Thor is a woman

Re: Thor has been transgendered

I saw a cover that's been teased for a few months with Steve Rogers as an old man, Falcon with Cap's shield and Thor with an Axe and not with armor. I guess it's because he loses Mjolnir.

So, Bucky Barnes takes up the shield and calls himself Cap and everyone's cool with it, but a woman picks up Mjolnir and the internet loses its collective mind. Got it.

People take on the personas of other heroes all the time. This is a temporary thing, during one storyline but people are acting like it's the end of the world. If the writing's good, I'll pick it up. If it's not, I won't... just like any other comic. This is just another example of people making a situation into a tempest in a teacup.

Far more concerning to me than a woman calling herself Thor for a while is the fact that Marvel decided to release this news on The View. Yeah... because a lot of female comics readers watch those harpies on a daily basis... :facepalm

I'm not surprised.
In a universe that allows for a black Spider-Man anything is possible.

Miles_Morales_is_Spider-Man.jpg

I wonder if Spiderman 2099 knows that kid stole his costume lol Seriously that design really does look like the 2099 design. At least this Thor isn't the same thor but turned into a woman. To me this is no different than when they had that female Punisher running around for a while.

So, Bucky Barnes takes up the shield and calls himself Cap and everyone's cool with it, but a woman picks up Mjolnir and the internet loses its collective mind. Got it.

People take on the personas of other heroes all the time. This is a temporary thing, during one storyline but people are acting like it's the end of the world. If the writing's good, I'll pick it up. If it's not, I won't... just like any other comic. This is just another example of people making a situation into a tempest in a teacup.

Far more concerning to me than a woman calling herself Thor for a while is the fact that Marvel decided to release this news on The View. Yeah... because a lot of female comics readers watch those harpies on a daily basis... :facepalm

See, it's that last bit that makes me just think this is a bunch of publicity B.S., rather than an actual attempt to create quality material for women. For the record, I find the "OMG CAP IS DEAD AND BUCKY IS CAP!!" stuff to be just as eye-roll inducing, since you KNOW that eventually the status quo will return. And this isn't just Marvel. DC does it, too. The Flash was dead for, like, 25 years, and they brought him back and rebooted the whole universe. Batman died, except, JUST KIDDING, he didn't. And so on and so forth.

So this stuff just ends up all being little more than stunts and, while it can sometimes lead to good stories, it just strikes me as a weak attempt at grabbing headlines. I don't care that Thor is a girl now. Thor was a FROG for chrissakes, and I didn't care. But I do care about what appears to be yet another case of little-more-than-tokenism. I'm all for creating more material for women, especially if young MEN end up reading it and maybe learn a little something in the process. But announcing your big change on stuff like The View? That says one thing to me: Cheap. Marketing. Stunt.

Just reflective of a society that doesn't know what the hell it is anymore. So, in that sense, I guess it fits.

I agree, if anything the link to the View will have cost disney/marvel credibility in this announcement.

But announcing your big change on stuff like The View? That says one thing to me: Cheap. Marketing. Stunt.

Completely agree but it's working. I saw this story on two TV news programs this morning. This will get publicity up the wazoo. But yeah, The View​, good lord.

I've been reading all sorts of arguments for or against the change. I still can't decide where I fall.

I think that if we go waaaaaaay back to when everyone believed that Don Blake was just a normal guy who got the powers with the hammer and his worthiness, the story can make sense. Imagine that Blake was not Odin's son brainwashed and plunked on Earth. Imagine he was a regular earthling who inherited the mantle. Imagine he lost his worthiness for whatever reason (ego?). Imagine Thor as a role, not a person. Then it all makes sense. It's just the last few decades that mess with it ;)

Conceptually, I like the idea of a woman being worthy to wield the hammer. I'm just not sold on Thor the name vs. Thor the job.

No major change is permanent (except for Gwen Stacy's death).
Thor will inevitably recover the mighty Orbs of Testicles and return to his old self ... sans mams.

I've been reading all sorts of arguments for or against the change. I still can't decide where I fall.

I think that if we go waaaaaaay back to when everyone believed that Don Blake was just a normal guy who got the powers with the hammer and his worthiness, the story can make sense. Imagine that Blake was not Odin's son brainwashed and plunked on Earth. Imagine he was a regular earthling who inherited the mantle. Imagine he lost his worthiness for whatever reason (ego?). Imagine Thor as a role, not a person. Then it all makes sense. It's just the last few decades that mess with it ;)

Conceptually, I like the idea of a woman being worthy to wield the hammer. I'm just not sold on Thor the name vs. Thor the job.

Continuity hasn't ever been Marvel's (or DC's) strong point, they either reboot entire universes or just ignore past storylines (like X-men ignores most of the 80s stuff that was good).

When I first heard of this, all I could think of was this image:

All I saw at first was the top 3/4 section of the pic and then scrolled and saw the type. I'm glad I wasn't taking a drink when I saw it, or I would have sprayed the screen. :lol

Remember when Peter Parker "died" and Doc Ock took over as Spider-Man? Marvel said Parker was dead for good, this is how it going to be, get used to it. The internet was outraged. Then the ASM2 movie came out and Parker was restored to being Spidey in the books, same thing will happen with Thor. When Avengers 2 is in theaters next year Thor will be a man in the comics again.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back