Witch King - L.O.T.R

LadyMuck

Witch King build:
I Built this Costume for halloween this year (2012) I have wanted to do this build for quite some time and I thought that if I don't do it now, I will never get the chance to.

The base of the Helm I made from cardboard. I made my own pattern, I cut all the Pieces out and hot glued them together. I used Upol to cover the entire thing...My upol job was pretty crap, but after a lil sanding I realized that it gave me a really good texture.

Last edited:
I used Styrene Sheets to cut out the plates for the "armor". I used a heat-gun to mold the styrene into shape. I used string, cardboard, even a cymbal stand to get the right shapes and curves. I just realized that I do not have any pics of this process. But I do have a shot of all the pieces together before the paint.

I sprayed every item with a silver Hammered metal paint. I used a sponge to dry brush the entire outfit with an acrylic black paint. It gave the outfit this old sooty look. And lucky for my horrible Upol job on the helm there were many groves that filled out nicely with the acrylic, giving the helm a great look.

Last edited:
Here is the final Costume! Went to a night club in that gear! The best part of my night was that people were so shocked to find out that i am a female. and then I won a bottle of jagermeister in a halloween comp. haha!

cna i ask how you did the gauntlets/gloves? They are really impressive.

Thank you, they took quite some time to make. I had never made gauntlets before so I did a lot of planning and was very lucky that my first attempt was a success. I used old MotoX gloves I had lying around. I sewed some binding to the tip of each finger to each knuckle so I could rivet each plate on individually for Maximum movement.
523387_4208270679718_1505599026_n.jpg
Each finger plate was made from Pieces of styrene that I cut out in a rectangles. The size and amount of them will depend on your hands. Im a girl so my hands are small. I then Painstakingly cut the jagged edges of each finger plate. This took some time. First I made a template then I marked each one so I could cut them with a NT cutter but realized soon that some heavy duty scissors did the job just as well.
I used a heat gun to mould each plate over a metal pipe to create the curve. I drilled a hole in each one at the opposite side of the jagged edge so I could rivet them into place. I used washers to stop the rivet from puling through the binding fabric.
For the rest of the gauntlets I cut and shaped the individual plates and moulded them with the heat-gun. I created a cardboard and rope template to make the groves in the styrene when I heated it. I riveted them together and aded velcro straps so they could strap around my hand and wrist. I sewed a piece of fabric to my gloves to go up my arm underneath the gauntlets.

Oh yes. Before I put everything together I used a hammered metal spray paint in silver and a black acrylic paint that I dry brushed over to give it a sooty look.

There are many thing I would have done differently if I had the time, like using little hinges and clasps for the gauntlets instead of the velcro.
But Im really stoked at the way it all turned out.

Hope that helps :)

thank you so much for that. There's very few posts I have copied to a text file on my computer just to make sure I dont lose them :)

Thank you, they took quite some time to make. I had never made gauntlets before so I did a lot of planning and was very lucky that my first attempt was a success. I used old MotoX gloves I had lying around. I sewed some binding to the tip of each finger to each knuckle so I could rivet each plate on individually for Maximum movement.
View attachment 265549
Each finger plate was made from Pieces of styrene that I cut out in a rectangles. The size and amount of them will depend on your hands. Im a girl so my hands are small. I then Painstakingly cut the jagged edges of each finger plate. This took some time. First I made a template then I marked each one so I could cut them with a NT cutter but realized soon that some heavy duty scissors did the job just as well.
I used a heat gun to mould each plate over a metal pipe to create the curve. I drilled a hole in each one at the opposite side of the jagged edge so I could rivet them into place. I used washers to stop the rivet from puling through the binding fabric.
For the rest of the gauntlets I cut and shaped the individual plates and moulded them with the heat-gun. I created a cardboard and rope template to make the groves in the styrene when I heated it. I riveted them together and aded velcro straps so they could strap around my hand and wrist. I sewed a piece of fabric to my gloves to go up my arm underneath the gauntlets.

Oh yes. Before I put everything together I used a hammered metal spray paint in silver and a black acrylic paint that I dry brushed over to give it a sooty look.

There are many thing I would have done differently if I had the time, like using little hinges and clasps for the gauntlets instead of the velcro.
But Im really stoked at the way it all turned out.

Hope that helps :)

Really cool build! That should look pretty awesome in person.

Also, any chance of PMing me those templates too? I would love to give them a try after finishing my current projects

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back