Metal Movie Cap Shield on a budget **DONE!! FINAL PICS ON PAGE 4

oh never mind my bad

but i couldn't find how to cut the slots. was it done with a rotary tool? Im thinking about drilling holes and then file them smooth.

Last edited:
Man my questions are endless!
Can I have a link for what kind of mounting tape because in my mind I'm thinking of like thin sticky eva foam but when I think of that it seams like it would look wierd with the aluminum not flush with the steal. Does that make sense at all?
Finally with my early experiences using regular epoxy I always have it oozing out the sides. So should I apply the JB weld on the entire area of the back of the star or in small drops? Sorry, I know these Are dumb questions.

Here is a link on a you tube tutorial for the shield but this person doesn't do the brackets he just uses screws and belts
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wg8Ch6L_-Y

ps I've been posting all my questions before I'm going to start because I would hate to mess up the third time ,so thanks for the answers valor and Kevin

See Post 29

Valor,

I'm working on acquiring all the components needed to carry out this project and doing a write up / documentation of it in "chronological" order. Do you mind me linking to the posts containing your blueprints and schematics as long as I give you credit in the write up?

Thank you for making the information available for all.

Man my questions are endless!
Can I have a link for what kind of mounting tape because in my mind I'm thinking of like thin sticky eva foam but when I think of that it seams like it would look wierd with the aluminum not flush with the steal. Does that make sense at all?
Finally with my early experiences using regular epoxy I always have it oozing out the sides. So should I apply the JB weld on the entire area of the back of the star or in small drops? Sorry, I know these Are dumb questions.

Here is a link on a you tube tutorial for the shield but this person doesn't do the brackets he just uses screws and belts
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wg8Ch6L_-Y

ps I've been posting all my questions before I'm going to start because I would hate to mess up the third time ,so thanks for the answers valor and Kevin

You're looking for 3M outdoor mounting tape. It's a thin foam tape

I usually apt a line of JBWeld down each of the five points of the star and a small blob in the middle. Keep away from the edges.

3M outdoor mounting tape is a pretty common item at Auto Parts stores. It's also called "tesa tape," or "moulding mounting tape." The best practice for this tape is to apply it to one surface, flat roll the tape (that is: use a flat, firm roller to press down hard and evenly on the tape) onto that surface to activate the bonding surface, peel the backing off the top side and apply to the receiving surface, again flat rolling the bond.

Buy the way valor, where you able to get rid of those smears off or out of the clear coat. And can you tell me the name of the buckle you used or post a link.

I would be very happy :D

Last edited:
The buckles are called Conway buckles. The clear coat issues (I believe) was that I was using a clear lacquer, which takes forever to cure. I switched to a acrylic clear and had no problems.

Buy the way valor, where you able to get rid of those smears off or out of the clear coat. And can you tell me the name of the buckle you used or post a link.

I would be very happy :D

Man I'm so glad you don't have to know how to cast/forge vibrainium to make one of these and I've got Labor Day weekend to work on it.:):D:cool;):p:rolleyes:thumbsup

Last edited:
Valor,

After switching to the acrylic clearcoat, did your paint dull and require the sanding / waxing technique mentioned previously?

If you want a high-gloss, wet sanding and polishing will be necessary for any clearcoat – acrylic or lacquer.

Valor,

After switching to the acrylic clearcoat, did your paint dull and require the sanding / waxing technique mentioned previously?

Last edited:
Did any body have a big head ache with citristrip I don't know if I'm not letting it sit long enough but it's not wrinkling or any thing it only softens the surface and takes so much to just scratch it off

Did any body have a big head ache with citristrip I don't know if I'm not letting it sit long enough but it's not wrinkling or any thing it only softens the surface and takes so much to just scratch it off

Yeah that's what it was like for me. It took a lot of effort. But I got it off. But it took a few hours.

When I did my Captain America heater shield, I had to strip the paint on the front after I had some paint creep under the stickers used for the stars (final paint step, too). I used Citristrip. The key for me was to lay on a thick coat, let it sit for a long time (I let it sit for 6 hours), and use a green Scotch pad instead of a scraper. It went though several coats of paint in no time.

Does anyone know where to find the shield sticker on the back? There was a run for a while, but it is gone now.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back