seems sturdy enough, and my friend is quite happy with it, and I'd say it's definitely worth the money.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back