Firefly X-K427 - 1/20 Scale

Great Job on the model.
Which scanner do you find your self using more? The Creaform Exacan or the David Scanner?
I have the David scanner with an industrial usb camera and I still find it hard to get a good scan from an entire parts tree or even smaller individual parts.

For sure the. est forum to present your most amazing project, my friend!
I'm every time amazed by your progress and feel honoured to contribute a bit (but guru in the world of Ma.K. ? C'Mon on!)

I feel like this is the coolest Ma.K. project I've seen for years...!!!

Keep it coming ☺️

Hi mash3d

with out a doubt the EXAscan , but we use also the david ,after we bought the automatic turn table , the scans became more friendly , but i prefer the Exascan , its the difference between 30k to 2k :)

i am looking for our next investment the COMET L3D from Steinbichler

I'm so excited to make one when you are done. That 1/35th lit one is mine :)

it will be an honor having this crazy project built by you Jason , thanks for your support and for having the patience to endure all the request from the customs , it was almost three months to have that kit cleared form those guys

and the photo that i put in the beginning of the thread was on purpose :) everyone knows that is your piece

Shame this had to be moved out of the Studio Scale section as the methodology, tools, techniques and scale are definitely more relevant there than to the majority of kit builds in the general modeling section. Oh well... I'm just glad I found it. Zap, your work is amazing! I especially like the reverse engineering of the existing kit and donor parts. And this might push me over the edge into getting a Form2! Keep up the good work.

Shame this had to be moved out of the Studio Scale section as the methodology, tools, techniques and scale are definitely more relevant there than to the majority of kit builds in the general modeling section. Oh well... I'm just glad I found it. Zap, your work is amazing! I especially like the reverse engineering of the existing kit and donor parts. And this might push me over the edge into getting a Form2! Keep up the good work.

hi Dave , thanks for your kind words, i don´t want to upset anyone here , but in my heart this is a Studio scale Model transformation ;)

we still have a lot to do , and the Form 2 is helping a lot , its a incredible printer

02.jpg01.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg

One thing that I think the studio scale models guys might be interested in is the ability to scan old parts and reprint them.
If I had access to a really good scanner I would scan parts from kits and build up a library of parts.
So far I've had to settle for making a 2d scans of a part tree and building the parts by hand in 3d.
Then again maybe hunting down and finding the old model kits is part that the studio scale guys enjoy.
I'm sure a lot of the kits are starting to get hard to find.
My hats off to them, that's a level of OCD I haven't achieved yet. :)

Start up a conversation Kow Yokoyama and Hasegawa.
Maybe they would be interested in mass producing the kit.
You've done most of the engineering for them already.

Zap can probably speak to this as well but, unfortunately, the scan-to-print pipeline is not like a xerox machine, at least not yet. Even with a high resolution scan it takes a fair amount of work to "reverse engineer" back to 3D model that can be used to make a high quality print. And the software used, Design X or Polyworks is VERY expensive. But the process is getting easier as things develop. 3D printed parts may not please some of the SS purists but it is the future of the hobby. Some RPF members are already using sites like GrabCad to make part files freely available.

One thing that I think the studio scale models guys might be interested in is the ability to scan old parts and reprint them.
If I had access to a really good scanner I would scan parts from kits and build up a library of parts.
So far I've had to settle for making a 2d scans of a part tree and building the parts by hand in 3d.
Then again maybe hunting down and finding the old model kits is part that the studio scale guys enjoy.
I'm sure a lot of the kits are starting to get hard to find.
My hats off to them, that's a level of OCD I haven't achieved yet. :)

Start up a conversation Kow Yokoyama and Hasegawa.
Maybe they would be interested in mass producing the kit.
You've done most of the engineering for them already.

hi mash3
the reverse engineering is a very time consuming and expensive process , the software is very expensive , the man hours you have to dedicate to be able to perform this type of work is crazy , but if someone wants to be good at something the dedication is crucial :) so its not only to have a good scanner , its to have the right formation and the right software

regarding the production of kit , that is very complicated , this is a project of that started as a Passion for modeling and also to increase our professional capabilities having fun

i must speak with the owner of this incredible design , Kow Yokoyama-San to ask his permit and authorization to make o short run of kits , of course if we can achieve that

thanks for your feedback

This Mak design is 'borrowed' from an old Hasegawa kit called Operation Omega.
The original was based on a space shuttle

http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com/OperationOmega-LunarExplorer.html

Jim

i think that is the very opposite Jim , this design belongs to Kow Yokoyama , if you dig deep you will find the story behind the kit from Hasegawa , but surly , someone in this forum can bring light to that issue

thanks for watching

- - - Updated - - -

you are absolutely right Dave :)

hi Guys

just another print test , the objective is to print all the parts to make the first prototype , this way we will see the errors and will be better correct them ,this is raw print IMG_6810.jpgIMG_6811.jpgIMG_6812.jpgIMG_6817.jpgIMG_6818.jpg

Love this. Glad I found it. Incidentally, 1/20 is considered the studio scale for SF3D/Maschinen Krieger. It is the scale used in the Nutrocker short movie and Hobby Japan magazine story/dioramas spanning from 1982-1986.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back