Bandai release schedule

Like I said. Pay the higher fee and bring us models that are of higher quality and affordable--as others have done. And, boy, if people are cutting tooling and spending money to redo CAD drawings and such, it sounds like one of those "penny wise and pound foolish" things. Save on a license and spend more on redoing. If they can't afford to do it right, how can they afford to do it over and over again. The bottom line (and since we're talking about money, it is the economics textbook definition of bottom line) is they should be able do this. There is no evidence that whatever Bandai pays is making it hard to make good affordable models.

I am not sure if or how big of a difference it would have been to get another tier, maybe there was no difference. Maybe they just decided that the choosen tier would be that what meets their needs.
Producing the sprues is cheap, with lesser details and less cooling time even cheaper. Making a injection casting mold is expensive, more detailed more expensive. Maybe it was just their decision that it was good as it is, as they do it again and again.

Is Revell able to bring kits that can compete qualitywise with every other company? Yes, without a doubt.
Do they try it? No, there is no try in that direction.

They just aim for the mass market, which is strangely NOT the common experienced modelbuilder. It´s kids, teenager building kits, parents and grandparents buying kits as a gift.

Do i like that? Hell, no.

I would gladly pay $2-300 for an accurate bandai 1/72 ANH falcon.

Considering the alternative, that would be a steal

It depends - if their definition of "accurate" would be the same as between the Bandai and the Finemolds 1/72 X-Wing ...... no, no Bandai for me.

But i would love to see them bringing out the 72 MF, and a big SD - and be it only to have the chance to see them closeup and then to decide to refrain from having it, or putting it on the stash.

The reason was probably more of a cost factor that a "we have to make it look crappier because of our license" factor. It may have used too much paint, may have required extra steps etc.. all which impact the margin for profit

I would have suspected the same - but the paint was Revell approved, before sending it to LFL. With done sprues waiting for paint this was nothing than a cost factor in the wrong direction. Having all the kits and then hold up for a stupid comment/approval from LFL ....... on PAINT? I´m glad i don´t have to deal with such stupid things.

That´s the reason why i understand (even i don´t like it) the many release problems Anovos has.

I say this. Revell's kits are generally a vast improvement over most of the old MPC/AMT/ERTL kits, but they just cannot compete with Bandai kits for nearly the same prices

I agree. Not being a Bandai fan myself, but i agree.

It´s just their decision., we have to live with it.

I say this. Revell's kits are generally a vast improvement over most of the old MPC/AMT/ERTL kits, but they just cannot compete with Bandai kits for nearly the same prices

I disagree, especially considering the AMT prequel kits, which are much better than the Revell offerings. Just compare the podracer kits, the AMT one is so much more detailed.

Regardless of the accuracy (which Revell doesn't get either), I also liked the old MPC/ERTL kits of the OT more than the Revell ones. Detail-wise I don't see too much difference, but the MPC kits actually felt like honest model kits, instead of the stupid toys Revell sells.

It depends - if their definition of "accurate" would be the same as between the Bandai and the Finemolds 1/72 X-Wing ...... no, no Bandai for me.

But i would love to see them bringing out the 72 MF, and a big SD - and be it only to have the chance to see them closeup and then to decide to refrain from having it, or putting it on the stash.
I'm talking about a well engineered falcon based on the studio model. Perfect shape, well sculpted greeblies, accurate sidewalls.

Not just a scaled up version of their 1/144

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm talking about a well engineered falcon based on the studio model. Perfect shape, well sculpted greeblies, accurate sidewalls.

Not just a scaled up version of their 1/144

Are you saying that's what the display model was?

There were a few inaccuracies but it wasn't a simple scaled up 144 model, the sidewalls were corrected, it had an OT dish,....the model showed an option to represent the lower hull as it was in Star Wars with 3 point gear or ESB/ROTJ with 5 gear

Compared to the amount of mods needed to make the FineMolds models or the MPC models any where near accurate, this kit looks like a walk in the park

J

How come you're not a fan of Bandai kits, if you don't mind me asking?

Nothing special - nothing against them, just not a fan.

Never was into their anime stuff, and when they started selling 1/72 their X-Wing wasn´t able to compete with FM (for me). Never looked for them after that.

