The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

SK,

Would this information be better either on the Parts Map thread or as a separate thread on it's own? I don't really mind it being here but if someone were looking for the information it might get kind of buried along with everything else.

An update - casting of the L'Eggs, canopies and torpedo bay shells continues... I'm expecting the 3D printed detail parts for the tail shrouds back from Shapeways in another week or so, once I check the fit then I'll be able to mold the shrouds and start casting those parts.

Getting decent 3D printed parts of the forward fuselage shells has been a bit of an ordeal. I rejected two sets of prints from Shapeways due to the parts being warped and not the same size. At this point I'm sending them the files to Hong Kong to be printed by the same company that does the excellent parts for Industria Mechanika's resin kits. The cost is almost triple what Shapeways charges but it will be worth it to get clean sharp prints from which to mold and cast. Even though the cost for 3D printing is higher I'm goin to keep the price of the fuselage shell set the same at $125.

More news as events warrant...

hi Dave , i am doing a similar project but in the Ma.k universe , your work is truly inspiring , is it possible for you to send me the contact of the Hong Kong company ?
i ma preparing a new thread here in RPF regarding my project , but you can see in this forum http://maschinenkrueger.com/forum/index.php?topic=9768.0

thanks in advance ...and great job

Eager to see those 3-D printed parts from H-K. ;)

Me too! Unfortunately the HK printers are VERY busy. They do a lot of work for Sideshow, Hot Toys, Disney Consumer Products and others. Lead times can be up to six weeks :eek. But it'll be worth it for the quality. In the mean time I'm casting, casting casting. Also an member here has very generously loaned me a lot of the kit parts to mold and cast. So that's got me busy too. The printed parts for the engine shrouds are due in any day as well.

Last edited:
I got the 3d printed tail shroud test parts in from Shapeways. They came outreally nice. I used their Extreme detail Plastic to print them. The Tail Shroud was based on a digital scan of the L'Egg and is actually a pattern to be molded and cast as part of the parts run, once I add the platting pieces around the outside.

IMG_1877.jpg

the horizontal (Sealab crane) control vanes printed beautifully but the piping is a bit thin, so I'm modifying the file and will get another test print. the bottom part are the shock absorber looking thingees that go in the brackets at the end of the Tee struts. I joined them together in sets of four to reduce printing costs.

IMG_1874.jpg

The original plan was to upload the 3D printing files to the repository so that everyone can get their own parts printed, and I will still be doing that. But, the cost to print two sets of parts for one model is a little over $80. I'm still going to upload the files once I'm sure they fit the cast shrouds, but I'm looking into some other methods of producing the parts that could drop the cost to around $50 for two sets, including the vertical control vane. If that looks like a viable option I will post an interest thread in the Junkyard. I didn't really want to get wrapped up in producing lots small parts but $80 is kind of pricey for just a few details, and probably not a lot of people have two Sealab kits lying around for donor parts!

Last edited:
A generous RPF member (would would like to remain anonymous) was very kind to loan me a b**t load of kit parts to mold! These pics represent maybe a quarter of the parts he sent. There's also some non-Y parts in the stash as well. Many thanks to this member!

IMG_1907.jpg IMG_1897.jpg IMG_1900.jpg

Last edited:
Jason - I have no intention of selling packs of kit parts. For Several reasons...

1) The (very generous) loan of parts was in the spirit of sharing, not for me to exploit by selling castings.
2) It would be (very) un-cool of me to try to jump in and sell kit part sets when you have already got that in the works.
3) It's waaaaay to much work!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back