Two Captain America Heater Shields (pic heavy)

Steve, I picked up the shields from the shop today. The guy that handled my order got a real kick out of it - told me they recently handled a job for Marvel's premier of Spiderman 2, and that one of his employees built an Iron Man suit.

Anyway - your dwg images were perfect. Brought one into my office after visiting the shop, and blew the minds of two friends (one a former machinist, the other a 50 year old comic geek). Couldn't have achieved these results without your help - thanks once again!

Next steps - electrostatic paint, strap hardware, and starting my own Cap A Rescue Version thread.

DSC_0032_zps9vfaf2dy.jpg

Hey Steve,

Any chance I could get a set of brackets and straps from you?

I already have your TFA brackets and straps, together with the star.

I really need to get both shields on my wall.

Bob

what was the exact paint used in making the smithsonian version? I've recently acquired a heater shield and will be painting it myself. Do you have any templates for star placement? Or just general paint color info?

thanks!

I used Duplicolor Metalcast. It's found in most Automotive stores. Its a transparent paint that mimics an anodized finish. It's what people are using for the round movie shields. You apply it over clean metal.

In regards to the heather shield tho, what colors were used? I've already got a completed round shield, I"m looking to finish my own heater shield though.

In regards to the heather shield tho, what colors were used? I've already got a completed round shield, I"m looking to finish my own heater shield though.

I answered your question. On the "Smithsonian" shield (the one with blue stripes) I used Duplicolor paints. On the red, white and blue one, I don't remember the paints.

Valor, just searching info how to attache the brackets, I saw this one of yours and that's how I want to do with my classic cap shield. Instead of what everybody are doing ( movie version) I prefer the way, like in the comics.
here are some questions and I would be grateful if you could help me out.

Where can i get these, how thick are they and how can I cut them or where can i get them cutted or it can be acceptable to use less thickness ones ? ( brackets )
did you used jb, tape to glue it ?
hows the process of attache the bolts?

Okay ... well, let me try to answer that. I don't know where you can get them. I had a local lasercutter make them for me. That same company used an industrial roller to curve the shields. You might want to research laser cutting, or waterjet cutting in your area. Mine are almost 1/4" thick, you can make yours thinner if you wish. I used 3M Outdoor Mounting Tape to attach the brackets to the shields. THe bolts are attached to the brackets by drilling a hole and tapping threads into it for the screws.

Steve

Valor, just searching info how to attache the brackets, I saw this one of yours and that's how I want to do with my classic cap shield. Instead of what everybody are doing ( movie version) I prefer the way, like in the comics.
here are some questions and I would be grateful if you could help me out.

Where can i get these, how thick are they and how can I cut them or where can i get them cutted or it can be acceptable to use less thickness ones ? ( brackets )
did you used jb, tape to glue it ?
hows the process of attache the bolts?

Thanks a lot Valor for your help, really appreciate it.

last question, praying I'm not bothering you.
I'm painting my shield with duplicolor anodized ( red and blue ), and I know there's no such thing as white anodized color. So what kind of white could go "matching " with the duplicolor ones? White pearl..., white metallic..., or even solid white mix with silver powder...?
Do you have any better suggestion ?

thanks a lot again

I prefer letting the clean unpainted metal serve as the "white". I don't have experience with the other paints you mention.

Last edited:
Valor, your shields look =amazing= and I am so glad I found this thread! It's answered almost every question I have about making a shield. I just have one more quick one that I need to ask to clarify a detail; Is it 19 1/2 inches flat, or 19 1/2 edge to edge after it's curved?

Thanks!

That is the flat dimension.

Valor, your shields look =amazing= and I am so glad I found this thread! It's answered almost every question I have about making a shield. I just have one more quick one that I need to ask to clarify a detail; Is it 19 1/2 inches flat, or 19 1/2 edge to edge after it's curved?

Thanks!

Also, here's the images of the actual notes Steve had taped to his USO shield if you want them.View attachment 323883
Hi Valor! Fantastic work on the shield project. As I’m working on a set up for myself and a friend as well, I was wondering if it’s possible To get a copy of the scan of the cue card notes so I can have those printed out? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi Valor! Fantastic work on the shield project. As I’m working on a set up for myself and a friend as well, I was wondering if it’s possible To get a copy of the scan of the cue card notes so I can have those printed out? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Of course. Here you go.

Attachments

• shieldnotes.jpg
    shieldnotes.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 120
Of course. Here you go.
Thank you so much man! After I asked, I looked back up in this thread and realized that you had in fact posted the JPEG there so I had grabbed it from that already. But again thank you very much! The project is looking good so far… and I always wanted to go that extra mile and put caps notes inside the shield but was afraid we would have to try to re-create it from scratch so again, thank you so much for posting this it’s a huge huge help!

I just ran into this and I think I found my next project. I've always been intimidated by the round shield but may take a closer look at this and try my hand at it! Thanks for all the files you've already provided, I can tell they've helped a ton

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back