Other scales from them might be better, but i´m mainly a 72 addicted nut.

MoldyCrowDio023.png

Fair enough mate. I've got the 1/72 Bandai x-wing but have never seen the FM in person, so can't really comment on the comparison. That diorama looks superb though! The tiny Gonk....

Are you saying that's what the display model was?

There were a few inaccuracies but it wasn't a simple scaled up 144 model, the sidewalls were corrected, it had an OT dish,....the model showed an option to represent the lower hull as it was in Star Wars with 3 point gear or ESB/ROTJ with 5 gear

Compared to the amount of mods needed to make the FineMolds models or the MPC models any where near accurate, this kit looks like a walk in the park

J
The display model was a bit of a mash up. Although I like the idea of having the landing bay option, I hope it isn't a transformer. Let's have bays that you can simply add on with glue and a couple of pegs. Or better yet, give us two sets of quadrents

I never really saw it as more than a one off. If I recall, even the radar dish looked undersized. I thought it was right off the fine molds model...

The display model was a bit of a mash up. Although I like the idea of having the landing bay option, I hope it isn't a transformer. Let's have bays that you can simply add on with glue and a couple of pegs. Or better yet, give us two sets of quadrents

I never really saw it as more than a one off. If I recall, even the radar dish looked undersized. I thought it was right off the fine molds model...

Well,...going by the FineMolds model.....which has a dish that is undersized.....so to correct it you'd need a dish by Scratchy or TonyRR....The whole model is undersized if you compare how much the FM 144 is to the Bandai,.....so thinking that the Bandai 72 was using the FM dish,......that would be REALLY small

Also you can see the emitter in the middle of the dish is the ANH one......it's correct

J

The Bandai 1:72 display model of the Falcon was extremely good, which made it so much more of a tease! The best commercial model of the 5 foot Falcon yet made. It wasn't just a scaled-up 1:144, since it has the OT sidewalls rather than the TFA, there's no mirroring so the left sidewalls are correct to the OT era, and the surface pipes are the OT pipes.

The only mistakes I can see are that they bizarrely included the incorrect cockpit tunnel greeblies from the 1:144 model, the dish is round but looks a tiny bit undersized, they include the ESB-era lighting points on the underside, and the cannons are TFA. Oh, and the panel patching to remove the extra landing gear isn't great.

The 1:144 is a pretty awesome model in itself, with astounding levels of detail. It's such a shame about the mirrored parts, but I've heard confirmation from a reliable source that the asset delivery timing theory is correct - that in order to get the model out the door in time for the release of TFA it was necessary to ship the unfinished digital assets to Bandai and the makers of the Battlefront video game. This also explains why the cockpit tunnel greeblies on the 144 model are so wrong - the designers just sort of freestyled.

Anyway. Such a drag that the 1:72 Bandai Falcon isn't a shipping product.

Well,...going by the FineMolds model.....which has a dish that is undersized.....so to correct it you'd need a dish by Scratchy or TonyRR....The whole model is undersized if you compare how much the FM 144 is to the Bandai,.....so thinking that the Bandai 72 was using the FM dish,......that would be REALLY small

Also you can see the emitter in the middle of the dish is the ANH one......it's correct

J
I just looked at it again. The dish didn't seem as undersized as I thought. And the reason it looked so scaled up to me (except for the side walls) is the cockpit and tube look almost exactly like the 1/144. As well, the gap between the hull and the mandibles is too wide. Overall, some of the hull thicknesses and panel lines seem rather scaled up.

Like I said, it's quite cool, but it's not one that I would buy

I'm new to Star Wars modelling and I'm looking to buy some kits.
Should i go for Bandai or Finemolds?
I've read some recent posts said that Finemolds are better, but how much are they better than Bandai?
Since they are much more expensive so i just want to make sure whether it's really worth to pay the extra.

Depends what you want to build, doesn't it?

Fine Molds no longer has a licence to sell Star Wars models. But three (I think) of their kits have been rebranded and resold as Revell's "master series."

So there's not a ton of overlap there. But I think the general consensus has been that Bandai's products are far superior to Fine Molds' were, on the whole.

