Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Clown

Does Santa's costume look the same as the one pictured a couple pages back that DB posted? Since the clowns appear to have varied over the years, I was curious as to whether the Santas did as well.

Nope, they are the same as the stock photos,

santa clown robot suit 005.jpg santa clown robot suit 006.jpg santa clown robot suit 007.jpg

I thought the torso rod was one continuous piece too until I rewatched my video of it moving. The bar and upper part of the rod rotate as the sliding piece pushes and pulls it. Obviously the rod screwed to the lower half isn't moving.

I don't have my clown here to check, but I'm confused now on how all that is connected, and how it's actually rotating the upper half. Can one of you help check this?

I thought the torso rod was one continuous piece too until I rewatched my video of it moving. The bar and upper part of the rod rotate as the sliding piece pushes and pulls it. Obviously the rod screwed to the lower half isn't moving.

I don't have my clown here to check, but I'm confused now on how all that is connected, and how it's actually rotating the upper half. Can one of you help check this?

I guess that I assumed the long bar was just in torsion, simply twisting the bar allowing for the body to sway in one direction and then the bar untwists to make it sway in the opposite direction. The rod screwed to the lower half just limits the amount of torsion and stabilizes the upper half.

I'm not at home right now, but I will check as soon as I can.

Thanks for the info / photos. For as much as that bar rotates, I'm pretty sure it's not possible if it were welded to the lower body rod. Which then gets me wondering how it's connected, and how it's actually creating the rotation around that rod. I guess I never studied this part too closely until now .. color me confused

PS - Second clown is delivered tomorrow morning. Apparently they had a digit in my phone number wrong, and have been trying to reach me for a few days .. sigh

Last edited:
Guys, I think I officially need an intervention. Meet the newest member of our family, getting ready to be shipped:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442453589.473465.jpg

Fantastic shape overall, similar vintage as the movie clown. I think that's actually the same suit as the Night of the Comet clown too (which is so faded that the orange is barely noticeable). You can't see in the photo, but it has the original wheels, and the power is actually brought out to a socket on the back of the base (perhaps explaining the box-style base's existence). Hair is obviously more reddish .. seems like hair on these things changed all the time.

PWF - Ask and ye shall receive ..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442453994.604243.jpg

Time to go buy a lottery ticket (or a straight jacket) ..

Wow! Another nice find. I am especially happy to finally see the tag!! You will officially have the most creepy home in your neighborhood by most people's standards!

So.......wait a minute, is this the live auctioneers clown that arrived early?,(today), or is this a third one, because this one doesn't match the auction photos.

This is a third one I stumbled on almost by accident. The owner got it from a lady who won it in a game show (and also called it Boom Boom). Should arrive in a week or two.

PWF - Creepy house indeed - just wait till they're all plugged in for a group photo (a coworker suggested putting knives in their hands) .. ;)

He he he. If amassing animated mechanical advertising robots is wrong, I don't wanna be right. ;)

I figure this clown will provide all the rest of the measurements and material/part IDs that have been mysteries. I'm sure once I've gotten use out of the others and cleaned/restored them up, I'll need to sell one or both (for space if nothing else).

He he he. If amassing animated mechanical advertising robots is wrong, I don't wanna be right. ;)

OK, DB. This totally cracked me up. Yes, it is SO WRONG on so many levels. That's why I LOVE IT! I see an animated mechanical advertising robot convention in your future. That would go over great in Austin. Congrats on having triplets. -- BB

PS: Our posts crossed. That looks great, Kev! Nice job.

Second clown arrived today. Some cracking to the face as they described, the rest isn't too bad (just needs to be cleaned). Good candidate for molds anyway.

PWF - What did you use to repair the cracks in your clown's head? I'm guessing plastic glue and maybe some filler/sanding. Forgot to ask too - are you planning to paint your clown's head like it was originally (since you're restoring it)? Or paint it like the Pee Wee clown? I personally don't like the quick and dirty paint/glitter job on these newer clowns, but I think I might do it on the originals for restoration sake.

BB - Sounds good to me! I suspect South Austin would love these clowns, maybe I'll peddle my extras there when the time comes ..

PWF - What did you use to repair the cracks in your clown's head? I'm guessing plastic glue and maybe some filler/sanding. Forgot to ask too - are you planning to paint your clown's head like it was originally (since you're restoring it)? Or paint it like the Pee Wee clown? I personally don't like the quick and dirty paint/glitter job on these newer clowns, but I think I might do it on the originals for restoration sake.

I used plastic glue and filler. I haven't decided if I am going to doing anything additional to the original head or not. I will likely just replace it with a reproduction resin head and use the original color scheme and glitter.

I've wanted to set up a bike and clown down on South Congress for a while and set up a hidden camera situation.

Maybe even have someone show up with chain cutters and "steal" the bike.

My kind of performance art. :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back