Help w/ duplicating inscriptions ["Breaking Bad", "The Shawshank Redemption", etc.]

lharles

Sr Member
So, I need some help folks. Something which seems simple enough but which my searches on the forum came up empty for & which I haven't found an effective method for, personally.

Duplicating inscriptions in books used as props.
-
[A while back I created a paper prop, a sort of amalgam list of Earl's list from "My Name Is Earl"...& wound up spending quite a bit of time creating a FONT of Earl's handwriting after repeatedly failing at any attempts at a passable copy of the handwriting on the list. Just an example of how I've found I'm completely incompetent at duplicating handwriting...when it's someone elses.]

-
Basically, since I can't really print the duplicated inscriptions on the interior of the book(s), (the Shawshank bible is the one in particular that I'm currently working on but the Walt Whitman poetry is next on the list after that), I'd like to know what suggestions other folks have or what methods they might have used. I've considered carbon paper or a light box, (the light box in particular wouldn't be effective with the Bible as the inscription page is backed by a black, textured paper), but haven't come up with somethin' that just WORKS to this point.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what input others have.

Thanks in advance for any help or assistance! :)

Re: Help w/ duplicating inscriptions ["Breaking Bad", "The Shawshank Redemption", etc

I am not sure if this will work for you but my suggestion would be to use a whole sheet sticker paper, print on it and then stick it on the cover.

Re: Help w/ duplicating inscriptions ["Breaking Bad", "The Shawshank Redemption", etc

If you're going REALLY low tech, you could print off the inscription on a separate sheet of paper and trace it so you make an very light indentation on the appropriate page. Then go back and write over the indentation in the correct color pen. It would be like using carbon paper without the mess.

Otherwise, you could experiment with a projector to shine the writing onto the page... or find similar paper and print everything on it and rebind the book...

Last edited:

Or just practice imitating the handwriting until you think you have it.

Yeah, that too, of course. I practiced the "Grail Diary" handwriting for so long that it became my default handwriting; I can still see it in my "r" and "m" letters...

I am not sure if this will work for you but my suggestion would be to use a whole sheet sticker paper, print on it and then stick it on the cover.

Not a terrible idea, by any means. I'd be tentative about that one due to the fact that I cannot accurately place an adhesive backed object any other way than crooked, first pass. :D

Thanks for the input. Sincerely. :)

- - - Updated - - -

If you're going REALLY low tech, you could print off the inscription on a separate sheet of paper and trace it so you make an very light indentation on the appropriate page. Then go back and write over the indentation in the correct color pen. It would be like using carbon paper without the mess.

Otherwise, you could experiment with a projector to shine the writing onto the page... or find similar paper and print everything on it and rebind the book...

Good idea. I might test this out on a couple surfaces first, but it's not something I'd taken into consideration before... :)

Thanks very much for the input! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Or just practice imitating the handwriting until you think you have it.

I could certainly try that, I suppose. {Based on the number of wonderfully accurate paper props you've produced, Kurty, I suspect this is a process very familiar to you? I'd be lucky to have as steady a hand as you, I suspect. :D }

Considering my previous attempts at handwriting duplication for props...I don't know that I'd be very good at it, even AFTER practice. :) I'll give it a go though...

...and thank you for the input. Much appreciated.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back