I just looked at it again. The dish didn't seem as undersized as I thought. And the reason it looked so scaled up to me (except for the side walls) is the cockpit and tube look almost exactly like the 1/144. As well, the gap between the hull and the mandibles is too wide. Overall, some of the hull thicknesses and panel lines seem rather scaled up.

Like I said, it's quite cool, but it's not one that I would buy

As I said back in June

It looks like its the same basic file that was used to create the 1/144.....the details are exactly the same (incorrect) on the cockpit walkway.....the 2 access bays at the rear quarter have mirrored paneling,.....the same as the 1/144,....they should be slightly different,.....the starboard one is correct,....

There is a good gap in the hull & mandibles on the 5 footer,.....but if you dislike what they have done,...the gap can be reduced

J

Indeed! Compared to the horrendous errors on previous Falcon models, Bandai's sins are pretty minor and mostly easily fixed!

The main thing that annoys me is the tunnel greebly problem, because it's difficult to sort out without messing things up.

I'm new to Star Wars modelling and I'm looking to buy some kits.
Should i go for Bandai or Finemolds?
I've read some recent posts said that Finemolds are better, but how much are they better than Bandai?
Since they are much more expensive so i just want to make sure whether it's really worth to pay the extra.

Depends what you want to build, doesn't it?

Fine Molds no longer has a licence to sell Star Wars models. But three (I think) of their kits have been rebranded and resold as Revell's "master series."

So there's not a ton of overlap there. But I think the general consensus has been that Bandai's products are far superior to Fine Molds' were, on the whole.

If you're new to SW modeling, keep this in mind. When FM started making SW stuff, we finally had models that were about as good as models could be, in detail, quality, fit, and accuracy (there were, though, accuracy issues, mostly minor, but some puzzling). In this way, I would say that FM stuff was "far superior" to almost anything. However, they moved rather slow, producing something like 10 subjects in 10 years or so. It was so slow that there were often rumors that they were not going to make any more. Bandai has moved at a much faster pace, and maybe had 10 subjects in the first year. Bandai seems to have corrected some of the accuracy issues, and in this way they are seen as superior. However, most of the accuracy issues of FM kits are so minor most people would not notice them, especially if they weren't using references with very specific angles and measurements. (That's my take.) This is why I say that Bandia's stuff is mostly an improvement over FM, but not "far superior". FM stuff was already just that good. There wasn't enough room left to make something "far superior"--at least for most subjects. I have lots of Bandai and FM stuff in the stash, and I haven't seen any reason yet to get rid of the FM stuff. And since a lot of modelers have a favorite, they might have stronger opinions about certain ships.

Last I checked, it was still somewhat easy to get FM SW stuff, at least most kits at decent prices. If I started seeing FM kits selling regularly for "collector" prices, I would indeed start offloading some stuff to replace with Bandai, but I'm not selling a 72nd FM X for $25 to buy a Bandai 72nd X for $25. Too much hassle and not worth it. So that should show you whether I find Bandai far superior. I would recommend when you go looking, buy either and you'll be happy--probably (I don't really know your tastes).

One issue that some have with Bandai is that they are seen as "over-engineered" because of the parts breakdown. Consider the 72nd scale X-wing. The red stripes along the fuselage are separate pieces molded in red. And because different versions in ANH had different striping variations, there are several separate pieces for many of these options. Most of us would be just fine if the whole upper fuselage was one piece molded in whitish or light gray. And Bandai doesn't have red plastic for the wing stripes so you're still dealing with decals or painting stripes--and finding paint to match the other red plastic if you don't paint over it. If you ask me, I think Bandai did a very good job of producing this so that the separate pieces really do fit very well. I would prefer they didn't have all these separate pieces, but at least I'm satisfied with the way they fit together.

As was said, it has a lot to do with what you want to build and what you can find at what price. If FM stuff reaches collector prices, there's probably no reason to go for that. I haven't tracked what the Revell Master Series (reboxed FM stuff) is going for, either. By the way, there may be stuff from the other manufacturers to consider. Someone's got a nice TIE fighter (Revell?) but I could never find one when I looked. And I may get run out of the room for saying this, but I really like the original MPC/AMT Snowspeeder.

Mike Todd

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back