Shmouzer's Cap Shield

Shmouzer

So I've gotten my brackets from Valor and my shield from Rolo and I'm going to head out to the store and get the supplies I need to start putting the backets on the back and hopefully paint today(maybe?).

EDIT: So I've ordered everything online, it seemed easier than traveling to several different stores for each different item.

I plan on clear coating the back, the star, and the brackets first. Then, mounting the brackets onto the back of the shield. After this I'll be cleaning the front of the shield with acetone and taking my attempts at painting the shield. Hopefully I don't do too terribly and can get it in a few goes.

Would painting this on a mounted rig, vertically, in my yard prove any trouble? I could also lay some plastic down on the backyard table and get it done flat but that could prove more difficult.

Just ready and waiting for the supplies to get here that I've ordered, then I'll start up with some pictures in here.

I wanna just mount the brackets now and run around with the shield, honestly.

Last edited:
Good luck with the painting! The only concern I would have with painting it outdoors is possible breezes and dust/debris that could hit your shield as you paint it. Painting Horizontal or Vertical is your choice. Some of us do horizontal some do vertical.

Paint the front of the shield before mounting your brackets. Easier and lighter to handle while painting.

Good luck with the painting! The only concern I would have with painting it outdoors is possible breezes and dust/debris that could hit your shield as you paint it. Painting Horizontal or Vertical is your choice. Some of us do horizontal some do vertical.
Yeah I was thinking that too, but my yard isn't all that big anyway. I could do it in my shed, which is also small, but I don't think it'd go well in there with spray paint.

Paint the front of the shield before mounting your brackets. Easier and lighter to handle while painting.
Yeah I can imagine. I'll go with getting the paint on the front right first.

So here we have my attempt at the taping the star and shield off for the blue coat. I did two quick light duplicolor blue coats and one heavy one to finish. Was pretty easy. Got a bubble or two I think from getting too excited. Might do in my shed next time to prevent what I think to be some dust from falling onto the shield due to winds, which was drakeprimes concern haha let's see how it looks tomorrow and if I have to redo the blue, I feel like I will.

NOTE: There's a small spec in each picture from my phones camera, which is chipped, so ignore that. :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
10524306_10152998347828079_245312539508762466_n.jpg10441907_10152998347948079_6063905595281285932_n.jpg

All dried and cleaned up. The ring is a bit uneven which doesn't surprise me because I had a hard time taping it off. Blue looks pretty even and as dark as I'd like it honestly. I'm gonna make some red ring attempts soon, maybe later today, to see if I can get that done well. Might get an exacto knife to cut the tape through the grooves like I saw someone mention seeing as I had a hard time with that. Any comments/tips? Thanks everyone!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back